You KNOW you're from Washington... | FerrariChat

You KNOW you're from Washington...

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Jedi, May 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    YOU KNOW YOU ARE FROM WASHINGTON STATE WHEN:
    You know the Vitamin d deficiency struggle is real.
    You know how to pronounce Sequim, Puyallup, Sammamish, Enumclaw and Issaquah.
    You avoid driving through Seattle at all costs.
    You know what a Geoduck is and how to pronounce it!
    You consider swimming an indoor sport.
    You see a person carrying an umbrella and instantly think tourist.
    Your lawn is mostly moss and you don't really care.
    Honking your car horn is for absolute emergencies.
    You're EXTREMELY picky about your coffee.
    “The mountain is out today", isn't a strange statement.
    While out of state you just tell people you're from Seattle since that's the only known city in Washington according to the rest of the world.
    You remember Almost Live.
    You've eaten in the Space Needle, and while it was delicious, you're never paying $100 for a meal in the sky again [restaurant now closed LOL!]
    You rarely wash your car because it's just going to get washed by the rain tomorrow.
    You're used to the phrase "No, not DC" when telling out of staters where you're from.
    Northface is always in fashion.
    You take a warm coat and a hat with you for a day at the beach.
    You have mastered the art of doing everything in the rain, because, well, Washington.
    You play the "no - you go" at a four-way stop.
    You have had both the thought of how beautiful Mount Rainier is, while simultaneously accepting that it will probably kill you someday.
    You get a little twitchy if it's been more than a week since it last rained.
    You believe Twilight ruined Forks.
    You can say Humptulips, Lilliwap and Dosewallips without giggling - AND you know where those places are!

:):)

Jedi

[sent to me by my 30 YO daughter Jenni]

Split S, Il Steeg, jcurry and 3 others like this.
  2. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Very good!

While I've been here nearly 30 yrs I haven't adopted all the behavioral aspects, e.g. I do not tolerate "no - you go" and honk regularly at the natives.:D

3. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Good list!!!!! Grew up along the border. I remember Almost Live, but now I'll age myself. How about J.P. Patches?

4. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Remember when the choice of afternoon shows was JP Patches, or Captain Puget, or Stan Boreson, or Brakeman Bill?

Remember how horribly violent and racist cartoons used to be?

Dave46 likes this.
  5. Jedi

Jedi Moderator

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Are you kidding?! Of COURSE I remember J. P. Patches!! Watched his show every morning before school and again every day after school.

In 2005 I hired him to be the host of my wife's birthday party in our living room!! We had over 60 friends crammed in - all of us "Patches Pals" from way back!

I have many many photos but not on this computer - I'll post up a few tomorrow when I'm at the "archive desk"

Jedi

max930 likes this.
  6. Jedi

Jedi Moderator

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I was on Brakeman Bill - but really so little I barely remember it much. I only know Captain Puget by name. Wasn't a Stan Borreson fan at all.

Another many will remember: Wanda Wanda Show? "Will he won't he, will he won't he, stand up today?" LOL!

Some of the cartoons sure - but NOT the beloved hosts like JP and Brakeman Bill. Not even close.

Jedi

7. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Ha, all good ones! Had a guy from Virginia here working years ago and he came in one day and said "you are some crazy folks out here, you named a state park after some dudes Mom." We all wondered what he was talking about and he said..."There's a sign on the road to Tacoma that says Joe Mamma's State Park". No....that's Joemma Beach you moron.

Oh, and it's LilliwaUp by the way! ;) Puyallup is the dead giveaway someone isn't from around here when they try to say it.

I always tell people who ***** about the rain during the winter...Don't worry, it'll stop raining...about July 5th. :D

If you live in Belfair and divorce your wife she is still legally your sister (or cousin).

Jedi likes this.
  8. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Cool!!!!!!

9. Jedi

Jedi Moderator

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Here's a couple pix from JP Patches in my living room.... March 2005 for my wife's 43rd birthday. He showed up at our house in a BMW 750 all dressed up in full makeup and all! I asked why he wasn't in a VW Beetle or something.... his reply "Do I look like someone who would drive a clown car?" :):)

Unfortunately it was a chilly rainy day so we couldn't go out in the yard.

But he entertained us for almost two hours, telling all his "Patches Pals" great anecdotes about the show, behind the scenes stuff, and lots of great little insider stories of his many years as "Seattle's favorite clown".

It was fun. We were all very said when he passed but so grateful to have finally met him - right in my own living room!

Jedi

[Note the expressions of the two "our age" on the left - in rapt attention. Then note the expressions on the three youngsters, all thinking "who the hell is this ancient icky looking clown? I have better things to do than this!"]

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Il Steeg and Jdubbya like this.
  10. Jedi

Jedi Moderator

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    By the way, he wasn't exactly cheap - but given his stature in Seattle-area culture, he was reasonable - it was around $500 for his fee + travel expenses. I thought it was a very good deal and didn't bat an eye

Jedi

11. Dave46

Dave46 Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2006
    Central Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Davison
    I lived in Central Texas in the 70's after I got Married and figured out real quick that when someone down there asked where I was from to say 160 miles SE of Seattle. If you said Washington they started fussing about Yankees and politicians but if you said a ways from Seattle they just commented that it rained all the time.

max930 and Texas Forever like this.
  12. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    When I lived in central Washington State, Id say the same when in LA. In Vegas last Dec, two ladies approached me at the lounge in Harrah's. At first I thought they where hookers. They asked where from. Said Vancouver. They asked Washington or Canada. I was surprised by that. Figured out quickly not hookers. Visiting Vegas from Seattle..........................................

13. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Almost live.....High fivin White guys!!

You know that Galloping Gertie is NOT a horse and can explain what it was.

Il Steeg likes this.
  14. Ptggdudley

Ptggdudley Rookie

Mar 15, 2016
    Kent,WA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    You remember what happened on May 18, 1980 and probably had a souvenir of the event (likely delivered to your door for free, yes before Amazon prime)

f355spider likes this.
  15. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    We got ash in our yard near Vancouver BC. It was a major event and I still remember it. I was only 8. In 1988 my school did a camping trip there. It was still pretty damaged.

16. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I lived in Tacoma, we got almost nothing ash wise at our house. Very light dusting but that was it. Eastern WA was almost literally buried. I went on a summer trip with my grandparents that summer and I remember there being piles of ash that had been plowed like snow drifts on the side of I-90. Big piles!! I do remember the day, Sunday riding along in the car and I spotted the plume, sure enough it had blown.

17. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    We just got a light dusting.............. It was my first major historical event. Second was Reagan getting shot.

18. Jedi

Jedi Moderator

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I would actually count those myself!

I could add "the day Kennedy was shot" - but I was only 2 years old. Only reason I remember it was I was supposed to be getting my very first hair cut at the town barber shop with Grandpa and dad - walked 2 blocks from home for my "Big Day in the Big Boy Barber Chair".

Except when we got there, the shop was packed with men in hats all smoking and staring up that the huge boxey TV on the wall, including Dad, Gramps and most importantly my barber. I just sat in the "Big Boy Barber Chair" ignored and couldn't understand why. Then we walked home, no haircut.

It wasn't until many years later that I learned what was going on.

But still - "I was there" - and then my following major historical events after that were the same as yours :)

Dave
    W7UUU

max930 likes this.
  19. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I was born in 72, a few years after the Kennedy assassination. Another event I remember is the Iran hostage crisis. My area also had a serial killer killing kids. His victims ranged in ages from 9 to 18. It was a scary time, but crazy parents still let us play outside alone.

Clifford Olson - Wikipedia

20. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I vaguely remember the moon landing too. All I really remember was we were all at my Nana's house gathered round the tv. But I was a wee lad, only about 3 I think.