2005/6 Ford GT vs Murcielago LP-640 E-Gear | FerrariChat

2005/6 Ford GT vs Murcielago LP-640 E-Gear

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by Oz-ATL, Aug 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Oz-ATL

Oz-ATL Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2011
    I know I’m posting this in the American Muscle thread but there isn’t another alternative.

I’m curious to hear from those that have owned both or at least driven both.

If you had to pick one, which would it be and why?

2. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    I was in between the two a decade ago (when the FGT & manual 6.2 Murci were ~$120k) and decided to go Lambo over Ford. Wish I would have done it the other way around, could have made some quick money off the FGT.

Cannot go wrong with either: both are 10/10 style, presence & prestige; good sound; good power (both respond to basic mods well); end of that era of car; etc. The interior of the Lambo is nicer. Murci doesn't need much for maintenance (fluids, filters, ignition coils/spark plugs, etc.) but there are some age related issues both cars will have (misc. hoses, belts, seals, etc.). If you commit to the throttle when starting in 1st/reverse and shifting manually in the egear your clutch will likely last 20-40k miles.

3. Oz-ATL

Oz-ATL Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2011
    Thanks for the response.

Well if you would have picked up a manual LP-640 and kept it to today you would have done pretty well too.

“Cannot go wrong with either” - that’s where I’m at as well.

Which one has the most room on the inside? I can’t seem to find either in Atlanta to check out.

4. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    I ended up with a manual LP640. My saving grace for missing out on the FGT.

They are both tight inside with high center consoles and low roofline.

5. Oz-ATL

Oz-ATL Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2011
    that’s awesome. You still have it? Only ~20 in the US now. Crazy.

white out likes this.
  6. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
  7. Oz-ATL

Oz-ATL Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2011
    Beautiful. Well done sir.

8. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I currently own both a Lamborghini Diablo Roadster (6 years) and bought a 2005 Ford GT early this year. I drove the Murcielago a couple of times during my search for the Diablo, and did not like it. It was too sanitized, Audi drove out everything special. It was their first attempt at an exotic car, and they had alot to learn. Those e-gear transmissions back then were just horrible. The Aventador/Huracan class of cars are much better, but damn they make alot of them.

So as far as Diablo vs FGT, the Diablo oozes charisma everywhere. It is sooo special to drive, and the top off experience (here is an area where the Murcielago failed miserably with the goofy toupee) gives it an experience that not even a Countach or Miura can match. Quick, name a mid-engine 12 cylinder manual transmission top off car from Ferrari for less than $1M dollars.....it doesn't exist.

The FGT is a car none of us thought an American company could produce. It's just bonkers to drive....the isn't a slow moment, you want to drive it hard all the time. While the Diablo can be a calm cruiser when you want it to, the FGT is having none of that.

And the way my car is equipped (pulley, tune, throttle body, exhaust, full Moton suspension, short shifter) 7oo hp, just feels like a race car.

Value wise, the is a HUGE demand for Ford GTs, way more than for any Italian car.... You missed a good buying window 6-8 months ago when clean cars with 15-20k miles were selling at $230k, and there were some higher mileage cars selling for $200k-ish (Doug DeMuro bought his in that range). I paid $182k for mine, got super lucky, the car lived 8 miles from my doorstep. They are now on an upward arc, but still a great investment.

Thecadster and Oz-ATL like this.
  9. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    The Ford GT is easy to work on; the engine/trans are pretty much bullet proof. Many of the FGT parts are Ford generic; that keeps maintenance costs down compared to other exotics. With the inception of the New GT prices have held well for the 05/06.

Davesvt2000 likes this.
  10. Oz-ATL

Oz-ATL Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2011
    Yes, I should have bought A FGT 6 months ago. 100% agree.

One of the few drawbacks on the FGT is the doors. How bad are the vertical door kits?

11. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Door kits are available ,but you you might take a hit at resale.

12. Oz-ATL

Oz-ATL Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2011
    I understand they are a 100% bolt on kit and can easily be converted back to stock. Zero modifications needed I heard.

13. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Watching the videos, it doesn't appear like you save much room....but the new design at least, is reversable. I would consider doing it if there turned out to be a substancial savings in space. I haven't personally had an issue with the doors, but I do think about where I'm going up front.

14. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    The FGT has more interior room by far....loads of leg room, headroom good for those up to 6' 2" at least.

Davesvt2000 and Thecadster like this.
  15. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I can corroborate this. I fit fine in mine, and I am 6’6” 260lbs. I originally planned on spending the $2,000ish for seat lowering kits, but decided it wasn’t necessary. Great car.

Davesvt2000 and Oz-ATL like this.
  16. ghibliman

ghibliman Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2009
    Need to make two small holes that no one will ever see.

I find them functional.

Attached Files:

Davesvt2000 and Oz-ATL like this.
  17. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I'm curious, could you take a measurement from the middle of the outside of the side scoop to the farthest point of the open door? For the standard door, that measurement is 43"

18. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I have driven both. The GT is the much better one to drive. It's absolutely amazing to drive on winding roads. So planted.
    The Lambo sounds better and is more dramatic but the GT is the one id take for a drive.

Shark01 and Thecadster like this.
  19. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Was watching Matt Farah's review of the new FGT at lunch today....and he made several very positive references to the '05-'06 cars....you never see that in new car reviews of other models, referencing a 12 year old previous car.

Another cool thing about the FGTs, is that every major collector I run across either owns one or has a history of ownership.

Having said that, the Diablo Roadster has a specialness in some areas that surpasses the FGT

Thecadster likes this.
  20. Oz-ATL

Oz-ATL Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2011
    Now I need to find a 2006 Tungsten Gray (or maybe blue) for sale at a decent price. :)

Nativetroy likes this.
  21. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I know where there is a blue at a decent price......actually considering the current market, better than decent.

22. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    Thanks John. Yes, a buyer just bailed on me last minute, and the 2005 Blue / White Stripe GT is still available at $275k. 2 option, no Mac no red calilper car. 8,900 miles. Have owned the car since 2007 when it had 900 miles on her. PPI just done, and only a couple of hose / rubber boot repairs needed, which will get done soon. New Bridgestones on the way tomorrow as well.

Contact
    [email protected] for more info.