Downshifting with paddles | FerrariChat

Downshifting with paddles

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Jcoon92, Aug 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jcoon92

Jcoon92 Rookie

Dec 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Joe Coon
    I'm a new ferrari owner, and still with that scared to ruin something lol. I read somewhere if you hold tje downshift paddle while coming into a turn itll drop to tje lowest gear , is that the same if im rolling down the highway at 70? For example if i want take off from a roll, can I hold it? Or if I shift down is there a prevention to stop me from going too far? I tried to Google it and I believe it's saying the transmission won't allow you to over downshift, but id like to confirm before i try it and blow up the motor;/

2. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    I'm not sure about holding them, never tried:

> Immediately release the UP and DOWN paddles or button R after the gearbox display shows that the gear has been engaged; a prolonged manoeuvre would cause the gearbox failure warning light to turn on (see page 152) and triggering of the buzzer.

whatheheck likes this.
  3. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    Here is some more gear tips from the user manual:

DOWN-shifting
    Use the left-hand DOWN paddle without releasing the accelerator pedal.

A DOWN-shift request is not accepted if engagement of the requested gear forces the engine beyond a certain RPM, depending on the gear requested, or if a DOWN-shift is already in progress because of engine underrevving.

In any event, it is advisable to:
    • Shift gears without releasing the accelerator pedal if pressed.
    • If DOWN-shifting is requested to start overtaking which requires quick acceleration, press the accelerator pedal just before using the paddle.
    Wait until gearshifting has been completed before requesting the next shift, avoiding a rapid sequence of multiple requests.

DOWN-shifting due to underrevving
    • The system shifts down “automatically” if the engine goes below a minimum number of revs (1250 RPM).
    • The DOWN-shift request from the paddle is ignored if gearshifting is already in progress due to engine underrevving.
    UP-shifting
    Operate the right-hand UP paddle without releasing the accelerator pedal.
    An UP-shift request is not accepted when engagement of the requested gear forces the engine to underrev or if an UP-shift is already in progress because of engine overrevving.

Gearshifting will be much quicker if the request is made with the accelerator pedal pushed right down and the engine at over 5,500 rpm.
    In any event, it is advisable to:
    • Shift gears without releasing the accelerator pedal if pressed.
    • Wait until gearshifting has been completed before requesting the next shift, avoiding a rapid sequence of multiple requests.

UP-shifting due to overrevving
    The system “automatically” engages a higher gear if the accelerator pedal is pressed and the engine approaches the “runaway speed rate” (overrevving).

whatheheck likes this.
  4. Jcoon92

Jcoon92 Rookie

Dec 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Joe Coon
    Thank you just wanted to confirm! This is all new to me !

5. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    The electronics prevent the engine from over-revving or lugging. If you want to downshift 2 or 3 gears as you slow down for a corner,click the paddle 2 or 3 times.

6. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    It's all in the owners manual.

jag-oo-r likes this.
  7. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    why does it always recommend not releasing the accelerator pedal when downshifting?

i tend to release the accelerator for braking. is it bad to use downshifts for braking?

8. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    No it is not bad, it is built for it. Best thing is to just pull the paddle and hold it while breaking before a turn, rather than trying to flip it fast. Then it will shift down as fast as it can.
    If you're in a situation where you are not breaking but shifting down, e.g passing or just going faster, then you should never release the throttle. Just put your foot in it while you downshift, and keep your foot in it while you upshift.
    But applying brake and throttle at the same time? No. Not even sure what would be the logic in that.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Actually all you have to do is hold it in while breaking. That's the fastest way and this is a specific built in feature.

10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    If you want to do a hard take off, yes, pull and hold the paddle till it is at its lowest gear, you cannot overrev it. Then just put your foot in it and have fun.

11. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    It is best not to release the gas pedal or just hold your gas pedal if all you want to do is downshift to a lower gear.

When you release the gas pedal the computer thinks you want to stop so it will pull back on power & torque.
    Try it.

I downshift often for engine braking and I just hold the gas pedal.
    Once the lower gear is engaged then you can modulate your gas pedal again.

12. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    i tend to release the gas pedal every 5 seconds or so for hearing the pops and crackles. bad habit?

jag-oo-r likes this.
  13. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I dont think it will hurt the engine any.
    Your engine will just consume more gas and you will experience decrease and increase / surge of engine power.

If you want to hear some nice exhaust pops and crackles I suggest you install a valved after market exhaust.

jag-oo-r likes this.
  14. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    I asked Ferrari about getting capristo but they told me it will not be possible to have the cars papers approved by the standards authority (Tüv) in Germany if I do that. I hope they didn't misguide me.

So I need to live with the sport exhaust which comes with cali t HS.