OEM 308 qv distributor cap and rotor | FerrariChat

OEM 308 qv distributor cap and rotor

Discussion in '308/328' started by GaryvH, Aug 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GaryvH

GaryvH Rookie

Dec 1, 2003
    Pittsburgh
  2. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Should have Magneti Marelli cast into the top on original. Since NLA, you get what you can, and if they work, all is good. Interesting about screw slot. Sounds like a small QA bug.

Also - your wires say LUCAS on them? I thought CAVIS was what Ferrari used.

How we love them so!

3. Island Guy

Island Guy Karting

Feb 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Island Guy
    Reproduction caps
    Lucas wires in OEM red sheathing, not factory by any stretch of the imagination
    2-valve style rotors, not correct for a QV
    And those extenders are ancient...

4. GaryvH

GaryvH Rookie

Dec 1, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Thank you for the info. I will replace the rotors. What do you think about the caps? Should I replace them along with the extenders? Best places to get both?
    This forum is wonderful for us backyard mechanics.

5. jlc308

jlc308 Karting

Jul 11, 2009
    Irvine CA
    OMG Lucas wires from an old Jaguar??? Sorry distributor caps were way overpriced. Try Superformance UK and as for the extenders, time to eliminate them all and go with this method. Be sure to reuse the red sleeves and red boots. This wire setup is similar to the one used on the F40

Attached Files:

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    $600 for a non OEM cap is a bit expensive but ... they do need to make a bit of profit on the parts. $400 would be very fair.

7. GaryvH

GaryvH Rookie

Dec 1, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Thanks for the help. I like the idea of using kingsbourne wires. They seem to meet every criteria. And eliminating the extenders is very clever. I might try to use the old extenders unless you guys think they are past their prime. So my plan: buy the wire, use the old boots (they look ok), use the sleeves (ok too), keep the distributor caps and try to get the little brass screw out, and replace the rotors.
    Thoughts?

8. GaryvH

GaryvH Rookie

Dec 1, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Or send them to Dave Helms and have him sort it out but I like the idea of doing it myself.
    That's one of the reason we buy these cars.

9. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I see all screws with slots. Which one does not have the slot?

10. GaryvH

GaryvH Rookie

Dec 1, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    In the first picture it's the bottom right, in the second picture it's the top right. There is no slot to get a screw driver on it.
    I might order a couple more. I don't think they make the originals any more. Has anyone dealt with superperformance in the UK. They seem very reasonable but I'm concerned about shipping, delivery time, and duty. I know it's in several threads but any suggestion in the US?
    I have dealt with Rutland before but that was a while ago.

11. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    The screws can be tightened so hard deliverd new, so removing them the slots can be damaged.They do this on purpose...not to loose the screw, but more important, you brake it and have to buy an other one !:D

12. jlc308

jlc308 Karting

Jul 11, 2009
    Irvine CA
    I just ordered from Superformance two weeks ago and my parts arrived in one week. I was surprised how fast. ELIMINATE the extenders, they are problematic

13. GaryvH

GaryvH Rookie

Dec 1, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Ok, thank you jlc308. All the parts to do it came from Kingsboure?

14. jlc308

jlc308 Karting

Jul 11, 2009
    Irvine CA
    Yes however some of the part numbers may have changed because I did this about 10 years ago and still going strong. Kongsborne should have everything

15. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I bought caps from Superformance and they have been okay but a few of the wells were not deep enough. The pin still contacted the end of the wire but not enough to hold it securely. You can measure the depth of the wells with a caliper and it's easy to increase with a 3/8 inch drill so that the pins will secure the wires. If you do this yourself you can keep the pins from the old caps as spares

16. GaryvH

GaryvH Rookie

Dec 1, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    kcabpilot, Thank you. Did you get them recently. It seems they might have a problem with quality control. Is there another option for this caps in the us. I would imagine these days most of these come from the same source and superformance has very good prices. I was going to get the caps, rotors, and distributor seals from them.
    jil308, I will call kingboure today to check on the numbers.
    you guys are a wealth of information and I appreciate it.
    Thanks

17. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I got them about two years ago and yes there is a quality control issue with most aftermarket parts. I believe however that original caps are NLA so you have to deal with it. The depth of the lead wells was not such an insurmountable problem. The fit and tolerances between rotor and contacts seem to be okay as they have been working fine. I've got about five thousand miles on them.

18. GaryvH

GaryvH Rookie

Dec 1, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    I just ordered them from Allferrariparts in Cleveland, $207/each and they assured me they are OEM.
    Thank you

19. RodC328gts

RodC328gts Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2021
    Mexico
    Full Name:
    Rod C
    will this work for a 1988 328GTS?

20. jlc308

jlc308 Karting

Jul 11, 2009
    Irvine CA
    Yes

RodC328gts likes this.
  21. RodC328gts

RodC328gts Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2021
    Mexico
    Full Name:
    Rod C
    Thank you.

I couldn’t find the part numbers you mentioned. Will need to check the images.
    As well it seems they only sell Beru ignition wire Bulk - huge

22. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    328 extenders should not cause troubles. They are not resistive. I used 328 extenders on QV with no issues.

23. jlc308

jlc308 Karting

Jul 11, 2009
    Irvine CA
    Part numbers most likely changed, I did this 12 years ago and still running strong and smooth. Maybe call their 800 number and inquire