Need advice from Pista owners | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Need advice from Pista owners

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Pazzo009, Jul 30, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. toy911

toy911 Rookie

Jan 24, 2004
    Australia

You have some stunning cars already

the pista is a great car too but you will be disappointed by the sound and comfort level

can I suggest a 488 spider...performance is nearly identical, comfort level perfect, sound is great with the valves open and the heated seats work

Caeruleus11 and Pazzo009 like this.
  2. dimwitrhino

dimwitrhino Rookie

Jul 24, 2016
    Denver
    I can address a part of your concern/question WRT to sound, I upgraded from a 458 to the 488 and of course the 458 has such an amazing wail. I was worried about the exhaust note of the 488. To compensate I put a Novitec exhaust on it and had the valves wired open. The car sounds tremendous and oddly between 5 and 8k rpm the car wails similarly to the 458. Picture of Ferrari OEM vs. Novitec systems attached. As you can see there is a lot more flow!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

mdrums likes this.
  3. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Wait what??? Performance is nearly identical between a 488 and Pista??? I’ve owned a 488 and now own a Pista and it isn’t even close between the two.

Wikdstrate, Jo Sta7, Coincid and 4 others like this.
  4. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Looks like Gorilla Monsoon removed your old exhaust, LOL! Does it throw codes without cats, and if so, what did you do to prevent it?

5. Pazzo009

Pazzo009 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2014
    Northern Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    Marc C
    Sooooo, update.... I bought one. Thank you all so much for your contributions and insight.

I do want a 812 eventually. I don't know what finances will be down the road, but my hope is to get a 812 and have the Pista too. Right now, not prudent for me. I truly want the GTS, but we'll see what the used market is like in a year or so. I will truly miss my F12. It is a great GT car and perhaps I'll get another one if the 812 isn't doable. My M5 is the most practical vehicle I own. It's the best luxury M5 car thus far and now with AWD, it's more versatile, very luxurious, and very fast. A truly excellent car.

Well said... I had a 991 GT3 and it was a great car. I thought the RS would be better. For me it was not. I'm not knocking it. It just didn't appeal to my tastes. Side note- PDK is still the best DCT in the business.

The RS is all business IMO. The GT3 is sleeker and smoother, and the RS is more rigid, bulkier, and purpose built. I appreciate that in a car, but for my usage, it just wasn't justifiable, hence why it was time to depart.

La Pista!!!!! Ma donna mia!!!! Wow.

I drove it home 1:20 mins, and this evening for 40 miles. My impressions........

The car drives remarkably well for it's intended use. Road noise isn't as bad as I anticipated. The suspension is excellent. Very forgiving, yet capable.

I miss armrests. I miss storage of small items, like regi, my gun, and miscellaneous small items.

Aside from that, the power, the lack of lag, the steering...are astonishing. The amount of stability at high speed is profound. I felt the RS was a bit loose at high speeds, which was the contrary to what I expected due to the aero and DF the car had. It was manageable, but not confidence inspiring IMO. However, the Pista is substantially more planted and confidence inspiring at high speed. I look forward to getting to know her better.

The most ideal scenario to cover all my Ferrari bases would be a F12 or a 812 or with the Pista...Hopefully one day.

6. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
  7. BG23

BG23 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2015
    Australia
    That's not a piloti - those are just stickers

8. RosoF1

RosoF1 Rookie

Dec 14, 2014
    Mine certainly and I suspect the one in Australia ARE Pistas. Those ordering (supposedly only available to Challenge drivers worldwide) were offered either the standard # 51, which matches the # of the car that won the 2017 WEC Championship (thus the "tribute") or could customize to match your own racing number. I felt that for privacy and potential long-term resale, the # 51 was the way to go (not sure who would pay up for my number :).

9. RosoF1

RosoF1 Rookie

Dec 14, 2014
    ps, congratulations to Pazzo009 - that is an attractive build with an elegant interior - I'm sure your wife will appreciate that more than the bare metal floor of a Scud !

Art138 and Pazzo009 like this.
  10. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Jo Sta7 and MANDALAY like this.
  11. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

??

12. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I am not familiar with your gun laws, even though my g/f is from NYC (although I don't have a license to carry in the US and I rarely visit anyway - we live in Europe), but ideally you should always keep your handgun with you. That is both for your own self-protection and to prevent the firearm from being stolen. Anyway, keep a short-barrelled Parabellum, or .22 in your pocket, or holster, for that matter. If you 'll need to reach for the glove compartment it will be too late...

PS: Prefer a M1911 .45'' for home protection, combined with a carbine.

italiafan likes this.
  13. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    #65 REALZEUS, Aug 7, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2020
    He asked about his gun, sir.

14. BG23

BG23 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2015
    Australia
    From the ad - "The car has the original Two-Tone Livery in Grey and Black, beneath the Italian flag colours Decals (Red/White/Green ). The stickers are easily removable at any time, by request."

15. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #67 Shadowfax, Aug 7, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    No he didn't ask about his gun at all. Pazzo009 was saying that he had no glove-box or storage to PUT his gun IN, and I completely understand his situation - and I agree with him completely that it is an inconvenience and a total PITA! And whilst it's not a deal breaker in the grand scheme of things of the car, having no closed storage in the cabin is beyond stupid, and whoever thought that was a good idea should be sacked along with the idiot who designed the drivers side arm rest which serves zero purpose as it's too far forward of the elbow to ever use as a resting point - so it may as well not even be there!! So in that sense if weight was really such an important issue to address they could have removed the armrest altogether, transferring any weight saving toward providing a glove-box.

The other completely moronic idea was replacing the usual handle/armrest for a strap. Obviously Ferrari tried copying Porsche GT cars but didn't pay attention - and instead of using the strap as the door lock pull (as Porsche wisely did) Ferrari employed it as a means to restrain the door from swinging outward when you open it - or as a handle to pull the door closed - a total FAIL!

Added to this stupidity Ferrari then fitted the strap too far forward on the door so the weight of the door overcomes the users ability to control the door from swinging into anything alongside the car - and, which also makes it VERY hard to get out of the car and virtually impossible to not damage the door when opening it alongside anything relatively close (like another car or a wall etc). Who ever was responsible for this idea is a complete utter incompetent nincompoop!!! The brains in Ferrari really need to seriously take a very close at the staff in this department and remove those responsible so no more stuff ups of this nature ever occur again.

Pazzo009 likes this.
  16. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Oh, ok

17. Pazzo009

Pazzo009 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2014
    Northern Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    Marc C
    #69 Pazzo009, Aug 7, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2020
    They are dark grey or Grigio Silverstone. However, I think I may do a blue overlay.

I live north of NYC and have a full carry conceal permit. Unfortunately we are not allowed to carry in NYC...but everywhere else in the state. NY is a highly illogical state which I am planning to leave in the near future because I am sick of the BS. I digress, anyway I have multiple weapons. I always carry because I live in the real world and understand the threats out there. I'm a multi family property owner who is responsible for evicting people who have a delusional sense of entitlement. I never know when someone could maybe pay me a visit.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  18. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    It is OK to mention guns and gun ownership as part of the practical or facetious aspects of a car's storage spaces, as it is perfectly legal to own a gun or carry in transport in many localities, although not all. It is not OK to overlay a pro- or anti-gun bias on to that discussion.

Any further forays into P&R (politics and religion) will result in moderation action.

MANDALAY, Caeruleus11 and Pazzo009 like this.
  19. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Agree Pazzo the whole lack of closed cabin storage is a very bad joke.

The drivers side door trim with the grab strap and displaced armrest is a total debacle and truly beggars belief how this was signed off on as an acceptable solution.

Ferrari should do the right thing by Pista owners by stepping up, acknowledge these unacceptable problems and provide a fix under warranty.

The obvious solution would be to replace the drives side door trim using the same design used on the passenger side.

If a strap is to be used - to add some form of motor sport element - then it should be used as Porsche have done, as a door lock opener only - NOT as a grab handle.

The lower mesh door pockets in both door trims should be lined with Alcantara so any items placed in these small pockets won't slide and rattle around. They way they currently are is unusable.

I would also suggest to Ferrari that a lightweight rectangular storage box with a lockable lid be mounted in the area in between, behind the seats, lined in Alcantara inside and out. This can then substitute for a glove box. Problems solved!

Pazzo009 likes this.
  20. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Novitec springs or lowered on stock springs? Offset on wheels...spacer size? Looks great!

21. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
  22. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    I think the Speciale is a bit different with the carbon door cards compared to Pista, but FWIW just to provide the counterpoint I find it pretty cool no glove box/interior stripped out etc. Makes the VS car feel, well Special :)

Lukeylikey and SECRET like this.
  23. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Looks great. Enjoy!

Pazzo009 likes this.