Intermittent Brake failure on 458 | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Intermittent Brake failure on 458

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by eberro, Jul 16, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TUTTSF

TUTTSF Karting

Sep 21, 2018
    So. Cal
  2. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    Damn! I’m sorry to hear that, hopefully it’s something small.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

3. Red Rocket

Red Rocket Karting

Aug 10, 2014
    has there been any reports of braking issues with other models?

4. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I recall someone maybe had braking issues with a 488 as well calling @graphicdisorder ?
    A real deal breaker in my book if I was about to purchase either model.
    I mean software gremlins in italian cars along with a super weak battery is something you can live with, but not brake issues, these should just work all day everyday without any excuses from Ferrari. Almost reminds me of the time when my ac compressor in the 458 started to burn one hot day. In the manual it says, use AC with modesty, I mean honestly, who get's away with this ********.

Edit: found the issue related to 488, not the same: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/avh-failure-resulting-in-locked-brakes.553009/#post-146411402

Red Rocket and tekaefixe like this.
  5. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    What’s the recommended life expectancy of the braking fluid? According to the owners’ manual, when should it be changed and the system bled? And regardless of what it says in the manual, how often do you guys change it?

Kind regards,

Nuno.

6. TUTTSF

TUTTSF Karting

Sep 21, 2018
    So. Cal
    Once a year or after every track day, some do it before and after a track day.
    It's easy do it yourself maintenance if you have the gear to do it

Red Rocket likes this.
  7. Red Rocket

Red Rocket Karting

Aug 10, 2014
    thanks for the reply; has this issue been fixed with the more recent models? Obviously the brakes are the most important part of the car - seems incredible that the data recorder wouldn't show a failure, but I'm not a car technician. Don't the modern systems show all that data?

8. JB 911

JB 911 Rookie

Nov 8, 2015
    This is very concerning. I like the 458 and am thinking about getting one, but this spooks me. A lot. Does anyone put this in perspective as in reported cases vs how many 458s are out there?

Red Rocket likes this.
  9. TUTTSF

TUTTSF Karting

Sep 21, 2018
    So. Cal
    Ferrari will not admit to anything when safety issues are involved. They will replace parts as needed but won't admit that it was a failure of that part. They replace said part as a precautionary move but wont say it failed.

I am tempted to go to a dealer as they might replace for free (doubt it) as it is a safety part (brake booster/valves) but might just stick me with a high dealer bill.

What is everyones opinion on my chances of dealer service covering the cost for a 2013 458 with 13k miles on it.

10. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    They do not flush fluid annually under Ferrari service. Maybe every two years at the soonest. If you do it yourself then its certainly up to you and just the simple cost of a couple bottles of fluid.

11. Red Rocket

Red Rocket Karting

Aug 10, 2014
    has anyone been able to determine if this is a software problem or just mechanical/hydraulic?

12. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Did you bleed the master cylinder?

13. TUTTSF

TUTTSF Karting

Sep 21, 2018
    So. Cal
    No, I did not see a writeup on how to bleed the master cylinder.

14. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    i did the brakes on my 360, changed pads and rotors. Then I changed the fluid and bled the system. I had a soft pedal until I bled the master cylinder. (I recall there was a small wrench supplied in the factory tool kit which fit the master cylinder bleed but.

I haven’t done the brakes on my 458. Obviously the system is different.
    There is a thread where someone has detailed the procedure. There is also the procedure of bleeding the Anti-lock system.

15. TUTTSF

TUTTSF Karting

Sep 21, 2018
    So. Cal
    Update

Just got word that there is a vacuum line that runs under the manifold to the brake booster that has melted probably due to the Fabspeed headers

I did ceramic coat the headers but it seems to be a little lacking

The shop suggests wrapping the new vacuum line with heat wrap

Part is 400 ish but my car is a spider so extra labor to remove convertible section and route the vacuum line

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. TUTTSF

TUTTSF Karting

Sep 21, 2018
    So. Cal
  17. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Can you clarify exactly where this "T" resides?

Regardless, it definitely looks in need of repair and hopefully you have found the issue.

18. TUTTSF

TUTTSF Karting

Sep 21, 2018
    So. Cal
  19. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    I'm always modest when I use the AC in my Spider. And I praise the Lord when cold air actually spews out on occasion.........

Ash Patel likes this.
  20. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Let us know if the vacuum line repppacement repair fixes the soft pedal.

or are you going to let the mechanics also take a look at your brake system and do the bleed

21. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Never had issue with ac on 458s here in AZ. Gallardo on the other hand... Hell I'm surprised when they work.

22. TUTTSF

TUTTSF Karting

Sep 21, 2018
    So. Cal
    He will do all of it to make it right

23. pizzadude

pizzadude Formula 3

Feb 20, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Not to derail but what the hell is it with Ferrari and AC?
    Almost every other car manufacturer can get it right.
    My 2001 Tacoma blows so cold you have to turn it down.
    I don’t consider it “charm” or a “quirk” when I’m driving a Ferrari and roasting.

24. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I understood where the issue is in the picture, but my question was rather specifically where is the "T" located under the manifold as you stated in post #165. Is it under the exhaust manifold? Intake manifold? Left or Right? Sorry if I wasn't clear last time.

25. TUTTSF

TUTTSF Karting

Sep 21, 2018
    So. Cal
    The tech said they run from the brake booster to the front of the engine against the firewall and attach to each plenum, not through any manifold so correction on that statement but that is what he told me originally