355 - F1 conversion to manual | FerrariChat

355 F1 conversion to manual

Discussion in '348/355' started by RAC911, Aug 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RAC911

RAC911 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2006
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Ralph Cacace
    Has anyone ever done the conversion from F1 to 6 speed manual transmission. It appears to be an extensive process.

2. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Yup it's been done.

Kokose7en likes this.
  3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    There should be a message thread or two on this. Yes, it is quite involved, I hear. Maybe best left to the professionals.

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    There is quite a bit of rewiring involved. e.g.

The F1 TCU controls the starter relay, but that can be jumpered out. The TCU also controls the reverse lights. You will need to install a reverse light microswitch on the new gate. You will need to wire in new gauges (main and centre clusters). I read that you can use the F1 Motronic ECU. I'm not sure if you have to change the arrangement of warning lights in the instrument cluster (?). There is a different throttle position sensor, but you can simply blank off one of the plugs on that. For some unknown reason, someone installed an F1 engine harness at some point on my gated car with no adverse affects. I have since installed a new original type.

I guess the complexity will depend on how hard you want to hide the fact that you've converted the car. Assembling the parts may take many months. FChatter Cavallo95 may have some tips. He seems quite happy with the result:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/144915580/

5. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    is the engine harness really different I figured the body harness would be but the engine harness? what was different

6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #6 Qavion, Aug 9, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    On the "foreign" harness on my car, there was an additional plug for the interface between the ECU and the F1 TCU. Hidden inside the ECU connector is a resistor for impedance matching.

My old (F1) harness also had some dodgy modifications (in an attempt to stop the SD lights illuminating). My car has 3 SDECU's, but this F1 harness only had connectors for two. I vaguely recall there are regions which don't have a third SDECU.

7. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Hmm my F1 car is a euro car Ill have to see what my harness looks like.

Because I've been wondering how much of the harness is specific to F1 car it would seem the dash harness for sure and the body harness but I'd think the engine harness would be the same.

I'll have to look and bounce part numbers off the book for the harnesses because now I'm curious.

As for the SDECU that is correct I don't have a third one on my Euro F1 just two.

Qavion likes this.
  8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Do the two output leads from the throttle position sensor on your car go in roughly the same direction? The single lead on my car goes through the "V" on my car and over the fuel tank as part of the main ECU harness.

Here's a picture of my old harness' (F1) ECU connector showing the hidden resistor (and a few of the dodgy modifications)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Very easy and very un-intrusive swap as long as you can find the parts.
    Send me a pm, I'm happy to help.

Qavion likes this.
  10. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Ken did you just unplug all electronics that the ecu’s talks too, I am curious.