Taking the F12 plunge.... | FerrariChat

Taking the F12 plunge....

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by RogGT-R, Aug 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RogGT-R

RogGT-R Karting

Jul 20, 2020
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Roger B
    Afternoon all and great to be in new company.

As you can tell from forum name I am a long time GT-R owner and enthusiast (had an original 2010, I Still own the only UK Spec V ever made, one of 109 in the world, and just let my MY17 Nismo go).

Placed deposit on a 2015 F12 the other day and going to test drive and confirm/sign on Saturday, Not expecting any issues but better safe than sorry! It’s the Rosso over Crema car which is at JCT600, Leeds, UK and getting new battery (they will only fit Odyssey) pre delivery.

Anything to check out when there Saturday - bubbling under rear mesh obviously?

Cheers and look forward to chatting.

Roger.

sampelligrino, Caeruleus11 and ryalex like this.
  2. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I just picked up my 2015 on Friday. I've done 2,300 miles already!

3. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

In 4 days? Where did u go lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sampelligrino and ryalex like this.
  4. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Firstly, congrats to both of you guys! GTR to Ferrari V12 is a great choice. I've spent a lot of time in and around R35 GTRs, so I know them quite well.

2,300 miles in 4 days is a feat, and the right way to treat the car. You sir are a legend.

ryalex likes this.
  5. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Going out on a limb here, but I'm guessing you bought the car in Georgia and took the long way home. Looks like an awesome trip! Roads still fairly empty?

ryalex likes this.
  6. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Thanks, yes it was a great time. We got from Atlanta to Las Vegas in three days. It was my son's 14th birthday over the weekend.

Traffic wasn't bad until Utah (a few heavy spots in TN and CO), and only two or three highway patrol cars for the first 2,000 miles. I swear half of GA, TN, KY and MO freeway was under construction though. That didnt stop traffic from averaging 80-85 most of those states. Utah has 80mph areas, traffic paces way over that.

NYC Fred, ewright, bluesea and 6 others like this.
  7. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    It looks a very nice spec. Roger
    Check to see if it has PPF fitted, if not see if the paint is in good enough condition to get them to throw it in or get them to paint the front before fitting PPF.
    10,000 miles I guess they have changed the tyres but best to make sure.
    Get them to double check the oil level, I bought an F12 on Friday and it smoked a little on start up, so I checked the oil as per the book and it was 2" over top mark!!! They are sending someone out today to remove some with a special tool, [ so it must happen a lot] so much for the 190 point check.
    Water inside the tailgate ask them if it has been fixed or lift it up to check if you can hear anything. It gets in through the long thin light.
    The bolts on the cover on the inside of the tailgate that sits next to the glass and the catch, these sometimes get broken or stuck, undo the plastic wing nuts and see if they slide, just a small thing I know.
    Good luck, you will love it.

8. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
  9. Adamas

Adamas F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2012
    Out of town
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Holy **** Ryan!!!!- good on ya.

Mike

ryalex likes this.
  10. Natkingcolebasket69

ryalex likes this.
  11. 430jm

430jm Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2017
    Atlanta
    I believe I saw this car at FOA. Beautiful. My Corsa one says hello.

ryalex likes this.
  12. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Thank you, it's TdF blue. I wish it actually looked like that iPhone photo of us, most of the time in light it looks very dark (that guy was cool, he took video and photos on the highway outside Denver and we shouted our IG names and he forwarded some clips to me). Oddly it's under light at night it looks more of a nice indigo. It's going to be satin aqua though in a few weeks ;).

Thank you, thank you. BTW I totally understand the 'V12 or walk' thing now. I mean, I had driven 550 and 575 years ago, but the comfort *and* performance of the F12 is on another level. I know why guys would still have a V8 along with a V12, but for 98% of driving activity this is a better ride.

No, the 458 was Killed In Action three weeks ago by an elderly lady in a 1997 Buick Park Avenue who made a left turn into oncoming traffic and nailed two of us:
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/what-should-replace-my-458-a-poll.625582/

It was only there two months apparently, although it was a local, one-owner ATL car from new.

13. RogGT-R

RogGT-R Karting

Jul 20, 2020
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Roger B
    Epic job sir and congrats. We have (fingers crossed) 1,700 mile trip down to Alps via Montrachet and then to Chamonix mid September. Blasted Virus allowing.

14. Natkingcolebasket69

WoW sorry to hear ANd read but the f12 looks amazing !
    From my year at UNLV I Rmbr some interesting Vegas Drivers indeed!

ryalex likes this.
  15. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    #17 ryalex, Aug 5, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    Have them check the alternator belt too, make sure it has the updated 6-tooth belt (they switched from a 4 to 6 with new something else). I just dropped mine off for FoLV to put new Michelins on and new alternator belt.

But that would also be an epic trip. It just eats up the miles. 100+ uphill like nothing. It can burble along happily basically in 7th all day, and 7th has enough power across the band to maneuver on the freeway.

16. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011

Attached Files:

Inadeje, Caeruleus11 and ryalex like this.
  17. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Congratulations to you both!

RogGT-R and ryalex like this.
  18. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Congrats that is the way to do it. Now you have to take your son to the factory ! We’re going again in Oct !!

FOA can arrange.

sampelligrino, Caeruleus11 and ryalex like this.
  19. Natkingcolebasket69

As in, in
    Italy? Because right now unless u are Italian seems
    Unlikely

ryalex likes this.
  20. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Hopefully the situation will improve. Going to the factory is so worth it, lots of threads on it, use search.

21. RogGT-R

RogGT-R Karting

Jul 20, 2020
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Roger B
    Appreciated - few bits I didn’t know about there! I have asked about tailgate and they are coming back to me. How is that fixed (simple take off an Silicone?)?

Tyres appear almost new (they checked depths) and are Bridgestone which I thought was an odd choice? Brakes are 14% front 10% rear worn which seems fine for 10K miles?

Oil I will get them to double check (again) before I pick her up and will check it after a few miles as well.

No PPF but paint is in good condition they tell me and being flat red the matching shouldn’t be an issue should i need to paint front in future. I would probably go with the plastic spray rather than film as fine it’s really good at absorbing chips.

Thanks!

ryalex likes this.
  22. RogGT-R

RogGT-R Karting

Jul 20, 2020
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Roger B
    I am sure the dealers love these forums and the lists of questions I am going to send in advance of Saturday haha.

ryalex likes this.
  23. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #25 Wheels1, Aug 5, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    Basically yes, there are lots of threads on here about it and how to fix the water leak.

F12 oil level check .
    Use you book to check oil or:- remove the plastic cover around filler before you start.

Warm engine oil to 90 deg. /rev at 3000 rpm for 1 min/ idle for 2 min/ do not turn engine off remove oil filler cap and check oil level on dip stick within the next min. or you have to start again, the level should be mid-level on dip stick.

They removed 2L from my engine today, clearly someone did not know how to do it! He did tell me at the bottom level on the dip stick you still have 11L in it.

RogGT-R likes this.