Ferrari 250 GTE - Alternator Magneti Marelli GCA 101 A ? | FerrariChat

Ferrari 250 GTE - Alternator Magneti Marelli GCA 101 A ?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Dr. Saravirta / Finland, Aug 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dr. Saravirta / Finland

Aug 12, 2020
    Lappeenranta
    Full Name:
    Ali Jukka Saravirta
    Hi GTE 250 owners!

Based on the earlier discussions, Ferrari 250 GTE Series III originally had an alternator, Magneti Marelli GCA101/A. Hopefully this is correct info.

I am looking for an original Alternator Magneti Marelli GCA101/A for my Ferrari 250 GTE Series III (chassis 4515 ). At the moment I have an old alternator that is a non-original one.

Does anybody possess a suitable alternator, which is also for sale? Alternatively, a non-functioning one with the main parts still left would be needed for restoration? Moreover, a picture with the instructions would be helpful.

I am looking forward to your reply.

2. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Tervetuloa forumiin.

Itselläni ei ole tarjolla tai edes tiedossa mainittua laturia.
    Oletan teidän jo olleen yhteydessä K. Pietilään.

P.S. Ja jos teillä ei sellaisia jo ole, suosittelisin omistajan käsi- sekä vara-osa kirjojen + mahdollisten huolto-oppaiden hankkimista, vaikka kopioina.

3. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    #3 John Vardanian, Aug 13, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    Hi Ali, mine is a 1964 model with a GCA101/B. Here are some picture you requested. Make sure you have the proper bracketery for your car. Good luck.

john

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

4. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Hi Ali,

the change to the Gca 101 was within the Series 3 range. Mine is 4701 and had the Gca 101, other earlier S3 would still have the DN63. What Vin is yours?

Cheers
    Christopher

5. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    turbo-joe likes this.
  6. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    One way to pin down what your car was equipped with would be to look at cars with vin’s near to your car. You might finf info and pictures to do so in the 250 Gte register maintained by Tom Wilson.
    http://www.250gte.com/

7. Dr. Saravirta / Finland

Aug 12, 2020
    Lappeenranta
    Full Name:
    Ali Jukka Saravirta
    Hi
    Very many thanks for your replies.

To TTR: Do you have any contact info of K. Pietilä? I would love to contact him. Yes, I do have already one original "Operating, maintenance and service handbook of Ferrari 250 GTE. it seems to be quite expensive based on the prices paid for it at Spotheby's auction this year (2020).

To ChristC:
    I am also a member of www.250.com forum. There seems to be no clear answer from which VIN number they started to use Magneti Marelli GCA 101/A or GCA101/B.

The earlier Ferrari Chat discussion (November, 10, 2018) on this subject was as follows:
    Tom Wilson from the Gte Register was so nice to look it up in the 250 Gte Register. Here is his answer:
    "This is something I have not collected information on, but should. Going through my build sheets I see that 4039 GT (19th to last Series II) and 4081 GT (3rd to last Series II) had DN 63 B's. 4165 GT (25th Series III) and 4169 GT (27th Series III) had GCA 101 A's. So we have a range. Now we need to narrow it down."

To Cristopher: The VIN code of my Ferrari is 250GTE4515. So the chassis number is 4515, which is earlier than yours (4701).

To John Vardanian: Many thanks for the workshop manual page.

The search goes on. Keep me posted whenever your hear further details.

8. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Yes, I know that Tom provided this Info as I started the thread. But as there is no clear change date I would try to have a look at what the cars around 4515 have by looking at the pictures of those in the register. Onliest chance to get more clues from my point of view without built sheet being available. There was a gca101 available the last months on ebay. It is out of it now. Gto has new ones as well as new regulators.

9. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I do, but out of respect for privacy I won’t share it here publicly and being that you as a new member may not yet have enough privilege to receive/send private messages, I’ll leave it up to him to contact you (he’s a long established member here and likely will see this thread shortly, if hasn’t already).

10. Dr. Saravirta / Finland

Aug 12, 2020
    Lappeenranta
    Full Name:
    Ali Jukka Saravirta
    Hi.

Luckily I managed to get an email from David Wheeler on this matter on the 13th of August, 2020. His reply was:

"Ali.
    Unlike the changes from Series 1 to Series 2 GTEs, which was vague in terms of timing and content, the change to Series 3 was quite clear cut. I think we can therefore be fairly certain that the change to the GCA 101 A alternator took place at that time. Your car, 4515, therefore was most likely originally fitted with this type of alternator.
    Kind regards
    David"

11. bertdeboer340

bertdeboer340 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert de Boer
  12. Dr. Saravirta / Finland

Aug 12, 2020
    Lappeenranta
    Full Name:
    Ali Jukka Saravirta
    Hi Bert de Boer,

Thank you for the picture
    taken in 2003!
    Yes, the picture seems to be from my car (chassis 4515). Mr. Otto Panthöfer from Siegen (Germany) was its owner at that time. According to my records of owner history Otto Panthöfer possessed the car (license plate SI-JT3H) between 30.3.1998 (last payment) - 27.6.2005. Otto Panthöfer registered the car in Germany on the 17.4.1998 after some maintenance. The car was imported from Switzerland by Auto-Salon Siegen on the 27.3.1998 based on their contract on the 11.3.1998.
    :)

13. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    When I researched if for mine DN63 or Gca would be right I found that the change must have been somewhere in between S3, clearly not with the change from 2 to 3. I did speak to Tom Yang about it when we met at his party in 2015. He also coild not clearly point out the change. There are many S3 with DN63 and I believe noone would retrofit them. Does David have new info out of his research for his book? Will write to him and ask him.

14. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    #14 kare, Aug 15, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    PM sent.

Not a definite proof of much anything, but the last car clearly showing a DN63 generator in the photos I've hoarded over the years, is 4011. Therefore I've lawys thought the transition took place during late 2nd series. Those with better collections of foglie may have a more accurate opinion on this.

TTR likes this.