Carbon Ceramic Pad Thickness | FerrariChat

Carbon Ceramic Pad Thickness

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Bill Phillips, Aug 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I have a 2013 Cali-30. Does anyone know the thickness dimension on a new set of carbon ceramic pads? Mine still look pretty good (as they certainly should at 15k miles) but I’d like to be able to measure them for an accurate comparison so I can document the percentage remaining over time.

2. ToddMick

ToddMick Karting

Sep 30, 2019
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Todd M
    Some folks say you have to do it by weight and remove them. I think the factory weight is around 8lbs and at something like 5lbs they are gone. Someone else will probably have a better answer.

Bill Phillips likes this.
  3. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    It’s the rotors that are weighed, I believe.

4. davidtopp

davidtopp Karting

Jun 7, 2019
    UAE
    Full Name:
    David Topp
    I have the same car, year and mileage as yours and get a report from servicing stating specifically what my percentage break pad wear is. I guess over time you'll have enough empirical data to know how your pad wear equates to your driving style and how many miles you have left in them without ever taking the wheel off.
    Just a thought anyway.

5. Mafiaboy1975

Mafiaboy1975 Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2019
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mick
    Fronts are 11mm rears 9mm of pad thickness. Just put sets on last night.

To have a proper look you have to remove the pads. I had irregular wear on the fronts due to rough rotors. At the Centre they looked good at the outer edge the were about to break the sensors and cause the light to come on. I’d say a good 4mm difference between outer and inner edge.

Check out my post if you ever want to replace them. I did pads front and rear and front rotors all in under two hours and had to jack the car up and down 4 times at each wheel.

Don’t ever pay someone just order pads online and have a beer and do your brakes. It’s dirt easy.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

6. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Thanks, I bought mine ten months ago from Ferrari of Newport Beach and the annual service had just been completed. It didn’t show break wear data but I’ll get that done at the next one, in two months.

7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    If you're not using the pad wear indicators, know that OE pads are done when 3mm remains.
    Get Pagid RSC1 pads instead. You can wear them 2mm further and do it safter. If you overshoot the wear of your OE pads, they will tear up the rotors. Pagid uses a proprietary method of affixing their material with both an adhesive but also welded in rivets that are soft enough to be worn away.

As far as the disc weight and computer algorithm goes for wear? Ask anyone who claim that BS to contact Brembo for verification. There's nothing special about seeing if a Brembo disc is worn. It's just a CCM rotor. If it is smooth and shiny, it is fine. If it is rough and sometimes even pitted, it is worn out. When they say "Oh computer says it's worn out, you need new discs" but you're looking at four rotors looking as smooth and nice as the day you picked up the car, ask them to reset and leave the discs alone.
    There are many ways to make a bit of extra money. BMW has started this dubious practice too.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Mafiaboy1975 and Bill Phillips like this.