RR Ghost vs Bentley Mulsanne | FerrariChat

RR Ghost vs Bentley Mulsanne

Discussion in 'British' started by plastique999, Aug 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Had a Ghost and now miss having a luxury sedan...was thinking maybe a Wraith or another Ghost but came across the Mulsanne.
    Anyone have experience with the Mulsanne comparing it to the Ghost?

Sent from my 16M

2. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Any Mulsanne owners?

Sent from my 16M

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  3. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    No experience on the Mulsanne side, but have you driven one? I actually like the car from the looks, but it has a wiff of old fart about it that the Rollers don't have I feel.

4. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Have not driven a Mulsanne....but my old Ghost felt like a yacht.
    True, don’t want to drive an “old man’s car”... yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I had a Mulsanne when they first relaunched. Excellent car in terms of driving - sportier ride than the Rolls with more torque and feeling of performance. Later had a Ghost LWB that felt like a floaty land yacht in comparison. Most recent Rolls was a Dawn and I liked that car quite a bit aside from getting the kids in/out of the back seat. Still floaty but seeming more pep than the Ghosts. I’ve been looking at the newer Mulsanne speeds as their prices have gotten very appealing for a DD. Kinda sad they’re discontinued now but I guess Bentley thinks the new Spur covers most of the market without a $400k lux cruiser price tag. Definitely go drive one to see but I suspect you’ll like the ride and they sure are good looking cars too.

6. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Speeds are reasonable now and are a better choice anyway, go drive one and i assure you, you'll like it much more then the Ghost.

7. lamborarri

lamborarri Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    Mulsanne feels big and dumb in comparison to Ghost. It drives sportier but it's not better since they both are trying to do the same job. The materials that are used in Mulsanne is at the Phantom level if you care about those things. I really tried to like my Mulsanne more than the plasticky Ghost. in the end, as both driving and chauffeuring experience are much better in the Ghost. But since you had the Ghost, go get the Mulsanne, sometimes we just want a different experience.

8. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    So would the Mulsanne be good to be driven in? We often used a driver for the Ghost.

9. lamborarri

Nov 15, 2015
    It depends on how long. In the ghost, sitting in back gives a rest vibe, typically i don't really wanna talk to anyone in the front. In the Mulsanne, its more active vibe that I would actually engage in chatting with others.

To be driven in the Mulsanne, daily is good, it's more convenient than the ghost in terms of getting in and out of it. I did a couple of long trips with 10+ hours in the Mulsanne. Beside the driver seat, everyone was suffering to find a good resting spot. I ended up driving it myself cuz it's the only way to feel less annoyed. In comparison, I did a 5k miles across country trip in the phantom like a boss.

On the side note about used as chauffeur in the ghost. I find it the ghost's doors design is stupid sometimes. you would often accidentally meet the guy in the front seats when you both try to get out the car lol. It's not a problem in the Phantom cuz its got enough length.

Since you have lots of cars and change them often, I would say go for a Mulsanne this time. If you gonna drive it often, get the Speed. Not that makes much differences but it def feels cooler.

plastique999 likes this.
  10. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Very good detailed info! Thanks!
    Yes it’s a mix between driving and being driven. I’d say for my wife and I, it’s 50/50 (sure beats Uber!).
    Maybe the Mulsanne would be a good change.... another comparison question: I’ve had a CGT and Flying Spur, both of which drove much more sporty than the Ghost. Would the Mulsanne have a similar driving style as a FS?

11. lamborarri

Nov 15, 2015
    If your wife gonna drive the Mulsanne, i bet you any money she's gonna hate it. LOL!!! My girl hates the driving character of the Mulsanne. It feels big and dumb. The car drives pretty manly i don't know why.

I have had all previous generations of CGTs and FSs as well. Mulsanne doesn't drive like any generation of the CGT and FS at all. The sportiness in the Mulsanne feels artificial. I'm trying to name something similar to the Mulsanne in the modern era and my brain found nothing... I guess you just have to experience it yourself. From the power output, torque, craftmanship, etc. nothing is what current heading. That's why I really wanted to like it. That's also why I couldn't like it more.

plastique999 likes this.
  12. johnhoughtaling

johnhoughtaling Formula 3

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    #12 johnhoughtaling, Aug 15, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    Ive had a Mulsanne as a daily driver for the last 5 years. Us it 70/30 drive and being driven.

In terms of quaity of workmanship, The leather, wood, glass switches, metal fixtures there is simply no car, since the Dusenberg that compares as far as craftsmaship. There is very little, almost no plastic in the car, Everything is alluminum, wood, leather or glass. Even the faces of the radio stwiches are glass. The paint quality is as good as any show car you will find. Nothing compares to this.

I know many people who like the RR, but even with the uptick in quality of the new phatom, it simple does not compare in terms of quality of materials

I find the ride quality and performance to be incredibly impressive. Its a massive heavy car and yet the brakes, and speed is very impressive. (these a big difference driving in sport or comfort), The newly designed RR may drive better to most people. Its true the Mulsanne is a very big car, its massive, and it also drives like a very very big car. It can be intimidating to drive. But its made this way on purpose. Its supposed to be huge and feel huge. There are styling cues of the 1920s Bentley 4 1/2 liter cars all over it. Which i adore. Many people dont get the 4 1/2 and could not imagine driving such a big fast tank. (I had a 1926 4 1/2 Bentley Blower blow past me in the mountains and night, 4 wheel drifting (a girl was driving) and Ive never forgotten it. A huge Bentley at speed. Thats its character. Ettorie Bugatti used to tease WO about his trucks. The Mulsanne is that, it is not a car of this age, its a throw back to the golden age.

And for this reason, I can see why people prefer something smaller and sportier or the character of the RR, but Personally, I prefer the handmade car.

Whats best is that they utterly collapse in value after the first 3 years, so you buy a good one for the price of a lower class car.

Really, the Mulsanne is the finsest crafted car made in the last 80 years. Nothing compares in terms of quality, most under appreciated car on the road. Ive owned alot of cars many in the seven figures, and I can tell you these cars are amazing

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

JAM1, Flash G, Boomhauer and 4 others like this.
  13. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    There is nothing of better value then a 2016 Mulsanne Speed with less then 10k miles, MSRP of $400k that you can buy today for less then $150k.

14. Flash G

Flash G Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher

Mulsanne is the last true Bentley.

absent likes this.