Just Bought a 360 ... What's Next ? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Just Bought a 360 ... What's Next ?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Herbert Hamber, Jul 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    Buy Michelin SP4S if you can.
    They should be about $1500 installed.

2. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thank goodness, I though you could. I had my car for a few years before I noticed and thought I recalled that you could. So if you had a way to rotate the engine till you could see the date code you could ascertain something! Might not be easy to do though. I just bought belts from Ricambi for my belt change and they are marked 2019.

18 year old timing belts! That is pretty good. How many miles in that time?

3. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    They had about 32k miles. As far as I can tell, they weren't the original ones since they also updated the tensioners which they installed wrong. The new tensioner has a dowel pin while the original tensioner bracket for earlier cars does not accommodate it, so the tensioner that whole time was not sitting flush. The other tensioner had one of the bolts out so far it was rubbing on the belt and being held in by it.

You could potentially see the date code through the window or at the bottom by the crank, but it would be difficult.

4. Herbert Hamber

Herbert Hamber Karting

Jul 17, 2020
    Irvine Ca
    Full Name:
    Herb
    #79 Herbert Hamber, Aug 1, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    Again, thanks to all who replied ... THANK YOU !!

I finally got the car back from service, they took care of the alarm and installed four brand new Pirelli PZ4 tires [Dec 2019 date code] (a purely emotional choice, Italian tires).

As far as the faulty fuel gauge indicator is concerned that left me stranded with an empty tank, here's the verdict:

The fuel pump was installed incorrectly when it (actually both L & R) was replaced a year ago, 900 miles ago. The technician Paul said the guy that did the work last year (Rev Mot in Augura H) heavy handedly bent the float arm when he installed the new OEM unit. My guy Paul at Ferrari NB replaced the arm & float (like the previous one, new type, cylindrical shape) the other day and everything is good now :) He said he has done hundreds of those.

He also said to carefully watch the pre-catalytic converter / header for any sign of unusual rattling noises.

Following you guy's advice I also got an Autel Maxi AP200 code reader from Amazon, so will be playing with that soon :)

The only unresolved issue so far is the clutch ... The guy that sold me the 360 at CNC Upland three weeks ago claimed it was 50%, the Ferrari NB technician Paul says it's 100% worn, give or take a few.

I believe the AP200 code reader provides that info?

My question then would be : How do you tell your (F1) clutch is failing when you are driving it ? On a regular manual transmission you can feel it very clearly... Ferrari NB claims you tell it's slipping when it goes into neutral by itself. Any other signs ? What do I watch for ??

5. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    It will randomly jump to N. NOTE: it will do that if you sit in gear with your foot off the break but that is by design. You can feel it slip, particularly at high RPM when you are coming onto the power curve. Engagements will start to slip too much. Basically it is the same as a manual so it has the same symptoms and feels the same when it fails.

6. dbdreams

dbdreams Karting

Nov 6, 2003
    Hayden, Alabama, USA
    Full Name:
    David W. Burnett, Jr.
    For the leather on the dash I would recommend having the entire windshield tinted, actually I recommend tint for the whole car. It won't fix the leather per se but It will slow the process of sun and heat in general. I am a window tinter by trade and I know some folks won't like anything dark on the windows but check into an almost clear high performing Ceramic tint that will block 99% of the UV and provide an amazing amount of IR (infrared) protection which is what you feel on your skin. This film can be had in an extremely clear film with VLTs of 70% to 80% which can provide lots of protection without changing the appearance of the car.

vds5000, kes7u and Need4Spd like this.
  7. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I just had this done to my 2015 Nissan Rogue’s windshield. I had the “double ceramic” done. Going thru the desert at 115* outside, the dashboard was only warm to the touch.
    I’m having the same thing done to my 430 once the dash is fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

dbdreams likes this.
  8. robertpel9

robertpel9 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    You are local to me. Take your car to RMT motorsports in yorba lina. Randy will shoot you straight and also tell you what is must do and what is nice to do

Those prices are outrageous and a lot of what they told you is total BS

Herbert Hamber likes this.
  9. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    My windshield installer asked if I wanted mine straightened and glued. I said hell yes! No guarantee but they have been good for 2 years now. You are talking about the defrost vents yes? easy to do with the windshield out. Cheers!

10. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    re dash leather: The owners manual says we are to treat the leather every 3-4 months.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Needless to say that this is a big ask, especially after multiple owners , etc. I try to do mine a few times a year and I am sup OCD about my car and my car is in a temperature and humidity controlled garage! You may have luck just getting back to treating the leather every 90 days for a while like all owners are supposed to do! The RMT place is highly recommended as it was where Paul Walker used to take his 360 and he was a serious car guy!

11. Herbert Hamber

Herbert Hamber Karting

Jul 17, 2020
    Irvine Ca
    Full Name:
    Herb
    Can you guys recommend a good quality leather cleaner / conditioner that I can find at say Walmart or Ace Hardware ? Or perhaps O'Reilly or Autozone in case ?

I do have black seats with white stiching, not sure what to do about cleaning those? Some mild penetrating foaming agent for the white stiching ?

12. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    I've had some pretty good luck with Lexol shampoo and conditioners. Both are available at Walmart and auto parts stores

13. Herbert Hamber

Herbert Hamber Karting

Jul 17, 2020
    Irvine Ca
    Full Name:
    Herb
  14. tmvatlanta

tmvatlanta Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2017
    Covington GA
    Full Name:
    Tam V.
    I didn’t have that heat shield on my old 360 Spider, neither the new F430 Spider

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

15. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    …. and new Wheels/Rims please. :)

16. PFSEX

PFSEX Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    John Ratto
    They all insist that their tires are stored in climate controlled warehouse and are 'as new' when first mounted irregardless of date.(age)

17. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Yeah, rubber doesn't work that way......

Apollo 11 and Performify like this.
  18. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Well, kind of. Heat and humidity are clearly an issue but they would need to reduce the O3 in there as well. That is what drives the degradation. At least as I understand it.

https://www.michelinman.com/howLongTireLast.html

19. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    The most important thing is that you be regular about your application of "what-ever-product-you-use". My favorite stuff is the Zaino Z-10 (leather in a bottle for a conditioner) once your seats are clean. I have no recommendation for a good cleaner but I have been using Bickmore leather conditioner Bick #4 for a couple years because it's easy to ship to me via the regular internet sites. Maybe their cleaner is good too? IDK

20. Herbert Hamber

Herbert Hamber Karting

Jul 17, 2020
    Irvine Ca
    Full Name:
    Herb
    This product was recommended above, and it has worked very well for me ! I got it on Amazon.

The leather on mine was pretty clean, but occasionally a bit dry ...

21. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Bick seems to clean well but does not smell like much. Lexol has a better smell but Zaino and Gliptone make cleaners and conditioners and seem to smell more like the old Connally leather.

22. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    The Zaino Z-10 is awesome. Sadly it cannot be shipped to me directly which is how I like to purchase car supplies. I am not sure why it must have something flammable in it.

23. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    I have no trouble getting Zaino shipped to Louisiana. Want to trade locations? Nah, figured not.