Gordon Murray's T50 | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Gordon Murray's T50

Discussion in 'British' started by Igor Ound, Jun 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TopspeedPT

TopspeedPT Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2012
    Portugal
    Amazing car :cool:

Boomhauer likes this.
  2. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    greg328, GatedMurci and TopspeedPT like this.
  3. j34

j34 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2019
    USA
    Full Name:
    J
    Am I missing something or will this not possibly be the greatest car ever made?

4. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    Being we are all in the same tribe, though you all might enjoy Gordon Murray's T.50 dicussion on Harry's Garage utube channel. To paraphrase Gordon, "I wouldn't have done this project if the engine wasn't a NA and V12". Check it out:

He also mentions the wonderful sound of the Colombo 3.0 liter V12s from the 1960s.

Nembo1777, Woppum, elmadi and 3 others like this.
  5. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
    styling doesn't look like $3 million! something i would say 200k-350k?,,

Igor Ound likes this.
  6. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    The brilliance is in the clean simplicity. There are plenty of cars clad with wings and other crap that scream ‘look at me I have tons of money’. This is not for those folks and the fact that performance facts and figures are not front and center screams volumes for the type of owner they are targeting.

Nembo1777, elmadi, Zenit99 and 7 others like this.
  7. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Is this it ? The successor to the F1 and what Ferrari customers are never going to get , a super car , less than 1000 kgs, 12,000 plus RPM and the power of a 488 GTB !!!!!!

elmadi likes this.
  8. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Excellent interview. I'm a Harry fan, I like his videos, and how he thinks.

Gordon Murray is one of my most favorite designers ... and just a great guy. I met him several times when he was in F-1, but the first time was really funny.

I was in Detroit back in 1985 or 86, and I was sitting with all my dads camera equipment in the corner by a door, while he was out taking pics. then I see Murray walking towards me - the door I was next to and I just said, Hey Mr. Murray can I get your autograph? He looked at me like " who me? why do you want my autograph? and he said "sure, but how do you know me?" I said the Brabham in 83 was my favorite car, and I like your t shirts you wear!... he just chuckeld ... signed my litte note book and shook my hand .... After than I would see him and quickly say hello etc.. after that during races that I was attending.

klinkman, elmadi, Caeruleus11 and 8 others like this.
  9. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Understand the functionality of the fan, but "batmobile" anyone? Really not a proponent of the rear end.
    Other than that, yes, I'd take one. Love the size, weight, power, usability. A worthy successor to the F1.

elmadi likes this.
  10. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    And only ten times the cost of every other car ever mentioned in this section !

11. GHG

GHG Formula 3

Jan 29, 2008
    A proper antidote to the boring modern hyper car. Amazing.

elmadi, willcrook, Boomhauer and 3 others like this.
  12. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    If the $25M claims about F1 resale prices are true, the $3-4M (I didn't do the math) asking for the 100 copies of the T-50 seems a bargain.

13. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    This is it, so right! So happy they put a high rpm na engine, concepts like this should sell like bonkers!

elmadi likes this.
  14. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I love it, it is absolutely fabulous! But there's a reason why its a 100 unit production. Well worth it for those who can afford it.

elmadi and Boomhauer like this.
  15. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I loved the part where he said (paraphrasing): I don’t care what the 0-60 time is, I don’t care what the top speed is, it has to be emotionally rewarding. It will be fast enough.

Exactly!

Boomhauer, uhn2000 and Ash Patel like this.
  16. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    10000% agree, while Ferrari seems to take another route on this one, good stuff that other brands realize what (at least me) customers want

Boomhauer, Thecadster, Bas and 3 others like this.
  17. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I keep wondering why a 2 million £, limited edition hypercar, has been posted on this section.

m5shiv and gmo28 like this.
  18. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Really didn't think it would create such concern, but if Mods would like to move it with all the other talks about other cars like Mclarens that would be great.

FYI III tell you why I posted here. With this series of rear engine Ferraris and the continual debating N/A vs Turbo this would put it to rest ! Neither the 458 N/A andTurbo series match this and hell neither does the LaFerrari

There is NO ELECTRICS !!!! Damn even 48 volt which should have been employed 20 years ago.

This is the epitome of that driving experience . The love the passion which made past Ferraris legendary. Light weight, rear engine, N/A ,High Rev, Sound etc etc

BUT a centre driving position !!!!!!!. Gee after seeing this who in their right mind would buy a McLaren long tail ????

MY POINT is why would a automobile institution like Ferrari quash this idea back in 2010 when the 458 was released.

greg328, Bas and IloveGT like this.
  19. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Gordon is right on the money. He pushed the envelope with the F1 and he has done it again. With the advent of electric cars they will win in the speed comparison.

This is engineering excellence.

Pis7a2020, Ash Patel and Bas like this.
  20. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Considering its price, it is in LaFerrari's class, so the 458 discussion is moot; hence the opposition regarding posting it here. The LaFerrari will be nearly 10 years old if and when the T50 reaches production and in absolute numbers shouldn't be much slower, if at all. Given that they 'll cost similar money, the Valkyrie seems like the superior concept and the next step forward in hypercars.

Because this is just an extremely limited production curio, that doesn't have to worry about pricing, average CO2 and what the majority of buyers want, other than 100 collectors. May I remind the uptake of the manual transmission last time Ferrari offered one? IF the T50 gets into production after all... They haven't even tested a single prototype!!!

PS: The T50 has an electric element too, just a small one, contributing about 30 HP.

21. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Please don't make me laugh the Valkyrie. You totally miss the point. No electric , no silly looking pieces of crap carbon all around the car, no manual.

Its not all about speed.

I guess you don't appreciate the balls he has to make this given no other company has contemplated such a design totally against all other designs.

The F1 was a masterstroke and this the T-50 will be also.

BJK, Nuvolari, Ash Patel and 2 others like this.
  22. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas

fully agree.

This is the type of car Ferrari needs to make. Forget the V12 for a brief moment:

The 458 engine was a sheer masterpiece. mate that to a 1000kg car that focuses on the driving experience rather than crazier and crazier numbers.

@360trev 's car is exactly the type of car Ferrari should be.

elmadi, Pis7a2020, italiafan and 2 others like this.
  23. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I don’t like the way it looks. It’s far less pretty than the F1, a real disappointment. And please, are we seriously trying to take a £2.5m car, to be produced in minute quantity (where emissions, safety, economics and marketability rules are vastly different) and say “see, this is where Ferrari is going wrong”? Get real.

The engineering, for what the car is - a one-off statement, super expensive, super rare - is superb. He really is a master at that. And for those who buy one, I’ll bet it delivers on the promise he makes - could it be the best roadgoing drivers’ car ever made? I think it could you know.

But don’t use it to beat up Ferrari, who are working for a very different audience, with a very different set of restrictions placed on them.

The (Renault) Alpine he mentioned is interesting. It is a great car, a friend has one. It is exactly what some say Ferrari should do - less power, less tech, less weight. Renault are stopping production because sales have been terrible. They have sold less than Ferrari sold 488s! So for Ferrari to resist calls to make a ‘cheap’ (I.e. not hypercar price) low weight, not highly-powered car, there might be a good reason for that.

REALZEUS likes this.
  24. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

So what about Porsche with manual cars and N/A.???

The T-50 will be up against all the hypo cars including the new LaF what ever it is. koenigsegg , Peganni etc.

BTW he also mentions the 250

What im pointing out is that when the my penis is bigger than yours with regards to speed is over, and ( frankly you aren't going to deny that Ferrari is on second foot with this now ) is dead the T-50 is a better concept.

Boomhauer and italiafan like this.