Looking for Exhaust Pipe + 1985 Prugna on eBay | FerrariChat

Looking for Exhaust Pipe + 1985 Prugna on eBay

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Edgewood121, Jul 31, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Edgewood121

Edgewood121 Rookie

Aug 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    F. Skirianos
    Hello all,

The prior owner of my 1985 Mondial had a Magnaflow custom exhaust installed ($2,500) but it is way too loud for my tastes. I do have the original muffler and original hogged-out cat shell, but I am missing the intermediate pipe, which appears to have been sliced-and-diced for the Magnaflow install. Anyone have an intermediate pipe lying around?

The idea is to go back to the original set-up for now and sell the Magnaflow kit, since it would help recover funds spent bringing my sunroof back to life like a mighty Phoenix from the ashes. It's nice having a working (though not necessarily completely aligned...yet...) sunroof.

While researching said intermediate pipe, it appears the 1985 QV USA exhaust system is different than the 1983 - 1984 system. The 1985 system resembles the 3.2 and 328 systems. The intermediate pipe part number on the 3.2 system is #128189 but the part number for the 328 is #128188. Not sure if there is a difference? I can't find a 1985 QV parts catalog showing the USA exhaust, so I'm flying a bit blind. Folks with engine transplant experience will probably know these details.

Seeking a visual, I did notice a 1985 Prugna Cabriolet on eBay with a $50k Buy-It Now teaser. As it happens, one of the photos gives a pretty clear shot of the pipe in question. After viewing the pic, all chuckles are welcome. I'll just leave it at that.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

As always, all help would greatly be appreciated!

2. AndruL

AndruL Karting

Apr 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    AndruL
    The setup in the picture above looks like the muffler is bypassed and just hanging there. The exhaust exits directly out of the cat and vented directly to the atmosphere with the hose. That should be loud...

3. Edgewood121

Edgewood121 Rookie

Aug 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    F. Skirianos

Bingo. I was waiting for someone to pick up on that. Maybe it's the ultra-rare "exhaust optimization" package from the factory? Selling dealer should try to upsell that feature along with the ACE Hardware zip ties holding up the exhaust.

Kind of cheeky to ask $50k for a Mondial with a septic hose hanging off the cat, but what do I know.

4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Look on Eurospares uk web site, shows the usa exhaust with the cat etc, plate 20 on the 3.2 1987 mondial
    Pipes seem to be 128189+ 126534

5. AndruL

AndruL Karting

Apr 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    AndruL
    Not pretty for sure but it's a quick and dirty way to delete the muffler. Wonder what that sounds like...

6. Edgewood121

Edgewood121 Rookie

Aug 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    F. Skirianos
    Yes, that's correct but I was wondering if it is the same part as the 308/328, which seems a bit easier to source. The part number for the 308/328 is #128188, so I'm not sure what the difference is, especially if it's the same motor, cat, etc?

I guess I was kind of hoping that someone who extensively removed their own Mondial exhaust for a custom setup might have this part lying around. I've located 128188 from a 328 from a couple of sources but I'm not sure it's the same as 128189 for a Mondial. Might have to gamble on this one...

7. Edgewood121

Edgewood121 Rookie

Aug 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    F. Skirianos
    Guessing something like this:

Sounds a bit like a Chevy 350 at start-up. Too loud and raspy for my tastes. Besides, loud exhausts make the Mondial sound faster than it actually is. :eek:

Bradley123 and AndruL like this.
  8. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Interchangeable parts are normally the same pt nos with ferrari

9. Edgewood121

Edgewood121 Rookie

Aug 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    F. Skirianos

That's what I was thinking too but I have also read that sometimes parts are the same but just different #'s for cataloging purposes. From the diagrams, they look identical. Not sure if the Mondial part has a slight angle variation somewhere? I can't locate a picture on the internet of a used Mondial part either, to see if maybe I could eyeball some sort of difference.

Attached Files:

10. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Try Ferrparts, AW Italian, or GT Car Parts. All have helped me find weird stuff for my '83.

Incidentally, 85 wasn't the only odd year with Mondial's. '83 cars can have different part combinations. My car is an early '83 coupe, It came with a fusebox and muffler/exhaust from a Mondial 8, and the earlier of two different manifold styles used on the 3.0 QV (but different from the 8). If you had a later '83-84 it would have the newer components. But then apparently by mid '85 you could be seeing 3.2 era stuff. Go figure.

Matthew 6:19 likes this.
  11. Edgewood121

Edgewood121 Rookie

Aug 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    F. Skirianos

Hey, thanks for the tips on the part search. I will reach out to them for sure. Extremely grateful. You actually got me thinking more critically about why I think there is a difference. Now I believe I "overthought" things and was confused by the Euro muffler (two inlets), which I saw pics of on some US-based parts houses vs. the US muffler (one inlet).

Also, it feels like practically all Mondials have replacement exhausts, so I couldn't find a clean pic of an original QV system. Now doing a more thorough surgical search (which I should have done the first go around, so duh on me), I think all QV and 3.2 Mondials with US exhausts are the same (well....maybe it sounds like starting after your 1983, they are the same). :confused:

Not finding US-exhaust parts diagrams for the Mondial 3.0qv and 308qv is what's making this a bit tricky.

12. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yeah it's very tricky. It seems Ferrari phased parts in and out instead of a hard line "all "83 cars have this, all '85 cars have that". And then of course you have different setups for different markets. I have resorted to just taking a picture of the part I need and sending it to the parts guys with the build date of my car. So far that's worked out.

13. Edgewood121

Edgewood121 Rookie

Aug 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    F. Skirianos

Well....you got me thinking some more. I'm still trying to figure out where I got the idea of the different exhaust set-ups, so I went back and looked at the parts manual that came with my car. Lo-and-behold, it's dated 1983 for the US Market and....lo-and-behold....it has a twin cat set-up which I thought was standard for most of the 1983 - 1985 QV lineup. I thought maybe my 1985 was part of a crossover year set-up but in reality, you helped clarify that indeed 1983 was possibly the crossover year for US markets. 1984 and later Mondial exhausts (maybe some 1983's too....or maybe starting in 1984 or 1985?) for the US market have a single cat. Also, it seems the 1983 Mondial for the US also has EGR and an air pump whereas later Mondials only have pulse air.

The parts sources I checked didn't have the 1983 US catalog (or maybe they did and I must have missed it).

So from what you're saying about your exhaust, it probably resembles this picture:

davemqv likes this.
  14. Edgewood121

Edgewood121 Rookie

Aug 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    F. Skirianos

Just found this in a 1984 Mondial QV Owner's Manual - US Version. Shows the single cat set-up as opposed to the twin cat set-up of your 1983.

15. Matthew 6:19

Matthew 6:19 Karting

Dec 19, 2018
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    That is what my 83 looks like. But not for long; got a Tubi, gonna cut the cats and straight pipe to the muffler.

16. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    This is the "new version" of the 1983 set up which carried over into '84, I believe.. My set up is the earlier version, which is a transitional set up between the 8 and the QV. The muffler connects via two pipes, not one. Pic attached. Sorry it's the only angle I have.

17. Edgewood121

Edgewood121 Rookie

Aug 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    F. Skirianos

Is there anything wrong with your cats? I've read stories on this forum of Mondial owners reporting less mid-range power (but a slight increase up top) when removing the cats. I've heard that in general as well. Some owners even re-install their cats just because that. Don't cut those precious cats if you don't have to! Maybe install some straight pipes with matching flanges so you could swap back if ye wanted?

18. Edgewood121

Edgewood121 Rookie

Aug 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    F. Skirianos

Ya, that pic above from the 1983 Mondial US-version parts catalog has two flanges...but it's tough to make it out. Check it out. I'm guessing the part # on your muffler matches that pic. Your muffler looks like it resembles it.

davemqv likes this.
  19. Matthew 6:19

Matthew 6:19 Karting

Dec 19, 2018
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    That's an interesting thought on how to make the change. In my reading and talking to other Mondial owners, I haven't heard any negatives about removing the cats, other than places where its a regulatory issue. Nearly everyone I've read/talked to have been very happy with the result of the switch. These are, after all, 37 year old cats, that were't that good when new. Same for the muffler. Making the change should give a much nicer sound, more air flow, and help it run much cooler than stock set-up. But again, thanks for the flange idea..... I'm gonna ponder that.

Edgewood121 likes this.
  20. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Aha! Good eye! Looks like you're correct.

Edgewood121 likes this.