Unwelcome rust | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Unwelcome rust

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by hnichols, Jul 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    I think Guido has a good suggestion another one would be to dril a hole on each side (in the inside of the trunk) and fil it with epoxy or another liquid. Epoxy fills up area like this nicely. the second hole is to vent out the air during filling. You will need to make sure your weld is (water) tight.

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    R u going to use a MIG welder for this , as a arc set will just blow holes in it. Might be an idea to pull the plug on the engine ecu in case you fry it.

3. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    Yes, a mig set at fairly low amperage. Thanks for the suggestion about the engine ECU; I have already disconnected the (-) battery terminal, but pulling the plug on the engine ECU (where's the plug, BTW?) certainly wouldn't hurt.

4. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    Both really helpful suggestions -- thank you!
    Guido's suggestion assumes that the zinc primer will still retain its anti-corrosion properties after being subjected to intense heat, no?
    The two holes suggestion can work if epoxy primer (which I've ordered but have never used) is fluid enough to spread out to cover the area (a couple of square inches) before the hardener kicks in. I would have thought epoxy would be to viscous, but in primer form might indeed work.

5. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I think its in the forward part of the left hand rear wheel well behind the liner, they are mega money now adays.

6. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Epoxy (primer) has a slow curing time in general, but you can get different fluids that have different curing times and it gets everywhere when it's liquid :) Not sure about the heat, but I guess it is not more that 50 to 60 degrees C in that area knowing there is car paint :). I make epoxy fog lenses for the 3.2 that can withstand 120 degrees C

7. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Zinc primer has the strange quality to spread on metal when heated up. A fine layer will stay on the welds. By aware to use lung protection !

8. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    The project is well under way. I have all the new metal welded into place. Since I'm tack welding everything, and I'm using low voltage in alot of places to avoid blowing holes through the ultra delicate Ferrari steel, I have a bunch of "pinholes" -- visible only when you shine a light from behind -- that need to be filled. This has been a helluva job, with a steep learning curve for me, this being my first experience with mig welding.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Hi guys,
    Officially done with this project. What a bear.

Today was planning to go for a drive, but I found the battery died. I'm hoping putting it on a trickle charge will be all it takes. But it really shouldn't have drained b/c I had disconnected the neg battery cable for the welding (and turned off the battery shut-off switch for good measure). The only thing I can think of is that in the two weeks or so before I disconnected the battery but the car wasn't driven the open bonnets (engine bay and trunk) caused the drain. But there is no light in the engine bay, and I had disconnected the cable to the trunk electrics when I removed the trunk lid.

dmarti02 likes this.
  10. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If i remember right the shut off switch is in the negative line, not the positive so that might be your problem. You should have pulled both battery connections and the ecu plug

11. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    I pulled only the negative line (the one closest to the shut off); as well as the shut-off switch itself. I also disconnected the engine ECU and of course the cat ECU in the trunk. I thought I had the electrical covered -- they say the negative terminal is the one that matters; nothing I read mentioned removing the lead from the positive terminal as well, although in retrospect it wouldn't have hurt. I'd be surprised if I fried/damaged anything -- it simply has all the symptoms of a discharged battery. Lights and accessories worked, but there wasn't any power to crank; then there was nothing.

12. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    Ah, iI think it was the battery shut off switch. You flip it on, but the contact is as firm as it should be. Another project ...

13. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    On the 430 if u open the switch on the negative, it does not disconnect everything. Some items have their own connections.

14. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    ?? dont remember electricity is flowing in air...only if it is very humid. So only negative cut battery...should be good.

15. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    We might make some money if we could get it flowing in air !!

theunissenguido likes this.
  16. dmarti02

dmarti02 Karting

Jun 22, 2014
    Haverford, Pennsylvania
    Full Name:
    Doug
    The metal work came out great! Are you attempting the paint yourself as well or will you send that out?

17. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    Thanks, Doug. I painted it myself b/c none of this is visible, from either the inside or the outside. So I just put three coats of epoxy primer to protect against rust, followed by a coat of metallic silver. Actually, the picture you see is the final product, before I attached the bumper.

BTW, did you find a Mondial yet?

18. ellum

ellum Rookie

Dec 8, 2020
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Elvis
  19. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    There was no stainless used in this project -- just regular steel. Apart from the concern you mention, welding stainless, as I understand, requires a special shielding gas mixture and advanced welding skills.

ellum likes this.