Shmee gets to drive the Roma | FerrariChat

Shmee gets to drive the Roma

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by ferrariwithsnowtires, Aug 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    Always a bit much for me but give him credit for effectively making a career out of driving cool cars. Not much of a driving video but then Shmee is not the guy I’d want driving impressions from anyway.

The car is simply stunning to me. I know many disagree. Even without badges, which I prefer on this car, I don’t get the Aston vibe everyone else seems to have. Not that there is anything wrong with that! She’s simply gorgeous. The lines, the way they flow ... wow. Even the grill is growing on me though I’d prefer a gloss or even matte black.

Very classy package and I love the interior as well though the display screen could have been better integrated or perhaps just a bit thinner (okay, maybe more than a bit). Otherwise very classy. I’m thinking Blu Roma over terra bruschetta (no way that’s spelled right too lazy to look it up but who doesn’t love a good bruschetta) or maybe iroko.

It even sounds good!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

greg328 and RamsHmb like this.
  2. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Again the whole "ethos" about sedate, less scary, and all the rest of it. How sad. It's a nice car to look at - very easy and "safe".

Boring, generic and tame made for the masses.

I will never consider it a Ferrari for the sime reason that Ferrari themselves, admit to creating a car that deliberately does not feel like a Ferrari.
    And the sound. Ugh!

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Bas likes this.
  3. CT Audi Fan

Oct 23, 2011
    Have you heard it in person? Sound in video is never very good, but considering the intent of the car it seems better than just okay to me.

4. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Its nice, I like updates pretty cool. I take these journalists with a grain of salt, he has done some videos that have been a bit lacking at times but I commend him on his enterprising/vblogging work. I think the Roma will do just fine, it will have a niche and I don't expect Ferrari to flood the market with them. There will be plenty of V8 derivatives out there to fill up that engine line! Sound will continue to be an issue moving forward so we need to live with it and address it in our mods as needed.

LARRYH likes this.
  5. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    Shmee delivers like a 16 year old who’s just had sex for the first time, then drank his first double espresso and now insists on reading you an instruction manual from cover to cover. Seems to be doing very well out of it though, so well done him.

Absolutely loving the Roma. And, no, it doesn’t look like an Aston.

RamsHmb likes this.
  6. ferrariwithsnowtires

ferrariwithsnowtires Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2005
    Shmee throws a lot of softballs but he often has early access to vehicles.

I give the guy a lot of credit. he figured out early on how to get a lot of views and has built a mini empire for himself doing it.

I sometimes wonder why he doesn't have a real connection to the Lambo brand.

Back to the car, the last time I looked, the masses aren't buying toys at the car dealer for $250K. As has been discussed, Ferrari has shareholders to generate net income per share for, and a non-scary car can build volume, and get folks into the brand (who can buy scary models later).

I miss Ferrari having something that just looks graceful like the 612 did, and now after a long break, we have such a car.

Remember more revenue allows more investment to support stuff like the successor to the F8, and that will be very scary (the SF90 being hyper scary).

greg328, randkin and technom3 like this.
  7. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    I think its an absolutely stunning looking car and full credit to Ferrari to have the bravado to undertake a completely different design language..Porsche need to take note as their endless subtle design tweaks between 911 generations..The new Taycan is a breath of fresh air form Porsche and why i have one coming in October..
    I see a Roma in my garage at some point in the future when i get too old and/or stiff to climb in/out of the Carbon race seats..

8. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Yes I have heard it in person at my dealers.

9. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Now that car is ruined forever.....

Bas likes this.
  10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You need to explain that kne.

11. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    At 17m52s or so, automatic brake is mentioned, did not realize the Roma had it, I think it is the first model to have it, found confirmation here:
    https://www.gims.swiss/news/ferrari-la-dolce-vita-rome

and here

https://corporate.ferrari.com/en/ferrari-roma-la-nuova-dolce-vita-takes-shape
    Ferrari has also introduced its optional ADAS (SAE Level 1) systems: Adaptive Cruise Control – which can be commanded directly from the steering wheel for faster, safer interaction – Autonomous Emergency Braking, Lane Departure warning with Traffic Sign Recognition, Blind Spot Detection with Rear Cross Traffic Alert, and Surround View Camera.

and, having to push the "pad" every time you want to use a steering wheel control is going to get old really fast, I think that proves these types of haptic controls are not useful in a road car, maybe on an xbox controller, and putting a/c controls on the touchscreen is less useful than standard controls, makes me wonder if Ferrari ever considered exactly how that improves the "human machine" interface

12. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    Umm.... not trying g to be a jerk but who is buying the shmee 150 sunglasses?! Car is stunning and I am personally looking forward to driving one.

13. ferrariwithsnowtires

ferrariwithsnowtires Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2005
    I thought those CF sunglasses were an odd addition to his merch.
    I remember when he did socks an thought that was goofy.
    I do give him credit for how much he works.
    He has gotten much better at specs as well, his Ford GT with a livery based on a British Ford racing team was excellent, I was not a fan of his blue and orange Aston Martin and Kermit green 911 with red calipers.
    The guy who really surprises me in terms of viewer count is Mo Vlogs, he will have 10 million subscribers at some point. I find his content light at best, his secret sauce may be featuring his sister on the videos.

14. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Touchscreens on the steering wheel is not a great idea I think. I hope I won't find it too annoying.

15. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    touch controls for mirror which looks like a pain in the ass to use, touch start button which didnt work and he had to click multiple times. so ridiculous.

16. CT Audi Fan

Oct 23, 2011
    He explained in the video that the need to first touch the pad button in order for the other buttons to light up was a safety feature and could be disabled. Makes sense I guess.

Every review that I’ve read mentioned that the software interface was still beta and would be refined prior to release.

17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    One or two touches, beta or final version, there is some basic issues with touch screens in cars, and now that they have moved the touch to the controls you have to use while driving, they have created a problem.

Buttons you can learn and thus use without looking. Having the ESC modes as touch as well as the infotainment stuff as touch is going to be a proper pain.

They did this to the SF90 too and while I'm very excited about getting behind the wheel of that, I kind of dread having to deal with these things.

I just hope it won't be too much of an issue. It would be a disappointment of massive proportions if every time I got into an otherwise epic car, I'd be frustrated with the controls.

I could accept in this car probably, but the SF90 just has to work on the level that sits on.

18. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    Never mind touch screens on the wheel, give me back a real, physical dial for the Rev Counter!

19. Mba

Mba Rookie

May 6, 2019
    The Automatic Emergency brake can be fully escluded with memory in the setting (as per Portofino GTC4 and 812 Superfast equipped with this function) so that everytime you turn on and off the car it will stay in the status you want (you will just have a warning light in the cockpit). That's a Ferrari big difference in the market (not following the others)... infact is only EuroNCAP that requires for those who apply for testing their models that the Automatic brake function must be always on after every key off...

tfazio and JTSE30 like this.
  20. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Have a 612 OTO and am thinking about about going to the Roma, enjoy the looks and am getting used to the grill. The Roma is not a track car so grace and elegance are what I appreciate.But all the tech gadgetry is kind of a put off for me with buttons/switches/dials you don’t really need to divert your attention from the road. I guess I will have to drive one to get a better feeling for the car. But giving up the 612 will be very hard to do and the wife won’t just let me add another car.

21. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Do you use the rear seats in your 612? If so, forget the Roma.

Why not get a low mileage Lusso? Proper v12 Ferrari with a good blend of tech and analogue user interface?
    Looks and sounds great, has room, and will feel like a Ferrari like your 612 does.

JTSE30 likes this.
  22. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Well actually we don't use the rear seats much, mainly storage for trips or occasional person. But if transporting folks is the mission then we would likely just take our Pano which has lots of back seat room.

I guess I am just not such a big fan of the “shooting brake” body style. I have thought about an FF or Lusso on occasions but just can’t wrap my head around the look. Where as I do like the look of the Roma but I doubt the interior finish will match the 612 OTO I have currently. Certainly in no rush in any event.

23. CT Audi Fan

Oct 23, 2011
    I remember when the iPhone first came out ... a phone with no buttons! How could that possibly work???

You’ll get used to it. But I do agree that there are some buttons, like volume and hvac, that should just be buttons.

And I agree with Lesia44 ... a physical rev counter with screens on each side will always be better!

24. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    AD211 and JTSE30 like this.