Gordon Murray's T50 | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Gordon Murray's T50

Discussion in 'British' started by Igor Ound, Jun 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    if it doesn't have more HP than their outgoing model then they won't buy it, that's the modern ferrari buyer

2. faykau

faykau Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2013
    #177 faykau, Aug 7, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    ! don't mind the size that much. It is the styling around the car that bugs me. I don't mind it being like a new version of f1 if they actually improve the overall look of the exterior over the old car. But this thing is more generic and ugly than f1 for sure. The blackened lower front end is pretty awkward. The plasticky-looking tail lights modules are so outdated-looking and chunky. The fan in the rear is just extremely hideous. I also don't like that its rear wheel arches are beefier than the f1, which reminds me of those ugly supercars from the 80s and 90s. the two tone/black roof scheme is also a generic feature that I thought someone like Murray would avoid at all cost. But there are a few good things that I like as well. The overall shape of the front end is compact and streamlined. The interior is definitely a better version of the f1 as well. Manual transmission is of course a plus.

It could be a great drive car like Murray stressed, but like many have felt, the overall design is underwhelming, especially the profile view.

Attached Files:

Igor Ound and 95spiderman like this.
  3. Culprit

Culprit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2011
    Santa Ana, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian
    In the 458/488/F8 forum all people talk about is exhaust note and driving experience.

Boomhauer, Ash Patel and ryalex like this.
  4. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    the fan in profile looks very awkward. regardless, the driving experience will be the absolute pinnacle for all time. nothing will ever compare. this is the best drivers car that has ever or will ever exist. too bad it doesnt look the part.

5. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    I feel like fchat isn’t representative of the younger buyers, also you have to admit the pista/f8/whatever vs 720s performance arguments have been endless, tiresome and in reality meaningless

boxerman, Boomhauer and ryalex like this.
  6. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Ask how many Paganis are made every year ?

I dare say you don't have any love for Gordon but he is a figure and has a history.

The super car industry is changing a LOT. There are just to many cars offering the same my penis is bigger than yours. Some have better styling than others . Gee to many the T-50 could look MEH. But how many current companies have gone down this route , ZERO. How many have a centre position , 2 the original F1 and the crap looking , bad selling Longtail McLaren.

McLaren could have done this again but didn't.

I wounder how many would forgo all the IMO crappy carbon splitters , fins , spoilers and compromised design to achieve aero for a clean looking T-50 with a fan on the back. How many new the F1 had fans , I dare say a very low percentage.

So side by side a PININFARINA electric , Speed Tail McLaren or the T-50 ?

T-50 all the way IMO

elmadi and Boomhauer like this.
  7. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Ohh the engine covers ? Nicked that idea from the Mangusta!

This guy is a legend,especially to F1 fans.

elmadi, MANDALAY and BJK like this.
  8. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I won't discuss that, and it doesn´t really matter, Enzo Ferrari was a smart ass too and still I like his cars.

I also applaud that someone offers different things and agree in that the industry is loosing the plot. But I don´t think that the industry should go the same route than the T.50. It´s not the real sucessor of the McLaren F1. Back then, the F1 was about offering the best stuff available, form follows function and so on, while the T.50 is about pureness, blah, blah.

As I´ve said, it´s nice that someone still sells Morgans and Caterhams, but the world moves on, and I think that the real challenge for the incoming years is making something that goes with the times (auto gearbox, hybrid, etc...) AND is exciting.

Thecadster likes this.
  9. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Love everything about this car, the concept and the fact finally there is a car without superfluous weight which contributes nothing to the driving experience. I think some are going to really sit up and take notice of this car. What I especially like is the experience seems to the central concept and not figures, this car fascinates me more than any recent car launched because its only mission is to provide driving joy. Ideal garage, this and a Monza SP2.

The fact it doesn't have turbo and hybrid assistance should be celebrated.

FF4X4, jpalmito, BJK and 1 other person like this.
  10. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Why, this car proves you don need auto boxes, hybrid systems....do any of those things really make a car better to drive?

The question should be asked what got us to these "times" of ever more complicated heavy cars with ever more unusable power to make up for their weight.

boxerman, MANDALAY, BJK and 1 other person like this.
  11. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    You don´t need 600 hp V12 with carbon fiber-everything at +2 million either. This is not about needing, except maybe the hybrid systems, that are needed to cope with current regulations. Respect the auto gear boxes, some actually like them and they´re better. You may say that you don´t need them, that a manual gearbox is fast enough for you, but then we go back to the issue of why do you need a 600 hp V12.

My point is that getting stuck with old technologies just for the looks or for the fun is a dead end. Of course, I like that still some build "rarities" like this car, there is a time and a place for everything.

12. j34

j34 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2019
    USA
    Full Name:
    J
    Modern analog seems to be the best to me for ownership experience. You get the conveniences of the basic modern tech like Nav/CarPlay, decent sound system, but more importantly the build quality and not needing the car to be in the shop frequently. You can beat on it and not worry much. The problem is only Porsche and Aston have been building these types of cars and Aston is not going to be doing so going forward it seems unless new CEO changes strategy. Perfection for me is a 500-600 HP rear mid engine V12 with a stick shift and hydraulic power steering. Ideally one that looks beautiful without too much venting for aero. Problem is there’s nothing modern that fits the bill, except now the T.50 and it’s $3M. F50 isn’t modern and is still at least $2M for a decent example. I’m doubtful Ferrari or Aston will make my dream spec at a reasonable price.

jpalmito and MANDALAY like this.
  13. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

There will be a car you like in about 2030 a kia electric that will be 0-100 in 2 seconds and cost under $20,000

elmadi and Boomhauer like this.
  14. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    SPOT ON

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  15. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    As long as it's fun, no problem.

16. MarkNC

MarkNC Formula Junior
    Owner

May 22, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Are you saying the T.50 has “old technologies” in it? Did you not read the press kit? Please explain to us exactly what are the “old technologies” in the T.50? It has a brand new engine, a brand new transmission, a brand new fan system with innovative aero, a 48 volt electrical system that runs the fan and electric AC, brand new LED lights, LED displays, and brand new styling. So, other than the brand-new old-style tachometer, what are the “old technologies”?

elmadi, jpalmito and BJK like this.
  17. MarkNC

MarkNC Formula Junior
    Owner

May 22, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I totally agree! I drove my 2000 NB-series Miata today. It was glorious but I can only imagine was how incredible the T.50 would be considering it is lighter than that the Miata but has: 4.6X the horsepower, a central seating position, 5,000 more revs to redline, way more grip, real downforce, way better breaking, way more cargo space, room for 1 more passenger, and even a better audio system!

But if I were blowing $1.7M on a topless car I’d take the McLaren Elva over the Monza. 1,100 pounds lighter, carbon fiber chassis, mid engine, better aero and way better brakes for a little less money. Lightness counts. Ferrari needs to figure out how to get back to lightness and start using carbon fiber for the chassis of their higher end cars and I don’t mean just the limited edition like F50, Enzo and LaFerrari.

Also if you don’t want to spend crazy money on a Monza or Elva the ideal stablemate to the T.50 is manual transmission 430 Spider! To me that’s the last truly analog-feeling mid-engined Ferrari. I’ve got one and I absolutely LOVE IT!

BJK likes this.
  18. MarkNC

MarkNC Formula Junior
    Owner

May 22, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mark
    How about the uptake last time Porsche offered a manual? They quickly sold out all 1,948 Speedsters at around $300K each. All of them had manual transmissions and they’re really fun to drive. With the Porsche rev matching feature you can shift them really quickly without doing any harm to the transmission.

Clearly there’s a market of people who have become jaded by all these super fast, super heavy cars and want to harken back to a simpler time and feel more engaged with the car even if it means lower speeds. Not everything has to be for every buyer. It’s Ok that the T.50 isn’t for you. They’re likely sold out anyway.

The T.50 will have a manual transmission because that’s what the customers were asking for. People have been bugging Gordon for a decade to build a modern version of the F1, but one that is as cutting edge today as the F1 was in the 90s and one that is equally as exclusive. There were only 64 road-going F1s built originally. This time at least he’s making 100.

Also if you read the press kit and listen to some of the interviews you’ll find that the T.50 is going to have one hell of a fast manual transmission built by a Xtrac who are a leading manufacturer of racing transmissions.

If Ferrari offered a 2,300 pound 650HP mid-engined car with a carbon fiber chassis, a manual transmission and more luggage space, I suspect you’d be singing their praises. What a glorious car THAT would be to drive! I LOVE the 6 speed manual transmission in my 430 Spider. It’s way more fun to shift than any double clutch car I own. No, it’s not faster than those. But the T.50 will be! HP to weight ratio puts the T.50 comfortably in front of a LaFerrari, 918 and P1 and with so much less weight it will likely cream those cars on track too.

jpalmito and BJK like this.
  19. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Last time I checked this was a Ferrari forum. I don't really care about what Porsche does. In Europe we have been driving manuals for all of our lives, it's not a novelty. Every 17 year old knows how to drive one, so do the 80 year old grannies. I have been driving manuals for 25 years now... nothing new to see here. It is perhaps a novelty for Americans.

Igor Ound likes this.
  20. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    A Caterham has carbon fiber and LED lights too but it´s deliberately old-fashioned.

A true contemporary car should have an engine with complies with the latest emmisions regulations (probably an hybrid) and auto gearbox (because it´s faster). The T.50 is an optimization (using the latest technologies) of a car that could have been made 20 years ago (NA V12, RWD, stick shift...). There is nothing wrong with that, I also like Caterhams.

Igor Ound likes this.
  21. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    I know you like mclaren but no way would I take tt elva over v12 sp1! This is end of the line for na motors and ferraris is best of all time. Elva is cool but still more of the same.

totally agtree on stick 430 spider. it would be a great platform to make an homage 333sp by removing windshield, rool hoop, rear wing, etc. i would maybe like that over elva too for 1/10th $

Igor Ound likes this.
  22. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Manual tranny's are disappearing (gone), especially in 'supercars'. If Ferrari ever produced another manual, it would certainly qualify as ' something new to see here'. :) (and I'm sure they would be quickly scooped up)

23. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Ferraris sell well enough as is with modern technology...

24. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    You're not buying an appliance, you're buying a FERRARI! They were once KNOWN for their gated manual tranny's. If Enzo were alive, there would be at least 1 model with a gated manual. (with rev match)

greg328 likes this.
  25. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    But Enzo is dead, just like manuals...