Tach not working after changing plug wires | FerrariChat

Tach not working after changing plug wires

Discussion in '308/328' started by Johnv10, Aug 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Johnv10

Johnv10 Rookie

Jun 16, 2018
    Boerne Texas
    Full Name:
    John Hackett
    Well I tackled getting new wires and extenders on my 79 308. But when I went to start it it would barely run, seems like one bank was dead. I lifted the rear deck lid and took a look at the coils and when I went to check the black ground wire from the distributor, it pulled out and fell off from the copper connector. The engine died immediately. I noticed the manufacturer did not crimp the connector good enough. So I decided to take a look at the connector to the rear distributor, the one on the bottom. I was shocked to find it was disconnected as well. The dam thing pulled right out!
    So I then proceeded to disconnect the rest of the 2 ground wires terminals from the kit and put 4 new connectors on.
    Once I completed that it fired it right up! Smooth running but no tach.
    Maybe I bumped a wire loose while I was working around in there but I don't know.
    I am frustrated about the less than stellar crimp job on the wires that I received from the vendor, but I know now that mine aren't going to come off!
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance
    John

2. Jasonious

Jasonious Rookie

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Check the wiring to your coils. Could be suffering from the same crimping issue. The tach is driven off one of your coils. A bad connection will cause the tach to not work. Could be other reasons of course, but I would start there.

3. Johnv10

Johnv10 Rookie

Jun 16, 2018
    Boerne Texas
    Full Name:
    John Hackett
    Ok. I found that the brown tach wire slipped off of the stud on the coil when I was repairing the the coil wire issue. I put it back on the rear coil and the tach seems to be working at idle. I could'nt get it out of the garage to test last night.
    Does it matter which coil it it attached to??

4. Jasonious

Jasonious Rookie

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    It shouldn't matter. The Ferrari thinks it's two four cylinder engines joined at the hip. Your tach is a 4 cylinder tach, therefore either one should work provided both ignition systems are working as planned.

The fact that the cars have four cylinder tachs somewhat complicates single distributor conversions.....