Harry Metcalfe twitter convo re: Ferrari Dino v6 and Roma and the Maserati MC20 | FerrariChat

Harry Metcalfe twitter convo re: Ferrari Dino v6 and Roma and the Maserati MC20

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by OmbryAmbry, Aug 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. OmbryAmbry

OmbryAmbry Rookie

Nov 20, 2018
    Full Name:
    KG
    #1 OmbryAmbry, Aug 7, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    Basically:

Harry Metcalfe was on Twitter this morning in a conversation that was basically:

• V6 Ferrari "Dino" was cancelled due to it potentially ending their EU emissions exemptions from increased sales volumes.

• That car has become the Maserati MC20

• The Ferrari Roma was originally the Maserati Alfieri.
    Pictures were then posted of the Alfieri prototype and the Roma and there is a very big resemblance.

Wanted to share some info. Speculation normally isn't worth much but Metcalfe is a classy guy and wouldn't idly spread FUD.

2. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Everything is correct.
    In a recent past , California was born as a Maserati

Igor Ound and of2worlds like this.
  3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    california portofio roma - all maseratis

4. OmbryAmbry

OmbryAmbry Rookie

Nov 20, 2018
    Full Name:
    KG
    I find it funny how Maserati made the big to do about "no more Ferrari based engines" and here we are.

5. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #5 paulchua, Sep 8, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    Fiat owned 49% of Maser from 1989-1992, then 100% of it in 1993-1997 then again in 2006-present

Ferrari (itself owned Fiat) - bought 50% of Maserati in 1997 and then two years later bought 100% of Maserati.

So between 1997-2005, Ferrari owned controlling interest in Maserati. That's why dealerships had Ferrari/Maserati under one roof. (remember that?)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    It should come as no surprise, then my favorite Maserati models are the ones that came when the house of Maserati was Enzo's adopted family.
    • 3200 GT/4200 GT (Known as Coupe' here)
    • MC12 (Enzo Variant)
    • QP V
    • GranTurismo/GranCabrio

I still consider these more Ferrari lite, then Maserati plus. I would be proud to own any of these, along with the Cali/Roma. Afterall they all (sans 3200) have the beating heart of a Maranello forged soul. Ferrari to me is foremost the engine after all.

Announced to regrettable fanfare, not excitement - you're confusing it with the push for a recent electrical overhaul. If anything, the most exciting recent news is the Trofeo level coming to the Ghibli and QP.

As for his speculation, you do know there is a V6 Hybrid already making the rounds in Maranello? That Ferrari had decided long ago to go over the 10,000 cap?

@OmbryAmbry you seem to enjoy doing a lot of 'negging' around here.

boxerman likes this.
  6. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Whether badged as a Ferrari Maserati or Alfa what counts is what the car is. If the MC20 is a stylish light Cf tubed car with proper suspension a arms not struts etc.I'm happy. Ie what the 4c should have been.

If ferrari developed it mechanicaly then its probably good, maybe not having the ferrari badge means a car can be more pure/focussed. The Dino wasnt badged a ferrai either. Who cares about the badge. In fact the Ferrari badge carries negative stigma and living up to the badge probably means a car has excess frippery, sometimes less is more.

I see the v8 Ghibli and Quatroporte now claim ferrari v8 power, were those not always ferrai motors/blocks.

paulchua likes this.
  7. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Just saw the MC 20 reveal. CF tub but Oh lardy +3200lbs and Im assuming thats the usual FCA dry weight, why bother with CF.
    They called it a "race car for the road", then went on to say its uncompromized which sounded exciting untill they went on to say uncompromized means it has a comfortable and great interior and good ride for the road so in other words another compromised sportscar/Gt.

arizonaitalian and paulchua like this.
  8. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I fear like all Maserati cars since the 1980's it will start to fall apart in 5 years. Nice looking cars for sure..but they rapidly turn into money sucking crap cans.

9. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I did like the prior gen Quatroporte in auto 2005ish. Really nice design, 430 motor and with At worked well, plus they really handles nicely. But yeah I hear they suck money.
    Biturbo probably the worst car made in the 80's, even worse than a TR8, but the 80s quatroporte is something special from that era, but yeah a crap can.

Still its 2020 and if we can have great reliable alfas, maybe...nah youre probably right a tech laden masser is a going to be torture.

tbakowsky likes this.
  10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I can't speak of 80-90's Maserati, but my QP5 is 8 years old and has given me only minor problems that I've been able to sort out myself. I would say par for the course if you get any vintage Ferrari too.