550 Fan Relay Kit | FerrariChat

550 Fan Relay Kit

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by hwyman, Aug 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    Has anyone installed a Spal FRH kit to run the cooling fans off a relay instead of the fuse panel?

2. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I used 40 amp fused relays mounted in fan shroud triggered by original relay in fuse panel. Ran AWG 16 wires from battery to relays, grounds to chassis.
    Easy, no problems, takes load off fuse panel.

F456M likes this.
  3. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    Thank you Dave. So you use the original fan wiring as a trigger for the relay?

4. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yes, and there are lots of less expensive relays than the Spal FRH kit.
    Google is your friend ;)

F456M likes this.
  5. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I also made my own harness to connect the fans to the battery. Two inline fuse holders, 2 40A relays mounted under the RH headlight, and some weather pack connectors that mate with the fan connectors in the car. Hid the wiring under the removable panel over the RH wheel arch. Used the car wiring to trigger the new relays, so if I want to go back to original, I can unplug my harness and plug the fans back into the car's harness. I bought almost everything from www.theelectricaldepot.com.

hwyman likes this.
  6. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    Did you use the Delphi weather pack plugs?

7. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I did.

hwyman likes this.
  8. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Hi Dave. I will do the same now. Did you feel any difference in the speed/sound of tve fans or see any improvement in cooling? (Lower temp on the gauge)

9. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hi Erik, I can't hear any difference in the fan noise but them I'm 90% deaf and wear hearing aids :) Too many hours sitting six inches in front of a screaming race car engine :eek: but it was fun ;)

I did notice a difference in highway driving, no fans on then so I think the 575 shroud has made a difference.

F456M likes this.
  10. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    575 definately makes a difference. Your hearing is not best, but your spirit of perfection is. And you choise of car of course :)