Perhaps why Perez flew to Mexico ? | FerrariChat

Perhaps why Perez flew to Mexico ?

Discussion in 'F1' started by william, Aug 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Sergio Perez reportedly flew to Mexico to save his seat at Racing Point F1

https://www.essentiallysports.com/f1-news-sergio-perez-reportedly-flew-to-mexico-to-save-his-seat-at-racing-point-f1/?fbclid=IwAR1_Ug0SmUFaHs4IrilAHdhLppMlvnlhKrcG79mdkc4hcns9RLwdWqhHzXA

The reason behind Sergio Perez taking a trip back to his home country of Mexico was to spend time with his mother. Besides, Perez had got the green light from Racing Point to return to Mexico and had done so, only after having taken the necessary precautions. Nevertheless, he contracted the virus and, as a result, has been ruled out from the British Grand Prix.

However, new reports have emerged, suggesting that Perez’s trip to his homeland wasn’t only born out of the desire to meet his family.

On the contrary, he was there to negotiate a business deal. One which would have got Racing Point additional funding.

Was Sergio Perez trying to do his level best to ensure he retains his seat with Racing Point for the next year?

According to RaceFans.net, “Perez hopes that a boost in Mexican funding would see him retained. Key to all this is BWT, the team’s primary sponsor. (They) insist that cars and kits be painted a particularly gaudy shade of pink in exchange for $20 million in annual funding.

“Team owner (and Aston Martin Chairman) Lawrence Stroll is said to be concerned that the current livery clashes with the more macho image of the James Bond brand, and would prefer to drop the water treatment company after the name change.”

Unless you have been living under a rock, you’d know that Perez’s future with the Silverstone-based outfit is far from certain. Despite having a contract with them for next year, Perez can practically hear an out of contract Vettel breathing down his neck. There have even been ‘loose talks’ between the 4-time World Champion and Racing Point.

This pressure may have lead Perez to step forth and assure the team that he could convince Carlos Slim to loosen up his wallet. Slim, the world’s fifth-richest man, is already a benefactor of Racing Point.

If Perez could get Slim to pump $10 million more into the team, Racing Point could drop BWT and the dreaded pink color scheme. Additionally, as a reward for his efforts, Stroll could allegedly let Perez stay on for 2021.

That was reportedly the master plan. However, we’ll only know if the plan came to fruition next year. If this indeed was the reason for Perez to go to Mexico, then for the sake of Perez’s health, we hope that all the hard work hasn’t gone in vain.

SOURCE- RaceFans.net

2. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Money and F1.........what virus lol :) Not surprised if this is true.

3. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Stupid move; whatever the reason.

Patrick Dixon likes this.
  4. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Check's wife deleted some Instagram photos of them in Mexico during his time in Mexico.....photos in Sardinia and a Mexican restaurant.

ESPN Mexico confirms this.

Yeah, dumb move on his part IMO.

5. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Don't you hate it when auto correct changes Checho to Check?

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  6. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Yep, I meant to type Checo.

7. DF1

Mask free they were. So his statement of remaining in the bubble or proper pre-cautions could be 'suspect' potentially.

8. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Yep

9. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    I think i read that there is a clause in his contract for 2021 that it can be terminated , before July 31 2020...so that date has now passed .So he would now be in a stronger position to negotiate an exit deal,or maybe even hang on to his seat?

10. DF1

Via Autosport -
    Racing Point has confirmed there was no exit clause in Sergio Perez's contract that required the team to decide on his future by 31 July.

Racing Point is currently in talks with Ferrari driver Sebastian Vettel about joining the team for 2021, when it will rebrand as Aston Martin, despite having two drivers under contract already.

11. garrobitto

garrobitto Karting

Jul 12, 2020
    Alameda
    Full Name:
    Garrobito Alado
    He went to secure $$$ from sponsors (Carlos Slim still supporting him?? I lost track on this point) and his mom suffered an accident... not a good idea but money is the best way to secure your seat in an F1...

pilotoCS likes this.
  12. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Another idiot journalist trying to produce fake breaking news. :rolleyes:

Bas likes this.
  13. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Agree. Tired of Williams' narrative.

Hey @william , any come back on your 60 mile Corona shopping trip yet? Or still choosing to ignore it?

Flavio_C likes this.
  14. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

In case you haven't noticed, I posted the article of RaceFan net for information without adding my personal opinion on the subject.
    So there is no "Williams' narrative" [sic].

I will ignore the rest of your post.

If you have an issue with my posts, I suggest you report them to the moderators.

15. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Please, I don't have to keep the moderators busy by pointing out your sheer hypocrisy. Just more proof (as if it was needed!) that you are here simply to troll. We already established long time ago they have no interest in banning such people, but take a far more short sighted approach.

stavura likes this.
  16. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    RACING POINT: Public Health England have confirmed that Sergio Perez’s period of quarantine has been completed. In line with the FIA Code Of Conduct,

Sergio requires a verified negative test result for COVID-19 before he can enter the paddock.

Should here something tonight or tomorrow morning on Lance's team-mate.

DF1 likes this.
  17. DF1

Certainly good news for Perez. I think he should wait the 10 days to be sure. F1 has done well so far. No need to rush anything but that is the NIH call in the UK

18. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    He was tested when the quarantine was 7 days ..they changed it to 10 days after that for others.Lucky boy.

19. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    It's very confusing. What is the sense of quarantine if he was tested positive anyway? Doesn't he need two consecutive negative tests to come in again?

Bas likes this.
  20. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    I find it hard to believe he can pass a COVID test so soon after having a positive result.

Even if he’s a asymptomatic and the virus is not active he could keep testing positive since the test will still pick up the genetic artifacts of the virus. If they do a culture to check for live virus, this will take a few days to get results.

Flavio_C, william and Bas like this.
  21. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    CONFIRMED: Hulkenberg will drive for the team this weekend.

Racing Point: Sergio’s test has returned a positive result he will continue to follow the guidance of Public Health England. He is physically well and recovering.

Perez returned another positive result, he will continue to follow the guidance of Public Health England.

22. DF1

10 days was a more rational time frame. No surprise that he showed a positive test now.

23. DF1

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  24. DF1

Your wife deleting photo's is virtual proof you left the bubble no matter how careful. Now your angry. Take a look in the mirror. It does not 'just happen' to people Sergio. You put yourself in position to be affected. You left and are responsible. Stop being a victim.

https://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/29653507/perez-angered-unprofessional-stories-positive-covid-test

Sergio Perez has criticised the coverage of his positive COVID-19 tests, saying the story of his trip home to Mexico ahead of the British Grand Prix has been blown out of proportion.

Perez missed the two races held at Silverstone this month after a positive test, a result which was replicated ahead of the 70th Anniversary Grand Prix. He has returned for the third race in this triple header, the Spanish Grand Prix, following a negative test ahead of the Barcelona event.

At the time of the first positive test, Perez explained that he had gone home to visit his mother, who had just come out of hospital, but some reports suggested his trip had been slightly wider ranging. Perez hit back at those stories ahead of this weekend's race.

"I found it very unprofessional, those things," the Mexican driver said in an interview with F1's official website. "It's a total lie. "I went to Mexico for two days to see my mum, with all the precautions in place. I took care of everything, followed all the guidelines."

"When I was in quarantine I saw everything, I saw people saying I was taking with selfies with people, I saw that I made up the story about my mum, so much ********. So unrespectful."

Perez said it is unfair to make assumptions about the virus.

"People here in Formula One think we are bulletproof to the virus, and that's not the case. We're all very vulnerable to this. I've done nothing differently to anyone else in this paddock. It just happened to me. It happened to another friend in another team, when I was in quarantine he called me and said 'look, I tested positive too'. It can just happen to anyone.

"What cannot happen is that if tomorrow someone else infected that people make up stories instead of being worried about their health."

25. DF1

Sergio Perez may have caught COVID-19 from a private chef he hired upon returning to Europe after his trip to Mexico, according to Formula 1 team boss Otmar Szafnauer.
    Perez became the first F1 driver to test positive for COVID-19 on the eve of the British Grand Prix at Silverstone, ruling him out of the race weekend.

The Mexican driver was forced to quarantine in line with the UK's official guidelines, meaning he also missed the 70th Anniversary Grand Prix one week later.

Perez returned to the track in Barcelona on Friday during practice for the Spanish Grand Prix after returning negative test results earlier this week.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/perez-may-have-caught-covid-19-from-private-chef/4856175/