What's For Dinner? | Page 567 | FerrariChat

What's For Dinner?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by agup48, Apr 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I had ribs last night from a CDN chain restaurant called Montana's. Its o.k. for a chain restaurant. https://www.montanas.ca/

Side note: when I lived near Toronto Doug Flutie lived in the same neighborhood. Would bumped into him every time I went to Montana's there.

Tonight's menu is grilled T-bone and side of corn on the cobb. The store sells their steaks in a pack of two. Bought two packs. I'm going to try Atkins again and just eat red meats.

tomc likes this.
  2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Sriracha plus sugar, heat + sweet, like that. I assume the mayo is a binder?
    With my wife, I can get away with cayenne powder - specifically Tony Chachere's Cajun seasoning - if a) I don't tell her it is in there, and b) I don't overdo it! Anything north of that on the Scoville scale, and it's skunk eye time from the bride!

Homemade Ramen last night. Modeled after what I thought was the best batch we had (in a railway station in Kanazawa of all places) when we visited Japan years back. The broth is water, a little teriyaki sauce, a hunk of ginger (for ease of removal later), and 2 cloves of garlic powder, basil, parsley & cilantro (all dried). Once that was refluxing, I added in diced red onions (no scallions), celery (no bok choy), jicama (no daikon radish) & carrots (cuz we had some). Separately, I hard boiled 2 eggs. Let the soup simmer until celery was tender. At the end, brought it to a hard boil, stirred in some shaved beef (on sale @ Kroger + coupon; cha-ching! :D) , then brought it back to a boil. Poured this over 2 packs of Ramen. Let sit a few minutes until noodles soft. Put the boiled egg (halved) on top. Served. Shouted "Irasshaimase!" a couple of time for authenticity. Tasty!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Dessert was fresh baked chocolate chip cookies that our new neighbors brought over!
    I may have to relax my "ignore the neighbors" policy!
    T

Frank_C and I.T. Guy like this.
  3. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    yes, mayo for binding and a little moisture. Just a very thin layer of all 3. The sriracha really only adds a little heat. Can also sprinkle herbs instead of sweet.

4. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    It feels hot for us again. Don't feel like cooking over a hot grill. Think I'll get tuna and salmon sashimi with some rolls. Only take out that fits with my on again diet.

5. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
  6. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  7. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    You don't know JIB tacos when you see them?:eek:

arizonaitalian likes this.
  8. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I think we ate at Jack in the Box once, when we moved to Texas almost 20 years ago. I don't remember much about it. There is one about a mile from our house; never seems to be more than a couple of people in there.

What's good at JIB? And, don't say tacos. I ain't eating Jack in the Box tacos!

T

TexasF355F1 and wax like this.
  9. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Deeply fried hershey squirts.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

arizonaitalian and TexasF355F1 like this.
  10. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    First restaurant woohoo!

Our April reservation to Pearl Morissette kept getting pushed and finally happened last night.

Date night = electronics ban so no pics

As always it was worth it!

What I like about this place is they make juices to compliment each course so if you don’t drink you can still join In the wine pairing. Fantastic!

tomc likes this.
  11. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Still not yet. ;)

wax likes this.
  12. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    JIB isn't that bad, but better fast food around. Despite being another hot day, going to grill my T-bone.

TexasF355F1 likes this.
  13. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
  14. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    NbyNW and arizonaitalian like this.
  15. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I have another T-bone, but don't feel like grilling. Craving Chinese food, but the best Chinese place here is closed Mondays. Might get fish tacos instead.

16. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Ended up getting salmon and tuna sashimi with several orders of rolls. California, chopped scallop and some special rolls can't remember the name of. I ate too much.

17. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    All that rice, goodbye Atkins Diet!

Catching up...

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Shake N Bake Bone in pork chops.

Pizza. Homemade pasta sauce. Mozz. Basil from the garden.

Tonight was sloppy joes and Mac & cheese.

T

NbyNW and max930 like this.
  18. SCFerrari

SCFerrari F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 30, 2013
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Rob
  19. SCFerrari

SCFerrari F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 30, 2013
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Rob
    ronfrohock, tomc and TexasF355F1 like this.
  20. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    That's the one dish I have tried and have not mastered. That looks yummy...T

SCFerrari likes this.
  21. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Ad Reinhardt - master of the black painting . . .

"My painting represents the victory of the forces of darkness and peace over the powers of light and evil."

To which I say . . .

"My painting represents the victory of the forces of darkness and piece of chicken over the powers of light and evil."

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

SCFerrari likes this.
  22. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    So much for the diet. Did Pizza Hut with my brother. Large meat lovers and chicken wings. Brother paid and likes their chicken wings, hence Pizza Hut. Tonight its either a t-bone with corn on the cobb or a rib eye. My mom has also made a batch of spaghetti sauce, picking up my portion latter today. I'll have that tomorrow.

23. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #14173 arizonaitalian, Aug 5, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    Lost summer for me (won’t depress the thread with details), so little cooking and little good food.

An exception was when my brother and his wife visited me and we used the little charcoal grill at my airBnB to do up some ribeyes and potato’s.

Look how big the steaks were! (See large nearby idaho potatoes for scale) They came on the bone and these steaks are after I sliced two humongous steaks into 4 thinner steaks. The result was still over 1.25lb per steak.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

NbyNW, I.T. Guy and wax like this.
  24. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    All right, working that Weber Kettle like a pro! It's a sweet little piece of bbq kit, no?
    Welcome back and hopefully smoother sailing as we move into the fall.

Early in the chili game. Since the smoked chuck roast wasn't really all it could be, I thought it might be better as the base for chili.

Also, avert your eyes chili purists, chucked in veggies as they weren't getting any fresher in the veggie bin of the fridge. Celery, onion, jicama - diced. Tomato sauce, Williams chili powder, and a pinch of salt and cayenne powder.

Since it's been smoked already, not sure how long the chili will need to simmer. So, will need to play by ear.

T

25. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    thanks Tom.

that little Weber kicked my ass. I did as instructed here and got the chimney thingy and that helped a lot. I also followed the advice here and doubled or tripled the amount of charcoal I was using. So those moves plus a bunch of attention to the start-up at least got me to where I could cook something on it!

Made me realize I’m a total novice griller...

Which brings me to the next point...I’m getting a smoker for the first time in my life...got a cheapo pellet smoker coming when I move into a house later this month. I will need lots of guidance on what to do with it...

Oh, I’m hitting up two BBQ joints near where I’m staying in idaho falls...they look legit (for being here, rather than “there”). I’ll post in this thread from those two meals...