Restoration - fact or fiction | FerrariChat

Restoration - fact or fiction

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Bob Zambelli, Dec 23, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    The thread of over-restoration reminded me of this story that was told to me many years ago by a gent who once worked at Chinetti International Motors in Greenwich, CT.

He told me that a fellow had a completely original, un-restored, un-raced 250 TR, pontoon fender version. The fellow would either drive or transport the car to CIM once a year to have the fluids changed and just checked out – it had virtually no miles on it – original down to the spark plugs and tires.

Then - and here’s where it gets interesting – he told me the car was sold to a collector who had it totally disassembled and RESTORED. In other words, the only virgin TR on the planet was stripped of all its originality.

So, the question all you historians – Fact or urban legend? Was the guy from CIM telling the truth? Was there really a TR that was never raced?

Since the TR was such a successful racer, I think he was just engaged in some interesting storytelling!

If the story is factual, who owned/owns it?

Bob Z.

2. FerrariStuff.com

FerrariStuff.com Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    www.************.com
    Full Name:
    Jack Habits
    That COULD be 0734TR which SUPPOSEDLY never raced and which was SUPPOSEDLY restored somewhere between 1978 and 1985 by Francois Sicard.

All other 250 TR's have some kind of vintage racing history as far as I know.

3. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
  4. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    ha - your trigger finger is quicker than mine, Jack!

5. FerrariStuff.com

FerrariStuff.com Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    www.************.com
    Full Name:
    Jack Habits
    Hehehehe... only this time Bryan... only this time...

6. Wouter Melissen

Wouter Melissen Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Wouter Melissen
    It sure sounds like 0734, Joel Finn lists it as unraced.

7. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here
    It's true, of course, and was recently displayed by its proud owner at a much-publicized exhibition in Boston.

It's rivalled by another true story. In 1952 Ferrari shipped four 375 Indys to Indianapolis for the 500. One was finally qualified by Ascari, but a wire wheel broke early in the race.

Another of the four had been sold to oilman Howard Keck for the race. After it didn't qualify it went in a crate; Keck also owned the Kurtis 500 "Fuel Injection Special" in which Bill Vukovick won in 1953 and '54. The Ferrari remained in its crate until Keck's death (in the very early 1980s, as I recall).

The crate was opened, and inside was a perfect time machine, an untouched 1952 Ferrari. The paint was cracked and crazed, and the leather was dried and cracked, but it was absolutely untouched.

So...a well known "classic car dealer" made the highest offer, and promptly restored the car. Old paint stripped, car painted "resale red." All metal chromed or polished. Brand new leather. Etc. And off to the auction.

Another one gone.

(And, by the way, Frederick Gibbs, the naval architect who owned 0734 and who designed the SS United States, also owned a pristine Allard J2X when he died. His biography is worth looking up on Google.)

O.G.

One other edit: Francois Sicard had nothing to do with the restoration.

8. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Very glad that Francois had nothing to do with this. He's a friend and I hate to think, assuming there is a God, that he'd have to answer for this some day...

9. Tony Fuisz

Tony Fuisz Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Bethesda, MD
    Full Name:
    Tony Fuisz
    Of course that would mean you would have to answer for Frankenhooker...

10. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Yes, it is 0734 TR. However, the car was restored by Chinetti Motors when Gibbs, the original owner still had it. I have documents for that, dated 26 June 1975, and US$ 14'000 was invested for that restoration. Gibbs died in 1978.
    MUCH worse, however, is that the car (0734 TR) has lost its original engine! 0734 TR was often stored at Chinetti's while owned by Gibbs between 21 March 1958 and 1978. Chinetti apparently once needed a 250 TR engine and took the one of Gibbs' 0734 TR out. The original engine in 0734 TR was internal #LM 17. A few months ago I was at Ralph Lauren's place and inspected all the Ferraris very carefully. Today the 250 TR 0734 TR has a restamped engine (restamped on the boss to match the chassis) with internal #LM 15 (out of 0732 TR). All that happened during the Chinetti days. I can prove all that with excellent and sharp photographs.
    Marcel Massini

11. retired

retired Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2004

The story is as follows:

Fred Gibbs had 0734TR restorded at CIM by Fancois when he worked for CIM. The car was dissasembled , painted and cleaned up.. The car was only used on the road and never raced (probably had about 5000 miles on it. This was probably in the 1978 period. in those days,This was not a SIN!!!. The original paint was lifting and Gibbs wanted it cleaned up. At the same time , Gibbs had the Cad Allard J2 with about 2500 miles on it restored the same way. When Gibbs died, the collection sold consisted of. TR 0734, the Allard. An unraced orignial 275GTB/C sn9073 with 3000 miles ,an 300SL Gullwing with 10,000 miles, a chrysler 300B and a pre war old Buick indy race car replica.

12. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    The "classic car dealer" was Thomas W. Barrett, the date was 1987 and the car was sold in January 1988 at the Barrett-Jackson auction to Anthony W. Wang, price paid was US$ 800'000.
    Marcel Massini

13. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    See post #10!
    Marcel Massini

14. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I suppose if it is your car you can do whatever you want with it but what a damn shame to ruin original time capsule cars with a restoration. Restore them when it is needed not just to make them shinier.

15. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Unfortunately there are people out there who say "If a car is worth a million bucks, it has to look like a million bucks"!
    Marcel Massini

donv likes this.
  16. Kalidengas

Kalidengas Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2003
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Full Name:
    J.Santiago
    For me, they are Ferrari killers!

17. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here
    To clarify my earlier statement concerning Francois Sicard, he did not perform the restoration for the current owner. 0734 and other Ralph Lauren cars were restored by Paul Russell.

Paul Russell has one of the top restoration shops in the country, but like others in this business his restorations are done to the owner's specifications and requirements.

18. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Quite true but as the profit from that one enabled me to buy my MK-IV which I didn't over restore perhaps it will balance out...

19. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Old Guy,

I'm certain Paul Russell is excellent, but Francois does restorations to owners specs as well (based on what I have seen in his shop). I have personal experience with this as well on a very minor scale: Francois was a bit grumpy when I wanted to mount rectangular Marchals on the 330 instead of round ones - stating they were not correct, but since I liked them, he mounted them (I have since found a period photo with a 330 with the rectangular Marchals).

Regards,

Art S.

20. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #20 miurasv, Aug 6, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    Any idea where the original #LM17 engine from 0734TR went? Any developments since 2005?