Gordon Murray's T50 | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Gordon Murray's T50

Discussion in 'British' started by Igor Ound, Jun 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Making my way through the video and enjoying the education. Helps me appreciate the concept more than just a semi-generic appearing modern mid engine w a fan.
    However, IMO, it doesn't make much sense to compare the T.50 to the 488 or similar production cars.
    Could production cars learn from it? Only if they want to go the fan route.
    Regardless, the T50 is playing in it's own sandbox as a bespoke product of one man's creation.

elmadi and greg328 like this.
  2. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    the reason is so it can go through low manufacturers standards for emissions etc iirc

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  3. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    it's in a different class imo, the next new lot of hypercars will be 1500hp monsters that are even more undrivable on the roads than the last lot!

elmadi, F2003-GA, greg328 and 2 others like this.
  4. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Who the hell wants a Renault?

5. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    It’s probably in this section because more people will see it.

6. JohnTz

JohnTz Karting

Jun 21, 2018
    Inverness, IL
    Full Name:
    John Tz
    I think it’s incredibly engineered but for a very niche buyer. Will be highly collectible and very special for that select group. It’s fantastic to see what smart people are capable of. I enjoy things like this and not try to make comparisons between a 100 car manufacturer and a large established public company.
    The t.50 is simply fantastic and I would buy one in a heartbeat if I could afford it, but sadly I can’t but I can still enjoy my lovely 488 that has a lot more capability than I have driver skills .

elmadi, greg328 and MANDALAY like this.
  7. bamaman

bamaman Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2015
    Mobile Alabama
    Full Name:
    William M (B.J.) Lyon, Jr.
    Awesome vehicle, kudos to Gordon, wish I could buy one. Ridiculous features--no accessory belts, suction fan with changeable downforce at varying speeds, best V12 ever...

elmadi, MANDALAY and Boomhauer like this.
  8. bamaman

bamaman Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2015
    Mobile Alabama
    Full Name:
    William M (B.J.) Lyon, Jr.
    I forgot to add, lastly but not least, the manual gearbox with engine rev match.

elmadi and MANDALAY like this.
  9. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #159 Shadowfax, Aug 6, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    Love the v12 manual concept and would love it even more in a Pista or similar body. Not sure why Ferrari hasn't done something like it on a higher production scale given their F1 history given the obvious amount of takers there would be for the product. Instead of fighting against their own roots they need to look at the real opportunities which put them where they are in the first place and take them with arms wide open.

10. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Some people consider these to be drawbacks. Electrification offers a lot in terms of performance and will be kind of mandatory emissions-wise. A manual in such a car makes no sense to me. A huge surge of acceleration and then a lengthy pause for an archaic mechanism to achieve a gear change. It is just counter intuitive and anachronistic. It ruins both performance and balance. Not to mention the uptake last time Ferrari offered a manual...

klinkman likes this.
  11. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Those "some people" wouldn't know a good thing if it reared up and bit them on the nose.

elmadi, BJK, greg328 and 2 others like this.
  12. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I think it is in this section, as are a number of non-458 (etc.) discussions, because people here have come to know and chat with a great group of people here. These sub forums often become sub communities of people who know the landscape of each others’ backgrounds, opinions, and credibility.

MANDALAY likes this.
  13. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I love how he refers to it as “decay.” True with a light flywheel and quick revving car there will be a big drop, and he mentions the satisfaction in getting it “right.” He seems to be relying upon rev matching to help with that it seems.
    I have a manual ‘18 911 GT3 (albeit dual mass flywheel) and the rev matching and no-lift shifting does make quick shifts possible.
    Again, I think his concept is to focus 100% on driver enjoyment not speed statistics.
    And for a lucky 100 or so people they are going to get a gem.

14. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    This is it. At this level of power and acceleration statistics, numbers become redundant. But posers don't understand this concept.

15. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Cool car, wrong section.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in my 2 cents about this car vs Ferrari (and the rest): I think this thing is cool like a Morgan or a Caterham, they´re deliberately obsolete. Still cool, but I don´t think that´s what Ferrari (and the rest) should make. Yes, modern cars are too big and have too much power, but that should not be an excuse to skip hybridization, anti-pollution measures, flappy paddels and that stuff that cars of the 21st century are supposed to have.

My 2 cents, part deux: I have always thought that Gordon Murray is a smart ass. Yeah, nice job, and now try to build that car at a reasonable price and sell a few hundreds of them every year, like those of "inferior engineering" are doing.

REALZEUS likes this.
  16. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Why sell it at a reasonable price ? Max price low volumes = success. Ask a F1 owner

elmadi and Boomhauer like this.
  17. christiann

christiann Karting

Nov 29, 2006
    Is this the twilight zone? Who cares what section/forum it’s in. Also the amount of complaining is never ending. He put his balls on the line and made what he wanted to make end of story. He went down a path that most people would have said your crazy this won’t work. It was a rifle shot to the correct demographics. Rant is over Don Julio 1942 is calling.

tomc, MANDALAY, greg328 and 2 others like this.
  18. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    I am sure about the rear design.

19. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    I’d ask your eye doctor about that

20. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Yes, I get that: less cars, you have to charge more. My comment was more about the smart assness of Murray and that his car is the best engineered ever, blah, blah. He seems to forget that higher volume manufacturers have to cope with more constrains.

But anyway, the car is what it is: a different product for a specific niche of the market, and I suppose it it w be succesful at that.

crinoid likes this.
  21. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
  22. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    Doesn’t the new Stratos use a 458 engine?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

23. j34

j34 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2019
    USA
    Full Name:
    J
    The car looks just fine. I love the F50 but that doesn’t exactly look beautiful either. This seems to me a modern F50 that looks slightly better to me.

24. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Based on a 430 is it not?

25. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019