DIY: Upgrade your stock exhaust manifolds W/ Agency Power headers. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

DIY: Upgrade your stock exhaust manifolds W/ Agency Power headers.

Discussion in '360/430' started by whatheheck, Aug 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    I think the issue is aftermarket headers and aftermarket, valveless exhaust. This is what I have (Tubi exhaust and AP headers) and it is TOO loud. My local tech has commented that the best combo is stock exhaust with aftermarket headers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

2. TAILWAG

TAILWAG Karting

Apr 8, 2007
    OP/Olathe
    Full Name:
    Angel
    I like it louder...always had, always will.
    Mine is going through this process and I opted for a totally custom set of headers and exhaust. It should be up and running this weekend. I am keeping the stock catalytics in order to avoid throwing a code and to help "muffle" a little tiny bit of the sound.

I am mainly doing this upgrade due to the headers and to help increase sound. I hope it works out...

3. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Hey Dan,
    I'll be at ERTC...but I'll be in my M3..the F430 has issues..:)
    ...Looking forward to seeing the your car!

4. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I agree.

If you install after market headers and after market VALVE LESS exhaust I think the exhaust will be very loud.

Also remember that without a valve the exhaust system is bound to have a drone.
    Very annoying sound.

And that's why I opted for the Kline Innovation exhaust. It is valved so its quiet at idle but once the valve opens up it emits an amazing formula 1 race car sound.

Dan

5. StickBreitling

StickBreitling Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2012
    I found that the Kline doesn't drone so much, more of a nice metallic hum.

However before the KLine, I made the mistake of unplugging the valves and driving on the highway with aftermarket headers with stock everything else. Had a terrible headache at the end of the journey - that was a really loud drone.

6. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Headers plus s-line exhaust, there is no substitute!

And if it's too loud for you, your too old.

7. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for sharing great info.

I guess I wont even try to unplug the valves on mine as I dont want a drone headache.

Dan

8. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016

It's really not bad at all, It sounds great. I would try it out as it's a very quick disconnect and connect. If you don't like it just plug them back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Raconteur

Raconteur F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2015
    Portlandia, OR
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Dan!

You drove by us as we were walking to the Museum of Flight entrance...the exhaust note sounded AWESOME!!!

I'll call you next week RE dinner Thursday.

Cheers.
    Frank

10. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Sounds good. Thanks.

Dan

11. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks Frank!

Sorry we were not able to meet up...... Hopefully next time you come visit Seattle.

And I only have Agency Power Headers on mine, plus stock exhaust.
    My Kline Innovation Exhaust order has not arrived yet.
    Its been 3 weeks...... I hope it arrives soon so I can install it ASAP and make the Ferrari engine even sound better.

All the best to you Frank.

Dan

12. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016

Just make sure to plug the lines with a screw or something.

13. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Will do.

Thanks.

Dan

14. ShadowF430

ShadowF430 Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2017
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Mine has the capristo headers and stock exhaust.... But I leave the valves open and it sounds bad ass. The car is a race car, way too quiet stock. Get headers, capristo on/off for the valves and you got the best of both worlds. I personally never close the valves the second I fire the car up, but have closed them next to a cop once or twice which is nice.

15. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016

Agreed I have left mine open all the time as well. It's my fun weekend sports car no reason for it to be quite.

16. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I want to provide an update on this:

1) The titanium wrap I used to wrap my AP headers is working very well. As I mentioned on my other post, stock exhaust manifolds - I get a reading of about 520F after I shut down my engine.

Now with AP headers wrapped with Titanium tape, after I shut down the engine and use my thermal laser reader - I get about 330F. That is almost 200 degrees less. Impressive.

Note that the titanium tape will emit smoke for the first two hours of driving or so burning off some of its protective coating. The smoke disappears and never comes back after the 2 hour break in period.

2) Another benefit I learned about upgrading to aftermarket headers is - I learned that the stock manifolds by original design actually retain heat, perhaps for optimum emissions reasons. Hence my engine bay with stock manifolds takes several hours to cool down and it really heats up my garage.

With AP headers wrapped with Titanium tape, after I shut down my engine, I pop the engine hood open to let the heat escape. I come back an hour or two later and the engine bay has cooled down considerably compared to stock configuration. So my garage does not get as hot any longer compared to when I had original manifolds.

Its been almost a month since I installed my AP headers and so far I am 100% happy. Zero issues, no check engine light and my stock exhaust sounds better. Cant wait to install my Kline Innovation exhaust.

Hope that info helps some of you.

Dan

17. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Question please:

My friend has a Scud and is planning on replacing his exhaust manifolds soon.
    He asked if the replacement procedures is the same.

Q: Does the Scud have the same exhaust manifolds as a regular F430?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

18. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Update on using "Titanium Wrap" to contain the heat on my Agency Power Headers.

After one year I discovered the Titanium Wraps were deteriorating. Crap, that was a waste of time.
    So my recommendation is if anyone is upgrading their exhaust manifolds to an aftermarket headers is to not bother with Titanium Wrap as my experience with the material is not very good. They do a great job containing the heat but they simply dont last very long.

See my post here:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/headers-titanium-wrap-or-header-blankets.595118/

Hope this helps some of you.

Dan

Performify, f1scud, Flea7 and 2 others like this.
  19. vmule

vmule Karting

Jun 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Vito M
    What happens if you don't wrap the headers?

20. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    #45 whatheheck, Aug 7, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    Your engine bay will get so hot it will start melting the wires in the engine bay compartment and start cooking some of the other engine bay parts due to extreme heat. You will smell burnt rubber.

I installed Capristo header blankets on my F430 now sold and it greatly reduced engine bay heat.
    Capristo header blankets are expensive but they provide excellent heat containment of the aftermarket headers.

The OE exhaust manifolds have an outer shield with air space in between that reduces the heat the OE exhaust manifold emits.
    Aftermarket headers is single layer / single tubes, that's why you need to insulate them.

Ceramic coating works but doesnt provide as good heat containment as high quality header blankets like Capristo.
    Note that I have no affiliation to Capristo. Just sharing my experience so that people wont find out the hard way.

21. vmule

vmule Karting

Jun 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Vito M
    @whatheheck thanks for the answer.
    You think wrapping them yourselves could be as good as fabspeed or capristo blankets?
    Thanks

22. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    NOPE.

Been there done that.
    My lessons learned is Do it right the first time and never have to worry about it again.
    Install some really good header blankets like Capristo. Done.
    Start enjoying the car again and not worry about cooking the engine bay parts or risk an engine bay fire.

23. vmule

vmule Karting

Jun 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Vito M
    @whatheheck thanks, I think I will go with the Fabspeed ones.

24. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    #49 RichardCH, Aug 7, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    where are Agency Power headers made pls ? the facts say Jim Technology, Taiwan, just like Fabspeed, just review US importers on the various websites available, more than 2x the price of Topspeed, same asian source ....

25. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal
    China/Taiwan. They tack on a few welds and labels in America but mostly made overseas.

whatheheck likes this.