Oil choice | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Oil choice

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by fanboy01, Jul 7, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    Yea; I will see what the bottle says when it gets here; The data claims complete protection.

Here is a link to the technical data

https://solutions.shell.com/us/products/Pennzoil_Platinum_Racing_5W_40__001G9865

2. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I just went through a similar circumstance on my 458. The dealer can no longer get the Pennzoil recommended by Ferrari (458). I ended up ordering the Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40, which is stated in my owners manual, as the dealer now uses another manufacturers oil which is not even mentioned in any Ferrari literature. I did this because of my anal nature, but truth be told, I'm sure that any good reputable synthetic oil would be fine (i.e. Mobile 1 for instance). Yes, even as a seasoned mechanical engineer having worked in the OEM automotive world for a couple decades I believe this is true. No, I am not a chemical engineer but I state this based on what I have seen in the engine development world.

PS - Filter changes are just as, if not more important than the oil change intervals.

Solid State likes this.
  3. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Anyone know what Oil the US dealers are using ?

4. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
  5. Rdwaggie

Rdwaggie Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 6, 2018
    mdrums likes this.
  6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Trust on Ferrari engineers? Why?
    There are so many other cut corners. There are lots of reasons why kne should stick to OE oil, but that one is not one of them. If that were the case, we would get better batteries and better brakes. Don't for one second think that cost is not also a factor in what oil is used. Remember the OE oils for 430's and 360's? That oil was better suited for a foam cannon than a sports car. I've seen this happen with Penzoil too.

Anyway, to answer the OP's question.
    Let's get one thing out of the way. More power? He would need to properly prove that. The only way would be if the oil caused less friction, and you would have to do a before and after dyno run to verify that. Sounds like unfounded hot air to me.

That oil is not a good choice as it has a very short life span. It is not made for a street car. It might have a terrific shear strength, but it degrades fast and leaves little protection. It is not formulated for stat stop situations either, so leaves little on the table in terms of cold start protection. If your car sits for a week, that oil will end up in the pan quickly. So stay away.

I like Castrol Edge for some simple reasons.
    It has a very high shear strength
    It is temperature stable
    It is high temp resistant
    I've yet to see it foam in a high performance dry sump application.

This is nothing but a personal preference, and techs both inside and outside Ferrari has agreed that this is a great alternative.

Better? Perhaps. I like it.

One thing I know is that if an oil starts to foam, oil pressure drops and so does its ability to lube.

But stay away from racing oils. Your car is not a race car.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

mdrums likes this.
  7. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Correct. But I’m guessing the “racing” moniker on the Pennzoil product is marketing, not application.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

mdrums and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  8. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Yes, I’m not a fan of the Shell oil, as it foams a lot. You can see it when you check the level with the engine running (like you’re supposed to). Foam can’t be good for the bearings and other surfaces that need protection. I use Redline.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Indeed. It has nothing to do with racing. It's a fairly traditional long life oil. But this is Ferrari, so they have to have some kind of relation to F1 etc. But you can be pretty damn sure this is not the oil in their F1 cars as much as they don't run on PZero Corsa tyres lol:D
    Redline is good for not foaming, but I'm not too keen on their cold viscosity and shear strength. But again, it's kinda personal.
    Marvel and Amsoil make nice oils that sort of bridges the gap between racing and street. The Amsoil Dominator is superb in cars with hydraulic lifters and aggressive cams.

10. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Royal Purple has some good numbers, too, but I have no idea how realistic they are. I have been skeptical of Amsoil numbers also, but there are those who swear by it. Cold doesn’t worry me much given my location in NorCal. Shear strength is important, though. Anyone run Mobil One?

11. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    #36 Il Co-Pilota, Aug 15, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    I actually meant Royal Purple, not Marvel. Was thinking of something else. Royal makes a good oil and independent tests have confirmed this.
    One thing about the Amsoil that makes me say what I say is this. I have seen what it does different. I have seen high strung engines with lifters that were really hard to pump up, run smooth on Amsoil due to their stability in viscosity. Same goes for Driven. I'm sure everyone has some "snakeoil" but I've seen some oils perform really well in the real world. I cannot stand the whole Amsoil business model(Amway), but it seems to be a good oil.

Royal Purple XPR is definitely a good candidate for a high performance oil. It will need to be changed once per year, but that's manageable. It's a very popular oil not only with a lot of track day guys, but also a big hit with the offshore guys running big power, with extreme cylinder pressures. If it works there, it usually works everywhere else. Few things put a load on engine internals and oil like a pair of 1500 hp mills in an Outerlimits.

Need4Spd likes this.
  12. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I used Mobil 1 religiously in other vehicles until the formula changed. I believe it was the base itself went cheap so it was no better than any other. Do not know what it is like now as I never went back.

Need4Spd likes this.
  13. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I pretty much use Motul exclusively over here these days.

300V is great for motorcycles (super smooth shifting), but unless you are planning on changing your oil every 2500-3000 miles, I probably wouldn't use it too much on a car motor. I have run it in cars before, however. On my motorcycle, I use 300V and really love it - but I also change it every 1250 to 1500 miles. On my SUV and truck, I run Motul 8100 Eco-lite.

For the Ferrari, you might want to check into their 8100 X-Cess oil, which is the oil I would use for like a 458 or 488. Also, Motul has an excellent technical support line. If you have questions, give them a call and they can definitely steer you the right way.

Ray

action-ant likes this.