And ... another 208 turbo | Page 9 | FerrariChat

And ... another 208 turbo

Discussion in '308/328' started by 2281GT, Apr 13, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Harry-SZ

Harry-SZ F1 Rookie

The car received a new turbo and clutch and comes with a lot of invoices. Last year 7K.
    So it had a lot of recent maintenance.

The only weird thing is the too expensive belt-only change.

2. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #202 Albert-LP, Nov 15, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
    maybe they did not just the belt and fixed many other things. Who knows, the car looks very good indeed.

In pictures looks great: of course you have to see it in person, but for what I see in pictures it's very good

ciao

3. Lennart Scalino

Nov 24, 2016
    The Netherlands
    I just did!

Just a brief introduction about myself: I'm this friend of Harry's looking for this car mentioned in this thread earlier.

I got in my car last Tuesday and drove 1300km to see this car and drove back the other day. I must say, it was worth the trip!
    I also saw a 208 Turbo in Geleen last Saturday, which was also quite nice, but the 208 Turbo near Treviso is the better deal. It had a complete engine rebuild by Toni and all is documented. It looks also nice IRL and drives well too. I'm considering buying it..

4. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    #204 2281GT, Dec 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The complete fuel-air-consumption-system is rebuilt now.

A new Turbo charger , new Warm up regulator , overhauled Injection (new membrane and gaskets), overhauled waste gate, overhauled air collector with new throttle body ...
    Furthermore another complete service with belts, pulleys and bearings change, water pump service and finally upcoming oil service...

First StartUp after months today !

After that oil service finally, she will be well prepared for hibernation.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Outstanding job, Markus: I'm waiting to hear the driving impressions.

Ciao

6. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    #206 2281GT, Jun 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Update:

She's running fine but not perfect. Maybe the Wastegate was as rotten that the pressure was above 0.6 bar before overhaul, maybe now the spring in the Wastegate is too small and now the wastegate opens under 0.6 bar, but the pressuregauge only shows a maximum of "2 oclock" and before overhaul the wastegate it showed a maximum of "4 oclock" to edge of red sector.

Anything else is running fine.

In February someone "kissed" my small Turbo at the left front edge while parking in my garage. The dent was repaired and now the frontend has got a respray. See pictures attached.

In two weeks there will be the annual meeting of the Ferrari Club Germany at the Eastcoast of Germany. I will take part with the 208 Turbo GTB and can't wait for it.

7. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Due to its stupid position aside the shifter lever, I usually cannot check very well the boost pressure gauge maximum level. But I would say, for what I was able to see that it's more in the two o'clock position than in the four o'clock position. Maybe that's the reason why your turbocharger failed so early: I personally saw the pressure opening test at Tony shop on my wastegate and it opened at 0,6-0,65 bar. They checked your one too and it opened at the correct pressure too. If you tighten the screw and cut the wire of the safety pressure switch (that cuts the ignition at 0,9 bar) you will have a faster car but with a very short expected life. In any case I will try to see the pressure gauge better, next time I will drive one of the early 208 turbo, but I'm almost sure it doesn't go up the 4 o'clock position.

I'm very sad for the front damage someone did to your very nice car.

Ciao

8. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    Thank you, Alberto, for the affirmation. Maybe the jammed spring was the reason, why the charger failed because of too much pressure.

9. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus

FINALY the TubiStyle Exhaust arrived yesterday.
    After checking the wastegate (again) today, the opening pressure shows only 0.38 to 0.45 bar maximum pressure before blowing by. The gauge shows exactly the correct pressure (tested) but the wastegate opens MUCH too early.
    New wastegate ordered today.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Albert-LP likes this.
  10. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I'm very sad for your Wastegate. Hope to see a video of the engine screaming with the Tubi very soon!

Ciao

2281GT likes this.
  11. Benneke

Benneke Karting

Feb 26, 2014
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Benny
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Who can tell me more about this shop? Is or was it a dealership? Alberto knows it maybe?
    It was on the back of my 208 turbo when I bought it.

12. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
  13. Benneke

Benneke Karting

Feb 26, 2014
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Benny
    I saw the "autoluce" sticker on the rear window of the blue vetroresina in the '76 308GTB restauration section. I thought I was maybe an official dealer long time ago.

14. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Autoluce never was an official dealership, but since 1981 is a very well known sport and classic car dealer here in Modena, Ferrari specialized.

I know the owners (one is Mr Ranucci).

I think they sold some new F cars too (just in the early eighties), through a way that I don't know

ciao

15. Benneke

Benneke Karting

Feb 26, 2014
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Benny
    Thanks Alberto

16. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    Here you are ...

Albert-LP likes this.
  17. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
  18. 83911SCDrew

83911SCDrew Karting

Oct 21, 2018
    Bernardsville
    Full Name:
    Andrew K
    The GTB is just so gorgeous, and I love the silver.

To those who have driven them, how does a 208 turbo (Or the later turbo with the 328 body) compare with a 308, 308QV or 328 to drive? Is it a lighter car? More tossible? More frenetic? I have always loved the idea of a turbo.

Albert-LP likes this.
  19. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Please do a Google search typing "Ferrari - the turbo eight cylinders 1982-1989".

Then there are several threads I wrote here about that

Ciao