Why are Mercedes so successful? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Why are Mercedes so successful?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Igor Ound, Aug 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

?

1. Toto Wolff

36.9%
  2. Lewis Hamilton

24.6%
  3. They spend more than the others

43.1%
  4. Their cheats go unpunished

27.7%
  5. They don’t work from Italy

15.4%
  6. Not so much pressure on them winning

3.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Story is that the accountants at MB in the naughties worked out that Merc had been too well built.
    Consequently people were hanging on to them too long and not buying a new one every three years.
    This was exemplified to me when I was looking at a 1 owner original S class that the owner was replacing with a brand new ( 30 years later) S class.
    So our naughties Mercs cut costs, quality and were dogs. Electrics, fancy suspension, folding roofs, all of it.
    Great engines though.
    Anyway, like the F1 team a brand to be respected (naughties aside) but not one to love.
    As for Aston, well I wish it well , but no, not something to buy.
    In the end, like Enzo “my first love was Alfa Romeo” and now it is Ferrari.
    Which brings us back to this place in which we suffer.
    But there is hope...
    1) Charles is great
    2) My road car is great and better built than a Merc.

Ray Smith, jpalmito and SimCity3 like this.
  2. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    Agreed. Always said the double 0s were the last of the bunch. That supercharged V8 (S 55 & SL 55) was to die for.........

Unbelievable to say that the current crop of Ferraris are actually more reliable than the German bunch. Let’s hope the ramped up production numbers doesn’t screw that up.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Ray Smith and jpalmito like this.
  3. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
  4. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Because German do things the right way. My dad is German, mom French: I see the difference in the level of thoroughness on the German side. The French side, like the Italian side is more creative but in the end only results matter;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

william likes this.
  5. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Mercedes learned a lot of bad engineering practices when they owned Chrysler in the late 1998-2007,
    {Smaller screws, nuts, bolts, washers, fasteners, connectors, wires, ...} that they had to unlearn after divestment.

6. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  7. Adrian Thompson

Adrian Thompson Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Beverly Hills, Mi
    Full Name:
    Adrian Thompson
    I don't think the question should be why are Mercedes so successful, it should be why are the others under performing, and more importantly how do they react when things don't go right.

If Mercedes have a bad weekend they go away, put their heads down, study what did or din't work then look for fixes in a quiet efficient way. In other words 'Ready, Aim, Fire'. They then come back the next weekend with a miraculous turn around. If a certain popular team in Red has a bad weekend the resolution starts with the management and local press throwing everyone in the team under the bus, frequent firings and position changes, proclamations of better things to come then surprise when a newly reshuffled team with changes of key personnel can't suddenly make up for months or years of issues. In other words 'Fire, ready, aim'.

I wish people would stop trying to find conspiracies that 'prove' Mercedes are the favored ones and instead just concentrate on getting the basics right. It's especially difficult to claim Merc favoritism after last years behind closed doors engine issue with the FIA and Ferrari. Also on the 'rubber stamping' Mercedes V6 engines. The original proposed hybrid regs were for four cyl engines championed by Renault. It was Ferrari that said they'd quit if cylinder count wasn't increased as they had no interest in an inline 4cyl eninge. They called for V6's, they got V6's, don't whine because someone else did it better. Also I don't buy any lasting benefit from the original V6 rules. Honda came in a year late, having an that year to develop at will without restrictions, with a totally under performing engine. Over the last few years they've completely redesigned their engines and are now at least competitive.

8. Cavallino Nero Rampante

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    ST
    Rational and coherent thought is not appreciated around here, stop that!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Brilliant !!!

10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Yep, constant Mercedes bashing is in fashion on FChat !!

11. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Toto Wolff says he is considering whether to continue as Mercedes team principal after this season. - https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/53778066

Under Wolff, Mercedes have become the most successful F1 team in history but his contract runs out this year.

He said he was discussing his future with Ola Kallenius, chairman of Mercedes' parent company Daimler.

"Many factors make me want to stay but it takes its toll," Wolff said. "There is no reason not to continue. We will find out in which role."

Wolff is a 30% shareholder in the Mercedes F1 team as well as its boss, and that of the entire Mercedes motorsport programme.

He said: "We want to do the best for the team and continue to see the team prosper. I really enjoy the role and my plan is to continue but I never want to be in situation where you are becoming from very good to good."

Lewis Hamilton has said he wants clarity on Wolff's future before he commits to Mercedes beyond this year, but the Austrian said he did not believe his future would make a difference to the British six-time champion's decision.

"Lewis staying is the best thing he can do and it's what he wants to do," Wolff said.

12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I hope he stays; his work isn't done yet.

13. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Agree , destroying definitively the sport.

stavura and fil like this.
  14. DF1

He is preparing to leave. The family/COVID mention has me thinking he is looking to leave. He has accomplished alot and see's next year as more of the same. I would think the long break with lockdown opened his eyes to what he is missing in life. Professionally he is doing well and has achieved many goals. Time for a change.

SimCity3 likes this.
  15. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

That will be Mercedes' loss: he is a fantastic team principal (the best in the business at the moment) and a great motivator.

16. DF1

If he does leave, will be interesting to see who they appoint! Large boots to fill this!

william likes this.
  17. stavura

stavura Formula 3

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    Full Name:
    Harold Lounge
    Hopefully he ****s off!

Bas likes this.
  18. Adrian Thompson

Apr 28, 2004
    Beverly Hills, Mi
    Full Name:
    Adrian Thompson
    ?? Seriously. How is helping build and run the best team destroying the sport? He should be someone one every other team and team owner is looking to as the gold standard. He's destroyed nothing, he's raised the bar that others need to start reaching for rather than crying life isn't fair.

19. Adrian Thompson

Apr 28, 2004
    Beverly Hills, Mi
    Full Name:
    Adrian Thompson
    Actually how about Ferrari hiring both Toto and Lewis and watch how fast the glory days return.;)

Cavallino Nero Rampante and ktu like this.
  20. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    He is very good indeed.
    But he is nothing without the unprecedented financial investment Mercedes has spend in this hybrid era.
    And please don't tell me their financial and human investment is comparable to Ferrari.

Ray Smith likes this.
  21. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    No Camilleri should invest more wisely and stop to care only for stock markets.

22. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Mercedes doesn´t need him at all. They kicked out Ross Brawn (compared with him Toto is an amateur, both in the managerial and the cheater role) and the machine kept running anyway. They´re more dependant on the continuous flow of cash coming from Stuttgart, but with Kallenius and the new rules that may change, and it seems that the love affair with FIA and Liberty is also cooling down. So maybe Toto thinks that it´s better to leave now while they´re still at the top and concentrate on making money.

Warm weather racer. I didn´t expect better from that bastard anyway.

stavura, jpalmito, Bas and 1 other person like this.
  23. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
  24. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Andy Cowell imo

25. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    It is for the others to catch up and pass Mercedes.