Loud speaker wiring | FerrariChat

Loud speaker wiring

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by peajay, Nov 15, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'm installing a new CD radio in my 1987 328, according to the diagram with the radio each speaker should have a solid color wire and the second the same color with a stripe, usual in my experience. In the 328 wiring diagram I have it shows the striped and solid colors as being different ? It also only shows 3 speakers ar rather it shows three on the diagram but there are two woofers with the same number. Anyone figured this out in the past? I am not keen on pulling of the door covers to check the leads on the speakers.

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    There are a total of four speakers. Two tweeters in the dash, and two mid woofers in the doors. I believe the tweeter and woofer are wired together, not seperately to the amp. That is, the amp only has two outputs, one for each pairing of speakers. I would go ahead and pull the door panels off, since the mid woofers REALLY suck in sound quality. You can make a big improvement by doing what several 328 owners here on Chat have done, and replace them with any quality two way coaxial 6.5" speaker. You will get much better bass response, and the additional tweeter in the door will much improve the treble response. BTW, the door mid woofer does receive a "full range" signal. Apparently , the tweeter, just has a "high pass" filter on it...not very sophisticated....