A Good Watch For a $20k Budget | FerrariChat

A Good Watch For a $20k Budget

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by Shark01, Aug 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Thanks to the "what watch are you wearing today" thread, I'm thinking of making 2021 the year I put all my play money for the year toward a watch. Maybe I can string together a little more, but not much more.

I currently own a 1993 DateJust, dual metallic roman numeral with white pyramid dial, its been a real good starter watch.

I'm kind of limited in taste, my current favorites are AP ROO, PP Nautilus (not that I can afford it), and a Daytona. I also secretly love Yachtmaster IIs, it's just really garish. I like more elegant watches, don't like excessively busy ones, skeletons, etc.

My preference is a full gold watch, but other than a sub here and there nothing else I like is close to my budget....A used watch is preferred, hopefully something from the past 10 years.

Also, are automatic considered as good as a manual?

Thanks

2. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    What about a Breguet Type XXI?

[​IMG]

IloveGT likes this.
  3. poljav

poljav F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Pol J.
    This an open ended question, I'd say narrow your picks down to style and material, what you want the watch to do? Then pick 6-8, from there down to 3-4 Once you picked the top 1-3, do a deep dive on each and/or get feed back from our resident experts here. As always, buy what you like.

I prefer manual, just because I like being involved with the watch.

For dress watches. 8 months ago I would have said look at F.P Journe but they're way above $20K now. Look at some A. Lange & Sohne. Good luck.

4. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
  5. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    Why not a 36mm Day/ Date AKA president? The Daytona is a easy choice as well. Fun fact, Rolex uses solid gold not plated. 3.5 ounces of gold in a 36mm President. Gold closed today at around $2k per ounce. There are older Presidents on ebay for the cost of their gold.

6. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Thanks for the comments....

Did like the look of Breguet, understand they are highly regarded.....found a full gold (including bracelet) Royal Marine that was amazing good looking, but it was $47k.

I need to go look at some IWCs

The Rolex President can be had in my budget easy....but how to say this delicately....has an old man vibe.

I'm hoping gold prices will go down by the end of 2021...

7. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    A new or newer Rolex won't have more than a 1/3 of its value in gold, if that. You're primarily paying for the name.

The problem with a gold bracelet is that pretty much all brands that offer something with a gold bracelet under 20k (except for Rolex) won't hold value. So you're better off buying something with a strap.

desmomini likes this.
  8. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    The problem with myself and straps (assume you are talking leather or rubber) is sweat just ruining them quickly.

9. flat_plane_eddie

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    The good thing about rubber is that it's fairly cheap to replace. Leather not as cheap but still fairly so. I would think rubber would hold up well if you wash it ever so often.

10. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Two-tone Daytona maybe? Not full gold but within budget.

11. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    Personally for me it's the A Lane Sohne . They are brilliantly finished.

12. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I didn't think they were that affordable. I just checked and was amazed at what was for sale.

13. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    Many on ebay that have languished for months. I'm sure they can be had for significantly under asking.

14. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Damn you for bringing that up! lol

15. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

42mm audemars piguet

16. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    Lots of choices for 20K, do you want diver or dress? You can get a PP Aquanaut or Calatrava msrp, or a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms, or a Royal Oak, or Vacheron Overseas etc. etc..... or be ballsy and go vintage

17. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Just a heads up, you can't get an Aquanaut at MSRP without divine intervention, Calatrava 5227 MSRP is $36K, The Royal Oak is also pretty tough to get at MSRP (which is $24K)

18. flat_plane_eddie

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    For up to 20k I recommend a used A. Lange & Söhne like the Saxonia or 1815.

19. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I would buy a used steel / ceramic or rubber AP Offshore for all around use. I have one in steel and rose gold that I really enjoy.
    Best , Kirk.

ronfrohock likes this.
  20. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    So I'm seeing a couple of full gold PPs (5036 & 5037) that are like $27k used. Are there any issues with these models? I'm not sure I care about the diamonds but like the look of the watch
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Stentboy and Island Time like this.
  22. Jonny English

Jonny English Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2017
    Poole, Dorset
    Full Name:
    Jon
  23. thphon

thphon Rookie

Oct 9, 2019
    Full Name:
    Leonardo Arias
    I get from what you are saying that you prefer time only watches, right? For that kind of money I would go with a A Lange & Sohne, if you like more dressy watches this is as good as it gets and I am factoring in Patek Philippe.
    I'm talking about used watches, for new ones the options are much more limited. Check out 1815 and Saxonia, they are very subtle but superb quality and what to say when you see the movement on the back!
    Automatics command a premium over manuals, everything else equal. The advantage of manuals is that you can get to appreciate the finishing of the whole movement while with automatics the rotor covers most of it. There are some with micro rotor but the only one that pops to me head right now would be a Saxonia Langematik.
    Enjoy the search as much as owning it afterwards, whatever it is you end up choosing!

24. Drip_cassanova

Jan 5, 2020
    Really love the yellow gold Reverso grande date from jlc also has a 8 day power reserve and open caseback Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimpo1, Roman456 and Boomhauer like this.