Brake rotor and pad replacement | FerrariChat

Brake rotor and pad replacement

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Mafiaboy1975, Aug 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mafiaboy1975

Mafiaboy1975 Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2019
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mick
    So this evening my new pads arrived and earlier in the week my front rotors.

Old one were cheese graters from tracking.

It’s an easy DIY and took all of 2 hours on my own jacking each wheel up then down.

Open the brake fluid cap ( watch it as you press the pistons back the fluid level will rise remove excess.)
    Remove the wheel
    Knock through caliper pins with punch
    Remove wires and clips
    For the front remove the caliper bolt 30nm
    Press back pads and wiggle out
    Use a brake caliper tool they dirt cheap.
    Then for the front rotors remove the small 13mm bolt and 12mm pin 15nm and you can jimmy the rotor out without removing the caliper.

Fit new rotors use wheel bolts to help guide you when you tighten up bolt and pin per nm I listed above.
    Fit new pads
    Put back caliper bolt
    Put back pins and wires and clip
    Put back wheel

Done... go drink a beer marvel at your work.

Smile as you did not have to pay Ferrari prices and you had two hours away from zoom and teams meetings.

Now to bed the pads and new rotors tomorrow morning

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. ToddMick

ToddMick Karting

Sep 30, 2019
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Todd M
    Good job! Cheers to a job well done.

Did you change the brake wear sensors?

I cannot find where to purchase them and I’m worried about damaging mine when I change the pads and rotors (from CCB to steel/iron)

3. Mhoram

Mhoram Karting

Apr 15, 2009
    Where are you sourcing iron rotors and pads?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

4. cali2012

cali2012 Karting

Apr 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Giulio
    Finally another DIY! awesome job and thank you for sharing! it is so hard to find how to do things yourself on the California!!

Mafiaboy1975 likes this.
  5. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Great write up, thanks. What model year do you have and do you think it matters?

6. ToddMick

ToddMick Karting

Sep 30, 2019
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Todd M
    Sending GiroDisc my rotors to have them measured and made. Once that is done, I can only assume they will offer them from their site for the same price as the 458. They have the pads, too.

7. Mafiaboy1975

Aug 10, 2019
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mick
    On the rear I used the old ones as they had not yet touched the rotor. And so have a spare set for if I ever order Pagid pads. On the fronts I had to replace them and used the set that came with the Brembo. They were toast from the heat and very brittle.

I have not seen where to get a separate set, my rears came out fairly easy just by using a long nose pliers.

I suspect the may be generic worth asking around. I’ll post a pic a bit later so you can see how they look exactly.

ToddMick likes this.
  8. Mafiaboy1975

Aug 10, 2019
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mick
    It’s a California T, The brakes are the same on all 3 variant models I believe.

Bill Phillips likes this.
  9. Mafiaboy1975

Aug 10, 2019
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mick
    Here are pics. The blue background is for the Ferrari. The white is off a eBay pic. It looks like they are generic but that the plug differs. If you cannot find an exact match I’d buy generic Brembo ones and the swap out the plug and reuse the original plug. It should be easy to press the pins out and connect to new wires.

Or you could cut the original sensor wire wire and interpose a new male plug that fits the generic female and that way you sorted going forward.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

ToddMick likes this.
  10. ToddMick

ToddMick Karting

Sep 30, 2019
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Todd M
    Thanks for sharing! Like where your head is at and they do look pretty much the same. Why do I have the feeling that it would be easier to cut the male plug off the car and put a new one on?

You also said you were able to remove the rotor without removing the caliper (did I get that right)? Suppose the rotor was in good shape, could you do it this way without damaging it? You said you were replacing them anyway so any nicks wouldn't have really mattered.

11. Mafiaboy1975

Aug 10, 2019
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mick
    Yup you take the pads out and there is enough space to move the rotor off. The hub is a pentagon shape . All you do is loosen bolts and slight turn the rotor ( you will see at the rear it has cut outs) slip that past the point of a the hub at the edge of the pentagon Image Unavailable, Please Login and it off. It come of really easy but you must remove the pads.

12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Who makes steel rotors for the Cali? The 458 set will not fit. Different front rotor offset

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Ferrari does not sell sensors separately. All part of making it difficult tobusexaftermarket pads.

There's an easy fix if you want to use wear indicators with Pagid pads. You can use either sensors for a Corvette with CCM rotors or for a Porsche. The part that clips into the pad is the same.
    You will need to do a bit of diy, but it's easy.
    Remove the old triggered sensor. Cut the sensor cable 9.5 inches down and strip half inch off the two wires with the connector on.
    Cut the new sensor cable 10 inches down and strip the wires half inch on the part with the sensors.
    Slide a 1 inch piece of thin shrink tubing over each wire on either the sensor part or connector part. Also slide a 2 inch piece of shrink tubing over, that fits around both wires.
    Now solder the wires together. It does not matter which goes to which as there's no negative or positive.
    Shrink wrap each solder to isolate them from each other and then shrink both with the large piece to make it nice and neat.

You now have a new sensor wire. Takes less than 5 min all in all

14. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Be careful removing the disc with the caliper attached. It is very easy to nick it. Just remove the two caliper bolts and hang the caliper off to the side with a strap or cable tie. Just remember to torque the bolts to 100nm when reinstalling.
    Easy.

Mafiaboy1975 and Bill Phillips like this.
  15. cali2012

cali2012 Karting

Apr 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Giulio
    nice! thank you for the info Co-pilota

16. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    guys, isn't it a bit dangerous to DIY the brakes? This is not something to be learned by trial and error.

i'd just pay Ferrari service to do it for me.

17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Not if you know what you are doing. Also, while one might assume these brakes are advanced and complicated, they are in fact easier to work on than most brakes in your average street car.
    Take the calipers used on a Pista or 488 for example. The pads are clicked into place. It is as easy and foolproof as it gets. The older style calipers with the bolt and two pins are easy too. But ss with anything else related to this, get a helping hand the first time you do it. Few jobs on the car is as easy, so as long as you have a bit of basic knowledge it is fine.

Changing discs is as easy as removing a wheel. Not much else to say.

I can understand why it might seem daunting if one does not come from a car enthusiast background, but for those of us whom grew up around cars and motorsport it is incredibly simple. Trust me, you do not have to be a Ferrari master tech to change pads on Brembo 6 piston calipers. In fact, this makes an oil change seem difficult.

If you don't feel comfortable doing it, you obviously shouldn't do it.

But for those with the most basic mechanical skills and track rats, it is a perfectly safe and easy task.

I will advise against flushing and bleeding if you don't know what you are doing. That can cause a very dangerous situation if done wrong.
    But these discs and pads are simple. They are either in or they are not in. There is no middle ground really. And if you can't set a torque wrench, you shouldn't go anywhere near a car with any kind of tool.

ToddMick likes this.
  18. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    How do you test the changes? Do a brake driving 250 kmh and spin and crash?

19. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Nah, not 250. When I did it on the Pista 2 months ago, it was more like 280 actually.
    Do you actually know what you're talking about, or are you just making assumptions? Here's a bit of news for you. I have worked with race teams and I have been properly trained. I know what I'm doing. If you cannot comprehend why this can be done safely if you have some basic knowledge and a bit of assistance from someone who can guide you, that's on you.

20. ToddMick

ToddMick Karting

Sep 30, 2019
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Todd M
    As a home mechanic, I’ve changed more pads and rotors on more cars that I can count. The key thing is to put it back exactly like you found it. If you end up with an extra bolt or screw STOP. It isn’t too hard with some basic reading or grab a book that will walk you through it.

Mafiaboy1975 likes this.