Swapping 458 for 675LT or Speciale? | FerrariChat

Swapping 458 for 675LT or Speciale?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Jo Sta7, Aug 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I've only had my current 458 for a few months, but I notice that the way I live with a Ferrari in western PA is different than I did when I was in Scottsdale. I drove the 458 almost daily. In PA, I reserve it for special driving occasions. This has led me to the conclusion that I should trade up for a car that is even more of a driving event. I think the 675LT and 458 Speciale are the two I'm focused on and I've inquired about a couple. I'm curious to hear from those who've owned both or driven both. Here's my current thoughts:

1. Performance: I know the 675LT will be quicker. I like the linear power delivery of an NA, though. I'm expecting the Speciale the feel like a slightly more rapid 458, which would suit me. Therefore, outright performance I'm indifferent between the two.
    2. Sound: No question here
    3. Looks: I think both are stunning, the 675LT is better looking to me, though.
    4. Reliability: My Ferrari's have been exceptionally reliable, Mclaren's have a bad reputation. Point likely to Ferrari.
    5. Initial Cost: Point 675LT. It's $130k cheaper.
    6. Long term value: I actually think both cars have a very good possibility of maintaining value and possibly appreciating. I'll call this a wash.
    7. Feeling: What feels more special???

Curious to read others opinions.....

DOWORKFCAR and Gh21631 like this.
  2. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    I currently own a 675LT (coupe) and Speciale. Very different driving experiences as one would expect but I wouldn't say one feels more special than the other. You already own a 458 and your expectations from the Speciale are probably close to reality.

As for the 675, I've never met a fellow owner or read a review that didn't give it high praise. McLaren threw everything they had at the LT to remake its image when the 12C/650S were seen as being overly clinical and lacking emotion. Unlike the Speciale which had relatively moderate changes vs the 458, the LT had significant upgrades vs the 650S from engine internals, suspension components and bodywork. Everything rearward of the B-pillar is new (wider) and made from CF. The paint is applied so thinly that you can actually see the weave. Pretty cool in my opinion. Driving position is also very aggressive due to the increased rake and cab forward design. It feels like a go-kart. Steering ratio is very quick. Lots of turbo lag but it's a thrill when it kicks and it delivers serious top end punch.

Reliaiblity-wise, I've had no problems with either.

3. FordGTDriver

FordGTDriver Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2007
    Owned both of them. You can't go wrong either way. 675LT feels very compact and snug around the driver, while the Speciale feels like a larger car, heavier car. The LT is incredibly fast and super nimble. The Speciale is, however, such a extraordinary and unique NA experience that it's hard to fault anything about it. I personally think the Speciale is more attractive aesthetically. The LT is so rewarding to drive, especially at that track, that I just couldn't get enough of it.

Talk about a tough decision!

Caeruleus11, Alcav5, m5shiv and 3 others like this.
  4. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Interesting point. I'm 6'3" about 205 with broad shoulders. I may not fit very well in the 675LT. Ferrari's are quite roomy.

5. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    I'm of similar build and fit fine. Just be sure the car has touring (large) seats.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  6. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I wouldn’t trade “up” from 458 to Speciale unless you are in love with the looks.
    675 is very quick and good prices now. I was not a fan of how clinical the 6 and 7 series feel vs Ferrari and Lambo.
    If you want a real occasion and drivers/track car try a Huracan Performante Coupe with race seats (given your size I would not get the spyder).
    If you dont really care about noise, then a 720s or Pista, both exceptional event cars.

7. LivingthedreamBAB

Jan 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    BRIAN BUTT
    With my last super car purchase I was torn between the 458 Italia and the 675LT. The 488 GTB was on the list but dropped it quickly after I drove I for a day of spirited driving (not going to get into 458 vs 488 as there are a plethora of other discussions on here about that). I ultimately ended up choosing the 458 but it was a VERY tough choice. I am getting to the point where I can probably afford to own two super cars and the next will very likely be the 675LT. The 675LT just felt purely raw which I loved but did not love the looks as much as 458 inside and out. I think Ferrari/Pininfarina just got it right w the 458. As others have said these are two different beasts. If you are going to track the car the 675LT will be quicker but if just going to drive in the road you won’t notice much difference. Either way you can’t go wrong! Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  8. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Care to elaborate beyond just your preference for the 458 sound? Driving dynamics would be improved I'd imagine.

9. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I don't mind the idea of buying a 675LT in addition to the 458. I just worry they'd feel redundant. I have the garage space in my new house, though. So perhaps.

10. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Sound is better in 458 vs Speciale as has been noted. Not an immense amount, but noticeable for sure. Beyond that, looks/price value is just subjective. Can’t go wrong with either car. I found the speciale to be too loose on the street for really spirited driving. Tire tech has progressed a lot, so that could really help. I think they look great.

Ash Patel likes this.
  11. LivingthedreamBAB

Jan 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    BRIAN BUTT
    458 just feel a lot better built and solid but like said before the 675LT feels more raw which is not a bad thing.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    As a eastern PA owner of a 675LT spider I can say that it is an absolutely sensational car. I’m not a fan of modern sports cars but the purity of design of this car is amazing. I would also say that because of the unique proactive suspension it rides as well as my M6 gran coupe. It’s also very visceral but not in a over the top Scuderia way. I also think it’s the most beautiful modern sports car.

of2worlds and ScrappyB like this.
  13. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Jon, go drive the LT and see if it checks the boxes. For the price difference that's the choice for me hands down. Maybe pick up a manual GT3 down the road with the savings.

white out and Jo Sta7 like this.
  14. JonnySK

JonnySK Karting

Jun 28, 2020
    대한민국
    Full Name:
    Jonny
    Have you sat in the 675LT yet?

I had the same decision to make recently - was considering all three of those cars (I did an intro post which went into detail). I'm 6'3', long-limbed, 170lbs with quite pronounced curvature of the spine (anterior pelvic tilt), and the racing bucket didn't feel right for me. Legroom was fine, though the cabin definitely felt tight. It was thrilling just to start the thing up. Far more raw than a 458 / 488, so it all depends on what you're looking for in the car.

I needed something a bit more versatile and less track-focused, so I ended up with a 488 GTB and am loving it.

15. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I could always keep the 458 and pick up a 675LT. I have the space and the 675 is quite fairly priced considering performance on hand. The specials would be a swap. I’m currently trying to swap my RR ghost for a dawn as well. 458/675LT/Dawn would be an interesting trio.

Andynyc, Gh21631 and Boomhauer like this.
  16. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    guys i know who literally have all the hypercars say the 675lt is extraordinary - if they say that, who am i to disagree!

17. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Interested in why your swapping the Ghost for a Dawn? I’m thinking of either or a Wraith or Mulsanne... decisions decisions

Sent from my 16M

18. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I don’t need the full size of the ghost right now, and I think the dawn is the ultimate convertible. I drove one and loveddd it. It feels completely obnoxious in the best sort of way.

Andynyc likes this.
  19. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Jo Sta7 likes this.
  20. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I am interested in why you haven't mentioned the 675LT spider? If its only occasional driving then why not make it even more of an event and the 675LT spider loses none of the driving dynamics due to carbon tub.

21. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    2x the cost

22. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I don’t like the looks as much. I do prefer the looks of the 720S spider though vs the coupe.

[gTr] likes this.
  23. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    $220k vs $440k.

24. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Never had interest in McLaren until I drove a 675LT. Amazing car, and makes the Pista at list price look poor value for money.

Jo Sta7 and stan996turbo like this.
  25. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    2 quotes from different members on McLaren Life answering a similar question:
    The 675 LT is AWESOME! Love mine, one of my favorite cars. This coming from someone who has owned:
    2020 pista
    2020 c8
    2019 720s
    2019 gt2 rs
    2019 gt3 rs
    2019 zr1
    2018 aventador s
    2018 performante
    2017 viper acr-e
    Yeah its that good!

So, I asked myself the following question: “Of all the cool cars you’ve owned, which would you choose, in order of preference, if you were allowed only one for the rest of your life?” Here it is, and by the way, I gave this a ton of deliberation.

1. Mclaren 675LT
    2. Mclaren 650S (Mojave Magnum 201.5 mph, Class winner)
    3. Ford GT (Mojave Magnum 210.1 mph)
    4. Acura NSX Zanardi
    5. Porsche Carrera GT
    6. Ferrari 458 Speciale
    7. Mclaren MP4-12C
    8. Porsche GT3RS (997)
    9. AMG SLS Black Series
    10. Kirkham 427 Cobra

of2worlds likes this.