360 - Anyone tracking a 360 Modena | FerrariChat

360 Anyone tracking a 360 Modena

Discussion in '360/430' started by Mario Andretti, Aug 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    Hi,

My second post here.. I am shopping around for a Manual 360 (for now), and I would like to know how good or bad this car is on the track. I will track it for sure... I only have place for one toy in my garage, and my current toy will go if I get the Ferrari...

Should I assume the car is reasonable reliable to be able to track it; assuming the usual tires/brakes are consumables, and many oil changes (I usually do it after each other event).?

Thanks

2. Jeffg11

Jeffg11 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 31, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff Grabowski
    I own one and have run track events with it. It pains me to say this, but it isn't the most rewarding car to drive on track. #FlameAway

ihavearedferrari likes this.
  3. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    thanks for feedback; is yours a manual or F1 automatic gearbox?

4. CCRider66

CCRider66 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Sussex, WI
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I've tracked mine many times, very reliable and absolutely the most fun to drive IMHO. I've been Drag racing multiple cars including the 360! I've tracked BMW 330XI, Porsche 911 4CS, and now the 360. I run in the intermediate class, hold my own without a problem (being that I rarely get passed) and I've even had my son run in the beginner class for the past 5 years and never once has she let us down! I don't do 150mph into a corner with 50ft left to stomp on the brakes so I still have my original Race Pads. I'm trying to have the best lap time, just out there to have fun without crashing. :D:D F1 for me :D:D:D

greg328 likes this.
  5. Jeffg11

Jeffg11 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 31, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff Grabowski
    I have an F1 car. Regardless of transmission, the understeer will be ever present. PM me if you would like to discuss.
    FWIW, I have raced open wheel cars, Camaros, and Spec Miatas. I also tune suspensions for a living. I love my 360, but it just isn't the best track car available for the money.

6. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    I track my gated Spider 3-4 times per year at the local dealer organized track days. The car is a lot slower than more modern Ferrari so it can be frustrating if you have a less experienced driver in a more modern car being slow through the corners and then hammering it on the straight as you can't pass them. Otherwise, the car is quite fun to drive, I don't really feel any understeer. My car is fully stock just get high performance braking fluid and be prepared to get new rotors, pads, and tires every season.

7. Jeffg11

Jeffg11 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 31, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff Grabowski
  8. jdlegg

jdlegg Karting

Dec 22, 2009
    Bryan
    Full Name:
    James D
    I used to track my previous '00 360 6-speed regularly. It had a Tubi and simply sounded magical at higher RPM. Taught my two younger sons how to drive a stick on track with it as well. Only complaint would be stock brake cooling is only sufficient for 2-3 hot laps in succession. The soft pedal going into corners will let you know when it's time for a cool-down lap. :) Also found that a solid day of track events ended up consuming brake pads & rotors. Finally got wise and decided to use up someone else's consumables at AMG Driving Academies. Much cheaper seat time with them.

9. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    It’s robust enough to stand up to track use. Is it the most neutral or best handling car? No, but certainly entertaining enough. I agree it’s frustrating on a track with novices in cars faster down straights, but that’s true with any car sharing a track with those with more HP.
    It’s fairly sensitive to tire pressures and alignment, so check the alignment before you go and watch pressures throughout or at least between each session. Mine is a gated manual.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

SRLC716 and Performify like this.
  10. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    FWIW: I only have relevant experience in the F430, not the 360, but in respect to the F1 vs 3-pedal, I think it is indeed relevant.

I was not in love with the F1 until I hit the track. On the track the F1 is magic, it truly is. It's so perfectly intuitive and capable.... I don't know why I'd want anything else (on my track car that is). In a street car, I still would prefer that 3rd-pedal I think, BUT; the F1 in the 360/F430 is VERY effective at killing any urges to go stop-light-drag-racing in it. haha.

As an instructor for the PCA, I'll tell you that there's still something magical about a Ferrari on the track. People stop what they're doing and come to the wall to watch / listen. Many of the complaints voiced above are also true of the F430, once you push the car hard: Understeer, underbraked, and Always something there with more HP. And the fact is you'll get less respect from the paddock for being FAST in the Ferrari, because they expect it. Go fast in a (whatever underdog you can think of) and they'll give you mad props. But the only respect you'll get for going fast at the track in a Ferrari is from the rest of us owners, who'll cheer you on for tracking your Ferrari, just as God & Enzo intended.

Here's a lap with Street Tires and Street Brakes.

SRLC716, jdlegg, Need4Spd and 2 others like this.
  11. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Well, not all tracks are created equal.

I would ask yourself what kind of sessions are you wanting to be doing and on what kinda of a regular basis?

I have tracked my car at Circuit of the Americas here in Texas....30 minute sessions.
    Its an F1 track, it's a very big, high speed track, with a lot of brake points from 140's -150mph down to like 45mph, it's very hard on the car.

So for me, to do regular events there, I'm looking for a newer car, the 360s are going on 20 years now.

Smaller tracks, shorter sessions, I really enjoy my 360 on and think its perfect on.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my LM-V350 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Agreed. The other thing you have to watch for with a stick is overrevving it on a downshift. F1 will prevent you from going down to a gear that would force the engine past redline, but no such safety net with a stick. T7 at Sonoma, where my pic was taken, has a hairpin at the end of a long straight. As my entry speed and confidence grew, I was getting closer and closer to needing third instead of second and almost went in too fast for second!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

jag-oo-r likes this.
  13. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Am an intermediate amateur. I don’t heel and toe, hence, F1 is perfect (“magic” as Jag posted) for me (ie., not having to worry about rev matching). I track once year. The 360 is reliable. The brakes could be better. 400 hp is good for the street, but IMHO not in the track. Everyone (well, almost) in their newer cars will zoom past you. That maybe the frustrating part.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

brookliner7 and Need4Spd like this.
  14. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I love my 3-pedal.. but if I were to have a track toy it would be an F1/DCT.

15. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    I am considering a 3 pedal only at the moment, I love heel and toe.. I track a Shelby GT350R at the moment.. I don't expect the older Ferrari to be as fast but it will be entertaining, right? My tracks are all very twisty and technical, short straights and lots of elevation changes (on and off camber too) : Palmer motorsports park, New Hampshire Motor speedway , Thompson, etc. I am in New England.

I do love changing my gears, and I would love an F430 manual, but they are as common as Hen's teeth, and priced accordingly.
    I could swing by an automatic F430, but it will be less fun (for me), hence my question about a 360 Modena on track (manual)... Thanks for all the feedback.

AndreB, Need4Spd and brookliner7 like this.