FORMULA 1 EMIRATES 70TH ANNIVERSARY GRAND PRIX--->RACE ▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄ | Page 11 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 EMIRATES 70TH ANNIVERSARY GRAND PRIX--->RACE ▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Aug 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    That why it doesn't matter how much crapiln wins, it's all fake and without meaning..except for some mindless fans. Merc wins cheating and with the FIA compliance, so it really doesn't matter. As i said before, after what was done last year in canada, the championship lost all credibility, and so did every mercedes victory to date. And believe me, and this is all over, a few years from now, many things will surface...they always do. Also it's known that there was a moul inside Ferrari that tipped the FIA, and i wouldn't be surprised if sooner or later some team or the FIA would be in big trouble, because espionage is a very serious buisness, like Ron Dennis found out at his own expense!

Jakuzzi likes this.
  2. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    You are 100% on all counts; but what bothers me the most is that most people will only look at "numbers" and "statistics" and actually believe that LH44 is great driver or even the best F1 driver ever. Granted, he IS extremely talented, but we really know how those "numbers" and "statistics" have come about. :(

3. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    The sporting regulations dont actually say average speed crossing the line unless i am reading it incorrectly.

22.10 A speed limit of 80km/h will be imposed in the pit lane during the whole Event. However, this limit may be amended by the Race Director following a recommendation from the FIA F1 safety delegate.

Any team whose driver exceeds the limit during any practice session will be fined €100 for each km/h above the limit, up to a maximum of €1000.

However, in accordance with Article 18.1 the stewards may inflict an additional penalty if they suspect a driver was speeding in order to gain any sort of advantage.

During the race the stewards may impose either of the penalties under Article 38.3a), b), c) or d) on any driver who exceeds the limit.

LH was trying to gain an advantage, hence the late braking. Whether he exceeded the limit is another question.
    Best
    Tony

4. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    But peoploe that matter, that are knowledgeable about the sport will know.
    MOss is revered as one of the best ever, so is Gilles, and Ronnie, the ones that saw them race know why, and everyone that has seen elton race know he's not in the same level as great ones like Prost, senna, Michael and others. Elton is beaten on a regular basis by Bottas, his performance was very close to Rosberg, when not below, he was beaten by Jenson...does anyone consider these guys to be top notch drivers? Good yes, they all are, but exceptional? No way, not by a long shot!
    Elton will only be good for the fanboys, and those will soon disapeer into oblivion!
    real talent we see in Charles and Mx, but even those 2, still have a lot to show before being compared to the names i quoted before.

5. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Mmmm... I hadn´t read that, I heard that stuff about average speed on TV from someone who supposedly is acknowledgeable.

Maybe someone at FIA should check that.

6. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    As far as I know, the radar gun is pointing at the white line, when you cross it you must be travelling at 79.9999 km/hr or less, if not you are screwed.:)
    I heard the commentator say that and immdeiately thought how can you have a average.
    Tony

Bas likes this.
  7. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Not a fan of LH for numerous reasons but I dont think we can call him a donkey, an ass maybe.

Even though he has had the best car for years, he has outdone Bottas and even Rosberg in the same equipment. Put him in the current Ferrari and i doubt he would do any better than CL.
    Yesterday when under pressure you could sense the tension, old timers like Senna Giles etc just got on with it has they had rudimentary or no radio comms in their day.
    Best
    tony

8. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    There is no average speed when crossing the line, there is "instantaneous" speed crossing the line.

ingegnere, Bas and fil like this.
  9. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Exactly what i said!!

10. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    The same way they measure the speed at the microsectors of the track: they check when you enter and when you leave, and knowing the lenght of the microsector they can know the average speed.

11. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    None of my criticism is about his driving ability. I'm not and never had been one of those guys who goes around saying "So and So sucks... " and all that crap. Lewis is clearly a premier talent... to say otherwise is intellectually dishonest. Your opinion of him outside of F1 or I guess how he presents himself within F1 is certainly fodder for that. I think his sudden social activism... his accusations etc., are certainly within bounds for discussion and perhaps criticism. His driving ability... not so much.

My point has been how things are handled and more to the point... why? There seems to be little interest in researching just how Mercedes is able to be at the top of the heap year after year after year... almost comically so... yet no one seems to question their dominance. Any other team that even approaches par is immediately brought under scrutiny. It's just like the re-instituting the token system for next year which all but assures Merc and Hamilton their respective championships. It's like the pit lane issue... I mean it's not even questioned... there's no follow up... I haven't seen it noted on any of the F1 sites. A couple things like that here and there... not really a big deal, but six years of it... and some of the most notorious decisions being made in their favor time after time have just got get your head scratching somewhat. The silence of the grid is what actually makes me want to consider a larger story. Why the likes of RB, Ferrari, and others seems to inexplicably remain silent on so many of these issues... let alone their uncanny ability to make a mockery of the grid year after year has started making me questions things in a different way. I have my theories.

12. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

I have no theories of darkness on Mercedes performance over recent times. They build a superb PU. They have good aero and chassis. They have employed very good drivers. They have resourced all of this, and included a management and control function focused on winning, not blame. If Ferrari did the same with its very large resources, we would have a closer battle with Mercedes. Ferrari seem to lose alot of talent to Mercedes.

Team are quick to point out what they see wrong and ask for investigations. Red Bull in particular. Politically the teams are able to work within the imperfect FIA system. I have no idea how they do it in terms of specifics. It has lasted and continues to evolve.

subirg and william like this.
  13. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Ferrari have a history of accepting things, i remenber when Senna rammed prost in Suzuka...they never asked for Senna's head...and they should, they were robbed, same with Massa in 2008..they never contested the championship result in view of what hapened at Singapur...and they should have....

DF1, ingegnere and crinoid like this.
  14. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I thought the regulations state a max speed limit of 80km/hr, not the average speed through the pits must be 80km/hr!
    Best
    tony

15. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    No, supposedly they measure an average speed only at the entry lane, to allow some leeway when the drivers brake on the line.

But I only know what I´ve heard on TV, and they may got it wrong.

16. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    From my couch they have - Thats not what the regulation states

22.10 A speed limit of 80km/h will be imposed in the pit lane during the whole Event. However, this limit may be amended by the Race Director following a recommendation from the FIA F1 safety delegate.
    Any team whose driver exceeds the limit during any practice session will be fined €100 for each km/h above the limit, up to a maximum of €1000.
    However, in accordance with Article 18.1 the stewards may inflict an additional penalty if they suspect a driver was speeding in order to gain any sort of advantage.
    During the race the stewards may impose either of the penalties under Article 38.3a), b), c) or d) on any driver who exceeds the limit.

LH could of been fined, but was he trying to gain an advantage

17. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Time to rename this race:

FORMULA 1 EMIRATES 70TH MISERY GRAND PRIX

furoni likes this.
  18. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Of course he was trying to gain an advantage...that is a major part of motor racing. You try to brake harder and later so as to keep the other guy that much farther behind. You try to use every fraction of inch of the track. You try to squeeze every thousandths of a second on each lap. Hamilton locked them up coming into the pit. He was doing his job. The tires were tired. There is no way to measure if it hurt him or helped him. If Leclerc had done the same thing and got a penalty people here would be screaming and yelling that it wasn't fair. Mercedes is eating everybody's lunch because they built the better team and the better car and they have drivers able to squeeze everything possible out of it. Mercedes/Hamilton don't "deserve" their championships...they've "earned them."

Yesterday Max outdrove his car and all the other cars and drivers, to win. The team gave him everything they had, but it was Max who made up the difference. For several years we all criticized Max for taking risky moves to gain any advantage in he could, in a car that could not sustain his effort. But he never made the car an excuse...he drove the wheels off it (and sometimes others). We may have crowned Leclerc too soon. I would like to see more of Max in Leclerc. Push the car until it breaks...do everything possible to get one more notch up the grid. Ferrari has already given up this year and next with comments like it will take two years for them to get back to the front. Complaining about Hamilton and Mercedes isn't going to solve Ferrari's problems.

19. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    By definition of the rules, gaining an advantage......unfairly.

MV drove the car exceptionally well and all credit to him, he had the car that could deliver the pace when the mercs struggled big time due to excessive tyre wear.
    SF problems are deep and there is no switch to turn it around, its been in decline for several years and hopefully its hit the bottom

Bas likes this.
  20. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    The way I read the rules (cut for brevity) is that if you cross barely above the speed limit AND THEN drive for enough time significantly below the limit THEN there is no trying to gain an advantage and no penalty to be imposed.

21. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Exactly. I would expect two sensing loops at a fixed (small) distance apart that pick up the car’s transponder signal. This distance divided by the time between signals gives the (albeit “average”) as-close-to instantaneous speed. I expect there are a series of these double loops along pit lane—including right at the speed limit line—as well at the sector exit and top speed measuring points on track.

22. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    ingegnere likes this.
  23. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Its a vole ..not a mole ...or is there a vole and a mole? Johnny English

24. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Its probably easier to say - 80km/hr max speed in the pits, go over and you get fined. :)
    Best
    Tony

ingegnere likes this.
  25. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Is everyone angry at Merc because Ferrari are a shambles? Seems like we are blaming the wrong team...

william likes this.