road speed signal | FerrariChat

road speed signal

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by david telfer smollett, Aug 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. david telfer smollett

Aug 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    david telfer smollett
    where does the road speed signal originate from on a 599? i do not want to take off the dash to get at the back of the speedometer..

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Do you have any warning lights illuminated? I would have thought that a speed sensor would have generated numerous warnings for systems which use wheelspeed including engine management, ASR, ABS, etc). Not to give you a Ferrari history, but on the F355 & 348, the speed sensor was on the gearbox and the pulses were sent from this to the speedometer which then sent data to other systems, but on the 456M, 550, etc, they use a combination of wheel speed sensors which feed pulses into the ABS/ASR computer. The ABS/ASR computer then sent a speed signal to speedo and other systems.

Looking at the parts manual for the 599, there is a speed sensor on the gearbox, but that's for the F1 system (there isn't one on the manual car). The speed sensors on the 599 appear to be on the wheel hubs.

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v12/gt-group-2-seat/599/rear-suspension-shock-absorber-and-brake-disc/197232-bearing-for-wheel.html

Posts on the 599 forum say that wheel sensors can cause ABS, Manettino and CST errors.

Experts?

3. david telfer smollett

Aug 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    david telfer smollett
    sorry,i should have been more specific..
    i am in the process of retrofitting cruise control...which is not a ferrari option...
    i do not want to have to purchase an expensive wiring diagram to identify a single feed..
    i can link to a gps,but that is something more to hide,and i want the car to look standard..
    if i can tap into the speed sensor without it being obvious it will make for a better result..
    we have to many cameras here in u.k.not to have cruise at certain times..
    i am unsure as to ferraris thinking in not offering it as an option..
    the potentiometer on the throttle pedal is standard fiat..
    i thank you for your response.

4. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

if retrofit cruise control is your sole purpose, speed signal from ABS ecu or from instrument cluster is the way to go, regardless where the signal is coming from

5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I see. Even if you had a wiring diagram or plug pinout diagrams, Ferrari wiring are not known for their user-friendliness. I've spent years trying to produce easier to read diagrams. Unfortunately I have none for the 599.

Traditionally, Ferrari use yellow-white wires for speed-related wires, but finding a yellow-white wire in a harness of hundreds of wires might prove difficult. Also Ferrari diagrams don't show splice location.

Speed signal frequency might also be a problem. On earlier cars, speed signal frequency is halved prior to sending the data to other systems. I don't know if your add-on kit can compensate for this.

Hopefully some 599 experts can chime in here.

Good luck!

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Cruise control was optional on the 612, which uses the same architecture as the 599. Seeing how they installed CC on the 612 may tell you how to do it on your 599.

Qavion likes this.
  7. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I find this most interesting.Always thought that such a great cruiser should have CC.Please keep us posted on your progress.Thanks,Mike

8. david telfer smollett

Aug 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    david telfer smollett
    thanks taz..ferrari says there is no retrofit for a 599..i did inquire of our local agent in exeter as to a 612,and that apparently is possible,tho they needed the chassis number to check..i understood it might not be possible on the earliest cars.
    i will ask them again ref. the 599..

9. david telfer smollett

Aug 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    david telfer smollett
    will do..david

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Cruise control is not in the MY 06 612 US/Can OM, but is in the MY 10 OM. May have been introduced when the change was made from Motronic 7.1.1 to 7.3.2, but that is a guess. At one point I seem to remember it was a US only option.

Is your 599 7.1.1 or 7.3.2? Might make a difference for using 612 parts for a close to OEM set-up.

11. david telfer smollett

Aug 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    david telfer smollett
    thanks taz..i'm very ignorant..how can i tell which motronic unit i have?
    would i find out from the owners manual?
    would ferrari tell me based on the chassis number?

12. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Seems like the change was made around SN 156938. Earlier SNs cannot have the ECUs upgraded to HGTE.