Driving Experience Question | FerrariChat

Driving Experience Question

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by joeracer, Aug 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joeracer

joeracer Karting

Oct 13, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Joe T
    Looking to join the club again but torn between 488 and F12. I’ve been unable to test drive either so thought I’d seek the wisdom here. Looking for a weekend car that is fun to drive. My definition of fun is accelerated quickly handles/brakes well. Something that is special when you get in it. I’ve really enjoyed the mid-engine Ferrari’s I’ve owned as they clearly are fun but they’ve all been normally aspirated. Not sure how the turbos may or may not change the experience. I’ve also owned a 550 and was disappointed because it didn’t change direction or brake well. That would obviously lead me to a 488 but I’ve seen a lot that would say the F12 is much more capable and fun to drive than my own experience. Thanks for any input!

RogGT-R likes this.
  2. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Its such a personal choice, in the end I just love the NA sound and experience and that would lead me to the F12. I found the 488 GTB to be a little bit too GT oriented. I would actually go for a 458 and save the money- but you might say you prefer to have the torque of the 488 and how could anyone argue that. These are all great cars.

3. Romaihi

Romaihi Rookie

Apr 26, 2020
    Qatar
    Full Name:
    Hamad Al Romaihi
    F12 = comfort, practical, V12, exotic sound

488= compliments, mid engine, nimbleness

Styling= it depends what you like more!!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

GeeDubb likes this.
  4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You need to drive them.

But personally, I'd choose the 488 and here's why.

If we disregard the sound, the 488 does everything better.

As a GT, the 488 is better. It is much more comfy. It has a very compliant and composed chassis. By comparison, while the F12 is also soft, it feels very oversprung. This results in a very busy feeling suspension that also actually feels a bit harsh and jarring at times. So while it is quite rolly-polly in the corners as it tries to have a GT side to its personality, that side is compromised by the busy chassis.

As a canyon carver and track day car, the 488 is vastly superior. The astonishing thing about the 488 is that it manages to be better at this task while retaining a higher level of comfort as a cruiser.

In the response department I think the 488 is superior too. There is a lot of talk about the overly light and fast steering of the F12, but few remember ti mention the equally sensitive throttle. It is not 458 bad, but it is way too sensitive for good modulation. All this result in a car that can become a chore to drive for extended periods. This again pulls it further from the GT aspect of it.

In my humble opinion, the F12 debuted at a time when Ferrari struggled a bit to find the right balance. Like the 458 and F12, the FF and Cali also has their quirks.

But like the Lusso, Cali T and 812, the 488 seems to have been much more on point. I know some will absolutely disagree, but I don't thing the F12 is sorted. Yes it has the sound, but in every single other aspect I think the 488 is a better car. Even in terms of boot space, the 488 is very roomy.

Now it is not a question of me not liking V12 cars. Had you asked about an 812, I would choose that in a heartbeat.

But you need to get your feet wet. If your dealer won't let you go for a proper drive, rent both cars for a weekend and see how you like them.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Themaven, Newjoint, GeeDubb and 3 others like this.
  5. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I will balance it out. Never felt a twitchy throttle from the F12 in over 6 years. Mine has springs and correct settings with corner balancing so zero roll as well. Never looked at the mid engines though. Was looking for the monster NA V12 with a alluring PF body and F12 has it in spades. A four hour quick pace through the mountains and it will leave a smile for the rest of the month. A small block, small compression turbo non PF car that needs 50 % more cylinders is a no against my use plan. 812 would be OK with major loss of vision perhaps. :)

6. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    My take -
    -comfort, 488,
    -handling, 488,
    -power delivery, 488 (the F12 is brilliant but the massive torque without feeling overtly turbocharged is a real party piece and works great for the road),
    -looks F12 (although most would say their idea of an exotic car is a mid layout so if you want an ‘exotic’ look maybe it’s the other way around),
    -an event to drive, has to be F12 with that wonderful V12 engine,
    -practicality, must be F12 again, although 488 is pretty good too,
    -evening out, F12
    -easiest to drive (very) fast, 488
    -want to work for your thrills?, F12
    -value, a tie - these are probably the two best-value Ferraris at the moment
    -sound, ....do you need to ask?! If sound is very high in your thinking, getting behind a modern Ferrari V12 is a seminal moment.

At the end of the day, it really depends where you’re coming from. If you never had a mid-engine or you simply love mid-engine it’s the 488, if the other way around, it’s the F12. If covering ground safely at ultra-quick speeds is important to you, choose the 488 but if you want sound, charm and classic looks, choose the F12. These cars are very different, which makes your choice quite easy really.

My personal choice, unless I could have more than one car in the garage, would be the 488, simply because I love the mid-engined layout and the fact that it is so different to all the cars I have owned/daily driven for most of my life and I love fast driving, and the 488 is shockingly fast but also friendly to drive quickly. In most drivers’ hands the F12 wouldn’t see which way the 488 went. But that’s just my personal choice.

7. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    great write up thx

8. RogGT-R

RogGT-R Karting

Jul 20, 2020
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Roger B
    I am picking up an F12 tomorrow morning and it’s my first fezza.

Couple of excellent write ups above and agree fully the 488 is probably the ‘better’ car.

I didn’t buy one though.... Having gone through same thought process you are (enjoy it) the F12 is staggeringly beautiful (light years ahead of 488 in my eyes) and great value plus - that engine.

I was worried when went to drive all the talk of steering and throttles - I hopped in and drove it and have not a clue what anyone is on about. It was as sharp as my GT-R SpecV but not in the least bit worrying - throttle was nothing out of the ordinary and loved every second of it.

Before anyone asks about my driving like a wuss - I got blinking LEDs a number of times to change up in 2, 3 and 4 :)

x z8, Lukeylikey, Bundy and 1 other person like this.
  9. GeeDubb

GeeDubb Rookie

Jan 25, 2019
    Full Name:
    Glen Williams
    I have an F12, and it has been a great car. The sounds scores points with me for sure. I also like the physical size and styling over the 488. And its a vehicle that expects a lot of input from its driver to get the best back. Personally i would not rate it as a GT car as it is "busy and fussy" to drive. (Which i like) with its flighty handling, firmish ride.

Have only been a passenger 488 . It was more civilised on the road, more comfortable and just felt like a more "polished " all round vehicle.

I think If you want angry = F12
    If you want a bit more practical and driver friendly = 488.

Both great cars in their own way.

Sent from my SM-G935F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Bundy and Caeruleus11 like this.
  10. RogGT-R

RogGT-R Karting

Jul 20, 2020
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Roger B
    What spring may I ask as that might be next tweak after exhaust valves and tyres?

11. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I'm using Novitec. Its a two spring setup at each corner. Suspension needs to be done by a qualified source and if you are changing springs then address all settings for a full solution. This car takes very well to proper adjustment.

Caeruleus11, Bundy and RogGT-R like this.
  12. joeracer

joeracer Karting

Oct 13, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Joe T
    Thanks for all the great input! I had the chance to drive a 488 today. It reminded me a lot of my 458. The dealer here now has an F12 that I will try to drive as well. I couldn't find any exotic rental shops in town that have an F12.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  13. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I have been trying to find an exotic rental shop for an extended drive in an F12 or 812 in Vegas or LA. They are very hard to find. I have rented a 488 a couple of times and really enjoyed the experience. Need to find a V12 to rent now and then decide

14. joeracer

joeracer Karting

Oct 13, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Joe T
    I appreciate everyone's thoughts and input. I finally had the opportunity to drive an F12. It was fantastic - driving both cars was key. I've taken the plunge and will soon be the proud owner of a 2016 F12. It's being certified right now by the dealer so I should have the car in 10 days. To my eyes, it is the most amazing car - I've never seen one spec'd so extensively. I think the MSRP was in the neighborhood of $495,000. I probably paid too much for it but you only live once. Thanks to all!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

x z8, SeattleStew, Alexcle and 7 others like this.
  15. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Congratulations! Enjoy in excellent health!!

16. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Nice spec. You will enjoy it. I have the 812 and I don't miss my 488 spider.

17. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Congrats. And looking at this pics, I think it would be impossible to spend too much on that car. Wow!

x z8 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  18. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    Smart move
    Although the 488 is very sorted out the sound is Mr Monotony. Tiring on longer drives. Enjoy the F12-nice spec- and the sound is glorious and the V12 overcomes any other shortcomings the car may have and then some

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

19. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Congratulations!! She’s a beauty! While she’s there, have the dealer do an alignment and check the tires/ balance. You will be even happier with the car all dialed in. Bravo!! I bet you don’t sleep until its delivered!!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

20. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Congratulations, what a hot interior! The subtle metallic exterior is perfect offset.

Isn't it funny how you just *knew* once you drove it?

x z8 likes this.
  21. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Happy for you. The right car finds you.

Caeruleus11 and KenU like this.
  22. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Congratulations and welcome to the V-12 group!

Altoria F and Caeruleus11 like this.
  23. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    I recently had the chance to drive the F8 Spider. Since I drove my 812 to the appointment this means I drove them back to back. The f8 is very nice, but it's very quiet. The number one thing is has going for it is the nimble handling. Getting back into my 812 afterwards it was clear to me that my heart will always be with the V12 cars, even with their additional bulk.

x z8, ryalex, SeattleStew and 2 others like this.
  24. Romaihi

Romaihi Rookie

Apr 26, 2020
    Qatar
    Full Name:
    Hamad Al Romaihi
    Altoria F and ryalex like this.
  25. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Congrats on the F12! That spec is H O T. I may be biased, but love the exterior color. I too recently joined the V12 club, couldn't be happier. I drove the 458, 488, and recently an F8, certainly happy with the V12 choice.

x z8 and ryalex like this.