‘Daimler is dissatisfied with Wolff’s ancillary activities in F1’ | FerrariChat

‘Daimler is dissatisfied with Wolff’s ancillary activities in F1’

Discussion in 'F1' started by Flavio_C, Aug 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    http://futureneteam.biz/daimler-is-dissatisfied-with-wolffs-ancillary-activities-in-f1/

‘Daimler is dissatisfied with Wolff’s ancillary activities in F1’
    Published by Cyber Flows on 08/08/2020

At Daimler, the parent company of Mercedes, the dissatisfaction with Toto Wolff’s ancillary activities within Formula 1 would continue to grow. That is what NU.nl writes Saturday morning based on several sources that are close to Mercedes.

It is said that Ola Källenius believes that Wolff’s influence in Formula 1 is far too great. Daimler’s CEO would like the 48-year-old millionaire to focus solely on Mercedes and its interests. However, this is a utopia, because, in addition to being the team boss of Mercedes, Wolff is also the representative of Valtteri Bottas and George Russell. Moreover, the Austrian top man has shares in Racing Point and Williams, the client teams of Mercedes.

Although Daimler has always expressed confidence in Wolff to the outside world, there is dissatisfaction within the company with the Austrian’s ancillary activities”, writes the aforementioned Dutch medium. This has mainly to do with the departure of former Daimler-CEO Dieter Zetsche and the arrival of Källenius. With Zetsche, Wolff could easily pass through a door, both in business and in private, but with Källenius this is anything but the case.

Wolff’s contract with Mercedes expires after this season. Whether he can sign a new contract with the German world champions is unknown. Wolff seems to have two other options: leave for Racing Point where his good friend Lawrence Stroll runs a team or succeed Chase Carey as CEO of Liberty Media. However, the latter option doesn’t seem to be going to be easy, because if you want to fill such a position, you have to have not been active in Formula 1 for at least three years in order to be objective. For Wolff that seems impossible with his many roles in the royal class of motorsport.

stavura, Bas, ingegnere and 1 other person like this.
  2. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Wolff has been calling the shots in F1 for quite a few years.

As a gamekeeper Todt is weak.
    He was a better poacher.

Bas likes this.
  3. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Nothing is forever, so there is bound to be change at some stage.

Whatever Wolff does will have a big impact on the sport; but I really hope whatever he does he gets Russell a top seat. That kid is doing great things and he is obviously leaning in and working hard with the team (unlike some lazy brat who use to be there!!!)

4. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    This is probably a rehash of the same story from a few months ago

5. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Im amazed at the language Toto used yesterday with respect to the teams protesting the Clone Point Cheat car. Really? He does talk a bit too big at times. He needs to go. He can then focus on his ''ancilliary' important activities. My opinion of him and Mercedes is down a bit this week now.

SimCity3, ypsilon and ingegnere like this.
  6. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    He really talks big and too much. Certainly takes himself very seriously but sometimes sounds stupid, not to mention vulgar.

His thoughts on the Concorde Agreement were laughable as I noted yesterday:

Dodo saying “Mercedes has contributed to the sport over the last years”. Should be “Mercedes has contributed to [destroying the appeal of] the sport over the last years!”

LOL using the popularity of your driver like he’s an asset of the company. I wonder what Bottas (just kidding, I mean HAM) thinks about that.

Also probably not happy to have to turn off the taps (fire hose?) on spending that resulted in frivolous crap like DAS.

Bas likes this.
  7. DF1

I dont care what Toto thinks today. What does Daimler proper think of this. The 'brand' matters more than Toto...........they will fire him before LH LOL

ingegnere likes this.
  8. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    I guess he’s trying to get himself back into the graces of Mercedes by being tough on Concorde negotiations, or at least appearing to be tough.

9. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Toto has his fingers in too many pies and his coziness with Lawrence Stroll doesn't smell right. Kallenius is not a fan of F1. If Wolff's conduct with Tracing Point crossed a line I could see MB folding the team--right we dominated the era, nothing left to prove, adds no value to the company. Perhaps this is in the wind and Toto expects Stroll & Company to scoop up the team's assets and merge them with Tracing Point? Something must be enticing to Vettel, is this what they are whispering in his ear?
    BTW if Szafnauer can afford a new Pista Tracing Point is paying him too much.

Bas, Nembo1777 and ingegnere like this.
  10. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #10 william, Aug 8, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2020

Not sure, but I think Toto Wolff owns a controling interest in the Mercedes-AMG F1 team, like 40%..

Sacking Wolff and Hamilton would be like killing the goose that lay golden eggs. o_O

11. DF1

Im a fan of F1. I would not miss either for very long. I like FA, dont miss him much as was the case for Kimi. Time for a change in F1 no matter. Toto sounds ridiculous this week. He and Stroll Sr should start and axxhole club.

stavura, Bas, SimCity3 and 1 other person like this.
  12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    You don't like them, fair enough.
    There are some people I have no taste for in F1, but I don't wish to get rid of them.

13. DF1

Leaving F1 is their decision. Id get over it rather quickly. I dont live for F1 or any of its members. Lets be quite real about all this. Its a nice activity to watch. F1 would survive without Mercedes. Toto has really crossed a line this week. They are in the lead and he is crying over their image and their treatment lol. Really?

14. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Realistically, the Schumacher years with Brawn, and the Vettel years with Horner were nearly as bad. Any long continuous string of domination is bad for the sport.

15. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Those periods were tough on the other competitors but it was never so bad and hopeless as in this hybrid era.

stavura, tritone, Davpuxitri and 7 others like this.
  16. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Agree
    Most interesting thing seems that the FIA never tried to slow down this trend but always support it.
    Don't know why ..

ingegnere likes this.
  17. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Yes. If I remember well the Schumi wins brought a host of changes that were clearly aimed at stopping the winning even if it wasn’t so predictable as today. Changes to qualifying, refueling and eventually to engine materials and displacement.

SimCity3 and jpalmito like this.
  18. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas

Agree. In those years Schumacher only truly dominated in 2002 and 2004. 2000 was hard fought, 2003 was hard fought. 2001 they had good competition.

Same goes for Vettel and Red Bull... neither team had such a dominance over F1 that Mercedes has for such a long period. And Ferrari and Red Bull where hampered by constant rule changes in order to minimize the advantage...whereas now anyone that gets close to mercedes gets neutered.

Dodo now saying that Mercedes is a victim is beyond comprehension, the sheer arrogance is in very bad taste.

19. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I suspect FIA does not F1 to smell like it has a Balance of Performance handicapping system.....

20. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Looks like more dark toto sidious managed to corrupt the old republic to my eyes.

21. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Toto sounds extra ridiculous this week. Poor guy must be tired of winning. :(

22. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    So far, Toto´s "ancilliaries" did not affect Mercedes´ own team, but the issue with Racing Point is different. Althogh I doubt he could do that without Mercedes approval. Also you don´t make changes in a winning team.

23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    The proposed Concorde Agreement doesn't financially reward Mercedes in regard to the many championships they have won.

At the same time it still keeps an unfair advantage for Ferrari that hasn't won a championship in the last 13 years+.

I think that's what Toto Wolff was refering to, and the term "victim" applies to the unfair proposal.

Any CEO has the duty to defend the interests of his company, Wolff is no different.

24. DF1

The largesse of Daimler puts Toto's words on the back foot. Mercedes is not a victim. Possibly of its own success lol. Mercedes took a rather long break in contributing to F1. Sorry Toto your life is not at all over in any way.

Bas likes this.
  25. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    I'm not sure if Toto needs approval at "chairman" level for that. Doesn't he own 40% of the F1 team??