First Exotic - Dream Come True! | FerrariChat

First Exotic - Dream Come True!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by JonnySK, Aug 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JonnySK

JonnySK Karting

Jun 28, 2020
    대한민국
    Full Name:
    Jonny
    #1 JonnySK, Aug 7, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    Proud new owner of a 488 GTB here (2017; 11,000 miles). Long post alert: no cars guys to chat to where I live!

It's my first exotic, and I can't believe I'm writing this. Not to get the violins out, but I grew up in a s-hole, and have dreamt of owning a supercar since before my 6 year-old self hurdled a barrier and ran into the Ferrari enclosure at the Motor Show in an attempt to carjack an F40 (I was swiftly removed by security).

Thanks to all the contributors to this forum, which helped me settle on the right car. Some insight into that process below, if anyone's interested. Scroll down for photos if you came for eye candy ; )

THE COMPETITION

458 Italia / Spider
    - I originally planned to buy a 458, as I fell in love with the design when it was launched. It is also the cheapest of the three cars I considered, and (probably) the car that will depreciate the least.

Here's the problem: I was buying in S. Korea. Limited market, only a handful for sale. Very hard to find good examples - a lot of grey imports with unknown histories, accidents, spec not to my taste, and no lift system (it's a must where I live). I watched the market for over 2 years and only saw a couple of viable cars (none on the market when I was buying). I would have waited for one - but both my research and gut feeling after in-the-metal inspections swung it for the 488.

McLaren 675LT Coupé - By all accounts, an incredible car. Considerably cheaper than my 488. One of only 500. I don't generally lust after McLarens as I do Ferraris, but there's something special about this one. Glowing reviews from all of my research.

So why not? Insanely low. Lift system takes forever (and is still lower than a non-lifted 458/488). Dealer wouldn't let me test drive it. Ingress / egress difficult due to massive sills. Racing bucket didn't feel contoured to my curved spine.

Full disclosure: I started up the engine and almost crapped myself. I'd never even ridden as a passenger in an exotic. I started up a F430 years ago, and a 458 five minutes before I got into this - and the 675 was something else. It honestly felt like a step too far for a first exotic, and also too specific a track weapon for my usage (tracking is not a thing in Korea).

McLaren's rep for built quality and electronic issues was a concern, and the only McLaren dealer in the country is over 200 miles away (I can see my local F dealer from my living room window). A bit of research into how McLaren treats its customers, and the direction of the company in general, put me off even more. The last straw was that McLaren Korea refuses to sell additional warranty on any car over five years old. Ferrari offers extended warranty for 15 years - and is possibly not even worth it, given the good record of 458 and 488.

THE 488 GTB

This was initially in third place. I had it down as a less sonorous 458 which will depreciate harder. It was the newest and most expensive of the cars I considered.

But the more research I did, the more it seemed to suit my needs. The reason a lot of experienced supercar drivers don't love the 488 is the reason it's perfect for me - it's not a raw, stripped out scalpel; it's a supercar with GT car characteristics, as the name suggests. It does all the exotic stuff (looks, handling, 0-60), but it's a step up in refinement over the 458. It's a usable, approachable supercar, which won't be too shocking a jump from my short, unremarkable car history. The ideal first exotic.

I went to a dealer, a giant indoor parking lot full of luxury cars (Seoul Auto Gallery)... The 458 is a beautiful car, but as soon as I clapped eyes on the 488, my heart skipped a beat. Side by side, for the first time, the 458 looked a bit dated. I always loved the looks of both; to me, the 458 is better looking from certain angles, and the 488 better from others. Maybe it's because they had one in my preferred color, but looking at the 488 made me desire it like no other car in the entire building (and they had every modern mass production Ferrari / McLaren / Lambo / Aston / Porsche etc.)

It just so happened that a 488 with a clean history, extended warranty, private seller, in my near-ideal spec was up for sale on the other side of town. A ride in it (as a passenger), a bit of negotiation... Trigger pulled!

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

First off, the noise. if you're coming from a 458 or other NA Ferrari, it might sound dull, or neutered. If you're coming from an Audi A7, BMW 330i, and your mum's Honda City, it sounds FREAKING INCREDIBLE! The Capristo variable valve system makes a big difference. I don't know if I should be grateful or upset that I could never afford an exotic in the era they sounded best. On one hand, I missed out on the NA scream to 9k rpm. On the other, you can't miss what you've never had - so I can fully enjoy cars like the 488. Maybe when they switch to V6 hybrid I'll say it sounds like my Dyson and keep the 488 for life (or trade for a Speciale / Pista / 812 / F12).

Of course, the acceleration, handling, and brakes are incredible. I knew that, but now I understand what all of it feels like, after imagining it for 30 years. The one area where it has surpassed my expectations is its versatility, it's split-personality. It can do pretty much anything. Supercar looks and performance, but impressive ride comfort, great visibility, a very large trunk, and a spacious, luxurious interior with lots of leg and headroom (I'm 6'3 and fit fine). It can be a raving lunatic when you want to drive it hard - or it can be a comfortable, relaxing cruiser. Easy to drive around town. Refined and quiet on the highway - or loud and savage, depending on your mood. A total blast on twisty roads. I've maneuvered through incredibly narrow spaces, driven up steep inclines, speed bumps, into and out of underground parking lots - and not one scrape. It is a brilliantly usable car, with none of the compromises.

Nit-picks:
    - Rear parking camera is mounted too low to be useful (don't care as I use mirrors);
    - No creep in 1st or R (getting used to it);
    - Speakers pretty awful;
    - Can't turn off engine stop-start permanently (although some MYs / territories you can); and
    - Large turning circle for narrow Korean roads, have to pull some 3-point U-turns.

This is my only car in Korea (I'm here less than half the year), and I don't plan on getting a second - I want to drive it as much as possible. Got a 1,000 mile road trip later this month. Depreciation be damned!

Some photos...

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    Beautiful car. Drive it often, drive it hard.

3. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Congratulations! Not only will you get to enjoy the amazing Ferrari driving experience, but it’s always like a weight off the shoulders for those of us who have scrapped and fought from the bottom to achieve the dream of ownership. Hope you get many miles of enjoyment!

4. Regular Guy 01

Regular Guy 01 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Full Name:
    Eugene Greer
    Great job on getting to realize a dream of a lifetime.

I too grew up without a silver spoon in my mouth but knew what I wanted and how I wanted to live. My mom cleaned houses for wealthy people and I was able to see how they lived and made it a goal that I would be like them. Growing up poor had its positives too, as long as you never forget what it was like and how easy it is to go back there if you are not careful.

Thanks for sharing your story and your pictures of your car. I hope you enjoy every mile and I hope you share your passion with those around you (especially the youth of today that might be like you and I many years ago). You just might leave a lasting impression.

Best wishes,
    Gene Greer

jnmd and VAF84 like this.
  5. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    #5 racerdj, Aug 8, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    Excellent write up and great find!! I hope your ownership is filled with miles of smiles! Congratulations

6. JohnTz

JohnTz Karting

Jun 21, 2018
    Inverness, IL
    Full Name:
    John Tz
    Well done. Gorgeous car. Congratulations and drive it in good health.

7. Robert P

Robert P Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2014
    London
    Congratulations! Great car - enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

8. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Congratulations, beautiful car. Just one note from a 675 owner, after 2000 miles I’ve only used the lift once, and it was my biggest concern before buying the car based on what I read. My 430 and 550 seem like they actually have more issues in this area. Getting in and out is not as easy as in the Ferrari and if I used it for more than a weekend car it might be a consideration but the car is so special I would still made it work.

9. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Congrats..!

10. JonnySK

JonnySK Karting

Jun 28, 2020
    대한민국
    Full Name:
    Jonny
    Very true. I'll never forget the wave of relief that washed over me when I realized that I had my 'place' in the world, and so long as I continued to work hard and not screw up, I'd never have to worry about bills or a roof over my head. I was 30 at the time. Six years later, I'm driving off in a Ferrari... Still can't quite believe it!

VAF84 and Coincid like this.
  11. JonnySK

JonnySK Karting

Jun 28, 2020
    대한민국
    Full Name:
    Jonny
    Thanks Gene!

Yep, for all the struggles, I wouldn't change a thing. I went to university with a kid from an outrageously wealthy family, and I ended up feeling sorry for him. Nothing was new or special to him. He had no aspirations, nothing to strive towards. I didn't see the inside of a 5 star hotel room until I was well into my 20s and my jaw hit the floor - but to him, it was just an ordinary room. I'm sure he's far wealthier than I am now, but does he feel any sense of achievement? I don't know.

Friends and family could never quite understand my obsession with cars, and why I so desired a Ferrari or Lambo or whatever. To them they were 'just cars'. But to me, they were a representation of something far bigger - the transition from poverty to prosperity. The car was always the end point - the definitive marker that I'd done it. Not that I'm about to start slacking off - not in my DNA, thankfully!

There's a YouTuber (Normal Guy Supercar) who has a 458 and had a F430, and he always keeps a couple of Bburago models of his car in the trunk, which he gives out as gifts to any kids who run up to his car in awe. I love that idea, and I'm going to order a few 488 models and follow his lead. If that had happened to me when I was a kid, I'd remember the day for the rest of my life.

alibo70, Graz, Regular Guy 01 and 4 others like this.
  12. JonnySK

JonnySK Karting

Jun 28, 2020
    대한민국
    Full Name:
    Jonny
    It was a tough call. I walked away from the 675 thinking "I WILL own that car one day". Just starting it up, it gave me a buzz - and kind of addictive terror - that no other car has given me. If the 488 is the perfect first exotic, the 675 might be the perfect second, once the 488 feels 'normal' to me. Getting into the 675 with a short history of pretty dull cars just felt like I was missing a step. The low clearance is a major problem where I live, but if I add the 675 to the 488 (or other car with better clearance), I can plan my route and choose my weapon.

Funnily enough, the lift system is mandatory on the 675 in Korea, else the car wouldn't be road-legal. Things get very steep around here.

13. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Congratulations my friend. Hard work pays off!

14. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Beautiful car - well deserved and great write up. Ending up where you did is not too shabby. Your story is not dissimilar from most folks here.

You’ll find a lot of folks drooling over your car, the reality being they will never be able to afford one.

15. ferrarifam

ferrarifam Karting

Jun 9, 2020
    Utah, USA
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Very good right up. There are many of us that had to get there the hard way. But it just makes us appreciate it more. You're going to love your 488 drive the heck out of it and enjoy every moment.

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  16. Regular Guy 01

Regular Guy 01 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Full Name:
    Eugene Greer

Hi Jonny,

Funny that you would mention buying small cars to give away to little kids......
    Last Winter I spent many hours on eBay finding and purchasing Hot Wheel cars in my model.
    458 Spider in all 4 colors available and they had to be in their packages. I wanted the kids to open the packs themselves and not give them a loose car. (Something about opening a gift is special). I bought 5+ of each color and I was looking forward to giving them away this Summer at shows. Then came COVID19.
    My wife saw them in my home office this week and asked me if I had enough of them. We both had a good laugh. I on average paid about $10 each for them (including shipping) and couldn't be happier. One seller even gave me a couple of cars when she found out what I was doing. Goes to show you that there are good people everywhere. I promised to send her some pictures of the kids with their cars with their parents permission. Now, I am looking forward to giving them out next year.
    Sounds like we have a lot in common.
    I feel lucky to know this fact.
    If you ever make it to my neck of the woods I would be happy to buy you a beer!!

Best wishes,
    Gene Greer

SoCal to az likes this.
  17. Jack-Porsche

Jack-Porsche Karting

Oct 30, 2016
    USA
    Very nice choice. I especially like your plans to drive it often. Great car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Great idea guys. I went on line and bought several last night to do the same.

Regular Guy 01 likes this.
  19. JonnySK

JonnySK Karting

Jun 28, 2020
    대한민국
    Full Name:
    Jonny
    Fantastic, that's what it's all about! The wife and I are doing a week-long road trip later this month, and I'll hold some trunk space back for a few models for sure!

My work sometimes takes me to LA, so it's not entirely inconceivable that we end up in the same vicinity - or at least, along the same coast, at some point. Of course, when tourism is permitted again (whenever that may be), let me you know if you ever find yourself in Korea / SE Asia! I get the feeling a lot of people here have incredible life experiences to share.

20. JonnySK

JonnySK Karting

Jun 28, 2020
    대한민국
    Full Name:
    Jonny
    Oh yeah, never in doubt. Zero interest in garage queens. The previous owner was shocked that I was going to drive it home 200 miles. Oooohhh, it'll depreciate! Seriously GTFO. That drive will stay with me for the rest of my life. As opposed to a memory of hanging around my front door, waiting for a trailer to show up.

He just bought a Pista... Give me a few years, I'll 'rescue' that from him too!

alibo70, cole328 and AD211 like this.
  21. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    congrats!

22. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    congrats enjoy in good health