Thinking about going from a 2011 California to a 2017 California T | FerrariChat

Thinking about going from a 2011 California to a 2017 California T

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by russellmcg, Aug 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. russellmcg

russellmcg Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    As some of you might know, my car was in a wreck last week, and I believe it is going to be totaled. I only had the car for 3 weeks, so I was still getting used to driving it.

I am thinking about upgrading to a 2017 California T since there seem to be a good number of Ferrari approved ones online right now.

For those who have made the jump from an older Cali to a new one, how much different/better are they?

Windy City Ferrari likes this.
  2. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
  3. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
  4. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
  5. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    Is it that much noticeable better and worth it? Have seen mixed reviews on it.

6. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    And unlike the Cal and Cal 30,the T and PF have a LOT more hp and tq available from a tune because the factory removes so much to make the engine feel normally aspirated. For example, with the T over 100 lb-ft was removed in the first three gears. Mufflers,x-pipe,BMC air filters,and a VR Tuned flash turned my Portofino into an animal at wot.

7. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I went from a 2013 Cali 30, which I loved, to a 2015 T. The T is much faster, things are more refined in the cabin and as much as I loved the looks of the Cali 30 the reworking on the front end and rear of the car really looks great to me. In my opinion, it looks better than the Portofino. Supposedly they made some improvements to the gearbox to mitigate the problems with the speed sensor -- I have had no issues -- and on my T the top has been flawless, I had some issues with the top on my 2013 that took some effort to straighten out. Really, the only thing I missed about the Cali 30 is the sound of the normally aspirated engine.

The best part about the HS package on the T, to me, is the exhaust ... it sounds much better. I added that exhaust to my 2015 and it's great. It is made for Ferrari by Tubi. It's deeper than the Cali 30 but it sounds really good now. I already have Magneride on my car and don't feel like it needs to be any stiffer than it already is in Sport mode. The one complaint I've heard is Sport can be too stiff on the street on the HS if the roads are at all questionable, which they often are here in the northeast US.

I don't think there were many, if any, changes between 2015 and 2017 other than the HS package becoming available, so I wouldn't rule out any year Cali T if the color and options are what you are looking for. It would be difficult for me to go back to an earlier California after living with the T for a while. But they are all great cars.

Happy hunting ... let us know if they do total your California, it did not look that severe to me.

Sammi and whatheheck like this.
  8. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    Thanks for the info on this! It is really good feedback! I hope to hear something about my car either today or tomorrow according to the dealership. I have already started looking at T's and am excited to see what happens.

9. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    Yes, Handling Speciale is a huge improvement fo California T. Without it car has a very small spectrum and it is too tamed. exhaust and driving improves significantly. You notice it especially when you are driving a bit faster.

10. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I’ve driven both several times and the only thing I noticed that I’d maybe put in the negative I the exhaust note as vjd3 said.The T is a lot more refined. If the cost difference isn’t an issue the T in my opinion is a better car and you don’t seem to have near the worry with DCT issues.

11. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    Thanks for the input.

As of now, I think I am going to try and find a 2016-2017 T that does not have the handling option. I do not track my car and the roads in my city are pretty rough. Seems like the handling package would only make the roads feel even worse.

12. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Yes, I had a 2017 Cali T HS. The shifts are a lot faster and it has a sport exhaust built in. That is to say that it's more than a standard exhaust for sound. The magneride is included in the package so you can use the stiffer sport or use magneride to smooth it out. As an option package it was $8k and it was one of the best options for the money they offered on the car.

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    we had a 2013 30 HS and a 2017 T HS. back in 2018 a $100k difference in price made the 30 such a better choice, now there isn't as much of a difference.

to me the ONLY thing the T had as an advantage was power (but not the type of power you notice, the NA of the 30 is more involved) and it had more consistent handling in various driving environments (sometimes the 30 would jump out at you).

I believe the 30 looks better and I preferred the driving experience and sounds of the 30 much better too.

Sammi likes this.
  14. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    Yeah, I have eyed a few 30's but I plan on keeping this car for a long time and would want one that is a newer car so will last longer. I told my wife I want to keep this one for 10 years. We will see how that works out. So far, in the last 25 years of me owning cars, 3 is the longest I have made it. :-D

15. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    HS is very much personal. I don't care much for it. The T is a GT, and like the Cali, it feels like a heavy GT. This is not a criticism, it's a great car. My point is just that the HS pack tries to make the T something it's not and never will be. It does not transform it into a proper sportscar, just a more compromised and less comfy GT. Unless you track it and try to find the limit, I think HS is nothing but E numbers and a gimmick. Not saying you will think the same, that's just my view. If you want more sound, there are endless combinations on offer. Being it an OE HS exhaust or a Novi or Capristo offering, there are lots of ways to personalize the sound.

See if you can get a drive in both types and choose what you like.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Sammi likes this.
  16. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    The nice thing is you can add the factory Tubi HS sport mufflers to the T after the fact, if you can live without the sharper handling (shifts seem plenty fast to me on the regular T). That is well worth the price of admission. I miss the sound of my former Cali 30 less now that I put the HS mufflers on the T. Agree that the Cali 30 had more than enough power but the T is significantly quicker, and if you get a piggyback tune to unleash the motor -- same engine as in the 488 -- I'm sure it's faster still. Not that I would do that ... it's plenty fast enough for the street.

17. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    Yeah, for me, I am looking at it as a true GT car. I want something that is nice and comfy when needed and driving around town here and there. The exhaust on my 2011 Cali was something I loved! Would certainly look at upgrading the system on the T when I get one. I have a buddy with a 355 and it sounds like a beast. Now I know the Cali will not sound like that, but I have to have something that I can puff my chest out to. :-D

BLAMPEE likes this.
  18. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

Ahh....I DO miss the sound of F355 Spider......aftermarket cats, headers, and exhaust.....Jesus....I have never heard a sound so sweet. :)

19. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    Yes sir. Sounds like a freaking F1 car. Hard to beat that sound.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

BLAMPEE likes this.
  20. Akajak1

Akajak1 Karting

Jun 24, 2020
    UK
    One thing to be aware of, my T has had a new CCP kit due to gearbox sensor failure; it was under warranty but the part alone was circa £13000; I believe they now however can be repaired by certain F dealerships. I don’t know what causes these failures, but it does seem the Cali and other F cars of that era can be prone to failure. I don’t know if you can test to see whether there is an impending fail, I presume not.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

21. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    Thanks for the info on this. I plan on purchasing the extended warranty on this so hopefully it would be covered if it ever failed.