Call me crazy but I miss my 488 | FerrariChat

Call me crazy but I miss my 488

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by racerdj, Aug 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    While the 812 is exceptional, especially being non-GPF, the sound outstanding. Fortunately the 812 has 4 wheel steering which makes is more nimble than no rear steering. It is a larger car than my 488 but seems faster and louder. It just checks almost all the boxes. After seeing my 488 unsold, I checked Continental's website a few days too late as I was going to buy it back. To me the 488 was a blast to drive, extremely responsive and the sound was very good, with the vacuum lines disconnected. It was never driven in the rain, had a complete X-pel plus ceramic from the start and only 2900 miles. I have looked for another 488 but have not had any luck duplicating the options I had on mine. Several members have both the Ferrari V-12 and V-8 and I should have paid more attention to what they were saying. With the prices of the 488's now, to me it's one great car for the money.
    And for further thought, I still miss my 458 and really miss my three pedal F-430!!

2. JB1997

JB1997 Karting

Mar 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Brainard
    Idk if you have seen this anywhere but there is a company in Texas that converts 430 Scuderias to manual. Matt Farrah did a OneTake review on YouTube of it if you ever decide you want to go 3-pedal 430 route again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

racerdj likes this.
  3. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Doesn't the conversion kill resale ?

4. JB1997

JB1997 Karting

Mar 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Brainard
    It wouldn’t entirely surprise me because the company that does it is not all that well known. Was more of a thought if you wanted to have an amazing car that you will more than likely keep for life. As in not worrying too much about resale.

5. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    RacerDJ, I have always thoroughly loved and enjoyed my 488 (2018 now w/ approx 15,00miles), but since receiving my 202 812 (amazing), I have come to appreciate my 488 even more. I drove my new 812 daily for a week straight. Then, I hopped into my 488 and re-discovered its fine points all over again. Perfect stablemates.

6. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I purchased my 488 in Feb. I absolutely it. My 488 and ain't going anywhere!!!

JDINPA, racerdj and blkdiablo33 like this.
  7. Clembo

Clembo Formula Junior

I have 488 and 599. Great contrast and love them both, but the performance and feel of the 488 is spectacular and it is a blast to drive.

racerdj and Napoli like this.
  8. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
  9. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    I would get the 720s or .2 gt3 manual instead. way much car for the current market price. Unless the dealer is willing to give the car back to you at your trade in plus their cost of putting it onto the floor. Did you have to take a bath when selling the 488 to them in the first place?

Just so many awesome cars around for little money. Heck, just saw a deep blue 718 gt4. If the gear ratio becomes shorter this time around, I would have gotten it too.

What color is your 488?

10. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Ross Scuderia

11. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    You’re crazy...

:D

j34 likes this.
  12. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Suggest you get the 812 aligned, likely you will find some extra nimbleness. Might not be as nimble as the mid engined car, but its not too expensive and worth it.

Mike Chawla likes this.
  13. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Go back to the 488GTB. Valves open she is a blast

14. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    I sold my 458 and bought a Grigio Ferro 488GTB only last week...I can't believe how much better it is compared to the 458..Too many people are allowing nostalgia cloud their judgement on which is the better car..The 488GTB is IMO very underrated by everybody until they've driven it..
    The brakes on my 458 were woeful at best and i now realise what a joke the overly twitchy steering and throttle are after driving my new 488..From a purely driving POV the 488 is very difficult to fault..Even the noise was a pleasant surprise which i wasn't expecting to be honest..

15. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    And the Grigio Ferro is pure icing. :cool:

16. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Really is a must, I get a lot of nice pops at low rpm's that you would never get with valves shut.

MANDALAY likes this.
  17. flifer

flifer Karting

Mar 3, 2016
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Careful guys, don't boast about your 488 too much... Only a matter of time before the 458 trolls come in and poo-poo on your parade!

SoCal to az, MANDALAY, Dr. K and 5 others like this.
  18. Mike Chawla

Mike Chawla Karting

Dec 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mike Chawla
    hello i also have 812, what do you mean by aligned? I am interested to learn as per your suggestions

thank you!

19. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Hahaha, true. But not sure if it's trolls, or just passion.

20. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I think it’s just passion!

21. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Interesting. I also had a 3 pedal 430, a 458 and a 488. They're all a fond memory now.
    I'm thinking the F8 will make new fond memories.

MANDALAY and racerdj like this.
  22. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I mean to have your dealer check the car's alignment and if possible tweak it for a little bit more sporty. These cars often are delivered with the alignment a little out. This can be because the cars are transported several times before it gets to you. This can cause the alignment to slip out. For example, my 812 tracked straight, but it always was a little bit more skittish on highways with any road crown, it would really follow the road, and when going around tighter bends I found the steering response a little inconsistent and also the car didn't rotate through a turn the way I'd like, nor how I remembered when I drove the dealers 812 a year ago. So I asked them to check the alignment. The tech at the dealer also does all their race/ challenge cars. And he's known me for some time, so he knows my driving level and my preferences. I was surprised the alignment was so far out- the car did not drive like how you would expect the alignment to be out. After alignment the skittishness on the highway was essentially gone and now it rotates through corners, steering response is consistent, and is just more engaging to drive and feels more nimble to me. Cost me $700. A very inexpensive investment on a car worth $300k+ in my opinion. I would recommend this for any new Ferrari. I've done this on all my cars but I simply didn't think about it with the 812. And I was driving it around wondering what's wrong with me... Its *almost* like having a new car.

Heres a video I found. The thing abut alignment - it is part science, and part art. You have to understand the car, the driver, the road conditions, etc.

23. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    i bought my 488 gtb 4 months ago and i absolutley love it.i dont even think about a 458 the 488 is my choice ,great sound,acceleration is amazing and the ride is amazing.id love to have a 812 but not to replace 488

MANDALAY and Napoli like this.
  24. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Its good u don’t think about the sound though, that’s the only thing the 488 isn’t as good as the 458.

25. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    i actaully love the sound it makes , very happy with it in race mode

Napoli and jm2 like this.