F355 Market | Page 153 | FerrariChat

F355 Market

Discussion in '348/355' started by Robb, May 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    :eek:

carnutdallas likes this.
  2. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    It was a lot of money even if the car hadn't been hit in the rear. All in, with buyer premium was just under $100k.

The car also had some basic needs, as others have pointed out. But hey, it's a new comp. I'll take it.

3. bcar1

bcar1 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 2, 2017
    NYC/NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Agreed- Interesting that the last Berlinetta prior to this listing on BaT was a year ago, only spiders since then. Also a quick glance at eBay + autotrader + CarGurus shows only 2 manual non spiders available- Both have been discussed on here before

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?zip=07090&transmission=M&showNegotiable=true&sortDir=ASC&sourceContext=carGurusHomePageModel&distance=50000&sortType=DEAL_SCORE&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d1120#listing=261363062

say what you want about the interior color but carbon seats! kind of surprised it has been on the market this long

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?zip=07090&transmission=M&showNegotiable=true&sortDir=ASC&sourceContext=carGurusHomePageModel&distance=50000&sortType=DEAL_SCORE&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d1120#listing=243800544

Looks like Corsa not Barchetta, but a red 95 GTS seems like it also should have sold already.

Im sure there are a few hidden ones (interesting the only 2 I could find were from the same seller), but if you're in the market for a non-spyder manual car there are not many options

4. Doramon0720

Doramon0720 Karting

Jan 17, 2015
    Rancho Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Steven
    I don't know what will happen to our 355. However, I see that NSX has shot up significantly just the last few years. My '94 NSX that I bought at more than half of the price of my '99 355 F1 Berlinetta over 10 years ago is worth almost the same now. I see that 355 has similar characteristics and historical importance as NSX. Therefore, FWIW, I think it will be just matter of time....

5. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I totally disagree. Not even int he same park regarding significance or water shed moment. For Ferrari it was nice but not historically significant in any way. It was an evolution not a revolution. Major issue with NSX is they all have high hard miles on them as it was as easy as driving a Camry.

6. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Have to disagree on the NSX mileage issue. There are a dozen NSX on Cargrus with under 30k miles. Seven under 20k. They have a following and they are easy to service. And FWIW, the 355 isn't much harder to drive that a Miata. Remember, due to the power steering (over boosted IMO) it was also dubbed the first Ferrari a woman could drive. LOL.

7. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    What's funny (at least to me) is its really the last mid-engine that a Man can drive. The trans needs to be warmed up, the clutch is a little heavy on my '95. Now with these modern Ferraris, you can just have one as your daily driver and drive it anywhere.

8. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Get into a 308 some time and try to park it. You can barely turn the wheel without the car moving. My 355 is like driving my wife's BMW, but yes, the clutch is a little heavy.

9. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    If that black car is worth 96k mine is worth 200k

10. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan

Obviously? Wheres the receipts?

11. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    When I was looking years back they were all clapped out on the west coast It was a bummer. Maybe its market timing, I'm sure there is nice ones too yes.

I know the 355 is easy to drive, the issue I was refering to was specifically historical importance. The 335 was not the first usable super car, making its historical importance barley registering. Its just a really nice Ferrari trying to catch up to what the NSX did to make supercars livable. Now if the 355 came out before the NSX it would be different? But being the first usable Ferrari is something yes but even then many would argue that did not happen until the 360 or 430 even.

355, beauty, untouched by any other modern car at least. Historical importance outside Ferrari lore - none to speak of. 355 was an evolutionary car. The NSX was a revolutionary car, big difference.

12. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    All opinion.

355 was the first road car with F1 paddles. Also first with > 100 hp per liter. It may not have been "revolutionary" for Ferrari since Ferrari's business was supercars. Honda's business was not supercars or even sportscars.

The NSX (1st gen) is a special car. Great driving position and view of the road. Stellar handling. The slickest shifting I've ever experienced. But the 355 is an event. It destroys the NSX in every aspect aside from maintenance costs.

Michael Burgoyne and Robb like this.
  13. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Ahh ok, I see, yes... the 355 was the most significant car in the last century. Perhaps ever.

14. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    My 98 NSX only has 23K miles :) . Totally different driving experience than the 355.

15. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Clearly I never said that. But you stated "Historical importance outside Ferrari lore - none to speak of" and I gave you some historical precedents set by the 355. Facts.

16. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I don't recall saying you said that. But it seems any car that introduces a "feature" is significant. Got it. The 355 has historical significance importance outside Ferrari lore. Let' move on.

17. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Yes, exactly. Where are the receipts? The CarFax reports damage, but no receipts offered. The rear frame lower cross member has been replaced. Maybe just bent from jacking. But what concerns me is the paint thickness on the rear quarters and roof compared to the doors, hood, and rear deck. It's over 3 x as thick as normal. Even the front fenders are significantly different from each other. Compare to the uniformity of this one. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1999-ferrari-f355-spider-17/ Seems obvious to me that the rear was painted and given the other indicators, well, that's my conclusion.

18. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I disagree. There're many on this forum who like to think every car thats not perfect is a dumpster fire, I dont know if you think bashing makes your car better somehow.
    Carfax is pretty accurate when it come to distinguishing an accident vs damage. You cant damage both rear fenders unless your rear ended, which would be recorded as an accident. I've owned 30+ cars in the last decade and the most common thing listed as damage is windshield cracks and replacements.
    The paint quality is poor for the miles, yes, but some of that can be attributed to the highly detailed pictures that do show everything.
    The rear bumper is not aligned, but thats likely due to a whoever last took it off not putting it on right. I also noticed in the walk around the front trunk wasn't latched, that doesn't mean it was wrecked.
    the paint thickness is 100% consistent when the hips being repainted due to buttress cracks, just like every single berlinetta has.

19. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I have been tempted by that red one. What was the consensus on it? Color could be bad pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Take it as you like. Somebody paid 96k + for the car. I wouldn't have.

21. bcar1

bcar1 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 2, 2017
    NYC/NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob
  22. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

23. Doramon0720

Doramon0720 Karting

Jan 17, 2015
    Rancho Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Steven
    First of all, I have to make a correction. I bought the NSX at less than half of the price of my 355. As for significance, just like someone mentioned earlier, it is the first road car to use the F1 system. (Not just Ferrari, all production cars). I believe 355 is also the first road car to have full body flat undertray (correct me if I am wrong). In my opinion, 355 is faster in the straight line due to its 100HP+ advantage, however, NSX is more nimble when both in stock form. Both of my cars have Tubi exhaust so both sounds great (yes, or else the NSX will sound like an Accord before VTEC kicks in). Actually the driving experience, aside from the power, feel rather similar to me. Both car have the go cart feel and both red line pass 8000+ RPM. That is why I believe similar crowd will appreciate these two cars and maybe the market trend will be similar. This is just my .02.

24. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Well, not so fast. Big misconception about Ferrari being the 1st to put a sequential transmission in a road car. They have been around since the 40's. As for more modern versions don't forget the BMW SMG transmission introduced on the M3 in 1997, same year as the Ferrari F1 gear box. Ferrari was definitely not the 1st. I have to agree with Eric here. The 355 was an evolution of the 348. Other than the front and rear treatment the styling isn't much different from the 348. And the engine development was pretty much in response to the NSX. But either way, both are just cars. Drive, enjoy.

25. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    NSX and 355 are both amazing and the same crowd is attracted to them. I'd have a HARD time picking if I had to have 1 and just 1. No dispute there. The 348 is prettier than all of them. :p

But back to topic at hand, the Spiders sale on BAT seems to languish a but the the Berlinettas ar fetching strong money. The Berlinettas may really be something..... one would expect a rising tide lifts all ships but I suspect the Berlinettas will not pull the Spiders up as much. Both are pretty the Spider actually being prettier I believe until you put the top up.