Rookie Testarossa Questions | FerrariChat

Rookie Testarossa Questions

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by jaytheferrariguy, Aug 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jaytheferrariguy

Aug 11, 2020
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    Hey guys! Just got my first Testarossa (1988) and I must say that I LOVE it, however, a few quick questions that are rolling around my head.

First, is there a good book or site that can tell you what year specific additional equipment your car would have had? Mine doesn't have the tool kit or manual and i wanted to get the correct ones.

Second, Is the gated shifter supposed to be a little tight when cold and then as it heats up it smooths out? it shifts well, but it just feels a little more...."tough" to shift when cold...

Third, the stock exhaust sounds bad... is Tubi or Capristo the better options if I'm only changing out the muffler?

Lastly, the drivers seat lower outside leg "edge pad" is loose from years of people sliding in and out, anyway to tighten it up?

Thanks!!

Jay

2. fridolin_pt

fridolin_pt Karting

Mar 25, 2008
    Germany NRW
    Full Name:
    Fritz
    Yes, that´s Classic Ferrari and the second usually is the most rigid. Make sure to warm it carefully before higher revs and faster shifts. Ever practiced double-declutching? Good reason to learn it.
    Capristo is a good choice if you are considering sound and not only noise.
    Just my experience.

jaytheferrariguy likes this.
  3. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    where in Wisconsin are you?

4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I would not do

hello jay

thanks for filling out your profile here :) and a pretty welcome to the flat 12 community. you have a US model with cat or a euro model without cat? photo would be great

it is not normal but common those hard shifting as long as the engine is cold. a rigth adjustment to the gear linkage ( may be also in the gearbox ) may help.

I prefer capristo exhaust

when you can do some by yourself tak eout the seat and look how the system works and get an idea how to fix

your car has an upgraded diff? otherwise I suggest to do this soon. you may read here a lot of diff failures and the question is not IF it will break, the question is WHEN

enjoy the car and here with this community here you mostly will get help when needd

5. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Why not double clutching Romano?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    not good for the synchros
    slowly upshifting when cold is better.

when you have a gearbox without synchros you have to double clutch by shifting down with gas also between the clutching and when shifting up without gas to slow down the shaft in the gear box. but with synchros no need. only when upshifting you may take a little more time but the gearbox oil still is not warm and the shaft just will slow down. and when downshifting you only go back to 2nd, 1st you only put in after a stop.

nevertheless nothing can happen when you do double clutch except you accelerate to fast when the clutch still is no engaged. most people meanwhile can not drive right cars without automatic :(

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  7. fridolin_pt

fridolin_pt Karting

Mar 25, 2008
    Germany NRW
    Full Name:
    Fritz
    No technical reason for that

8. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    Congrats on your car. 88 here as well.

If you get a chance to look under the car, note where the shifter shaft goes into the transmission. There is a rubber insulator there called a silentbloc. It’s designed so you don’t get vibrations into the cabin but they can rot out over time or with oil leaks and cause a difficult shift. I had no idea how hard my car was to shift until I changed them. The process to adjust shifters is time consuming but rewarding.

Lots of reading up on this forum is Testarossa gold. I’d encourage you to really get to know your car. If you’ve got a competent mechanic or are one yourself, there’s little you can’t tackle on these cars. They were well built and remain a pleasure to own. The differential is sort of a big deal and discussion these days. Even if it’s not in your 6-month plans, I’d recommend researching and maybe even ordering the parts to have on hand. It’s not above a well-equipped DIY’er but it is more involved than a clutch job or basic service.

Welcome aboard, this forum is the reason I felt comfortable buying my car. As another 88 owner, I have a Facebook page on my ownership experience and services. @bellarosa2019 if you’re interested. I upload all of my 3D print files and repair logs there.

Cassidy

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. marknkidz

marknkidz Formula 3

Oct 7, 2004
    so cal
    Full Name:
    mark
    jay... Congrats!! One piece of advice, DONT jack up car from one point of car.. the frame is very flexible and YOU WILL crack the rear glass!! ask me how i know!! UGH. 2 floor jacks when jacking it up.. both at same time and slow..

enjoy!!!

10. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Jay, I have owned 4 Tr's, one 800hp Twin Turbo and not one differential failure. If you have a bunch of cash laying around then
    do it I guess but I can think of other things to spend it on. Just don't drag race the car and treat it like a manual shift mustang
    and I bet you will be happy. Capristo is my current and favorite over Tubi.

11. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Never noticed any improvement but wears the linkage out twice as fast.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  12. jaytheferrariguy

Aug 11, 2020
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    Thanks for all the info my new friends!! my ears are wide open!

I definitely do NOT race it or hammer on it until it is nice and Hot. That is one thing that i have read everywhere and it makes a ton of sense. When it warm, it runs great! I think i am still getting used to the shifting, absolutely not like the newer cars these days but i love it!

Anyone have a Capristo or Tubi Muffler around for sale?

one more Question: I installed a nice battery tender, but i have to leave the hood open when plugged in so the extension cord doesn't get pinched, any hurt if the hood is open all of the time?

Thanks!!!

13. jaytheferrariguy

Aug 11, 2020
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey

Thanks!!

its a US with Cats...

and as far as the diff, i think its just the stock Diff...

thanks!

14. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    First, is there a good book or site that can tell you what year specific additional equipment your car would have had? Mine doesn't have the tool kit or manual and i wanted to get the correct ones.
    Sad that these items don't stay with the car but their value motivates some owners to separate at time of sale :mad:. You can buy new/reproduction tool kits but they will differ (finish and/or markings) slightly from original. If you are also missing the jack bag & contents those are available used. Expect to pay $$ for either. eBay typically has both but there are other sources. If you want correct kits do your research as there are variations between model years and other F-cars, often mis-advertised as "correct" or "original for Testarossa". As for owners manuals Ferrari uses catalog numbers for their manuals. My 1988 was built in April 1988 and came with owners manual catalog # 480/87. There was typically a US and European manual for each year, and some other markets had an addendum or complete book. Used and reproductions are available. If you want the full set that came with the car new you would also need (for US model, and these numbers are for my build date): 1988 Models Testarossa Owner’s Warranty and Service Book (cat. N. 483/87 – n. 500) / Sale and Service Organization booklet (cat. N. 510/88 – 3500 – ed. aprile 1988) / Testarossa Consumer Information booklet (cat. 358/85) / California Emission Control System Warranty Statement (cat. 484/87 – N. 800) **if car was originally sold in CA**/ Goodyear Highway Tire Adjustment Policy (M2000 5/84). Used full manual sets with leather binder are often ~ $800 - 1K.

Here's a good reference for your tools: https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v12/testarossa-group/testarossa-1990/tool-kit.html. Keep this site handy as a parts reference/source, their parts are pretty competitive but shop around for anything you buy as prices can vary wildly. As these cars age reproduction parts are starting to creep onto the market--do your due diligence before parting with $. The cross reference thread at the top of this forum can save you $$ on some items.

Second, Is the gated shifter supposed to be a little tight when cold and then as it heats up it smooths out? it shifts well, but it just feels a little more...."tough" to shift when cold...
    Normal, others have covered this well.

Third, the stock exhaust sounds bad... is Tubi or Capristo the better options if I'm only changing out the muffler?
    I have a Tubi with cat delete pipes--pre-cats are installed and not gutted. Sounds good, not overly loud or annoying. You'll get as many different opinions as responders on a question like that, to each his own. There are plenty of You Tube videos that may help, but finding other local owners is better so you can hear in person (sound on a video can be very mis-leading).

Lastly, the drivers seat lower outside leg "edge pad" is loose from years of people sliding in and out, anyway to tighten it up?
    Absolutely. The seat is attached to the floor with four allen-head screws. Remove the seat (remember to unsnap the inner seat belt "strap"). The leg bolsters are secured with small Phillips screws that can come loose over time. Also the actual bolster is a leather/foam covered sheet of aluminium--many are bent over time and become wider/flatter--if you can't easily reach down and grab the parking brake handle that is what happened. Very easy to fix. While out tighten up everything else and treat your leather--I use/recommend Leatherique products.

Congratulations on your purchase, let us know what you need and always feel free to CONTRIBUTE as you learn.

15. jaytheferrariguy

Aug 11, 2020
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey

Thanks so much for all of this great info!!

16. jaytheferrariguy

Aug 11, 2020
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey

Tim,

Does the Cat Delete pipes make the exhaust smell? I've heard that it can do that....

Also, does it turn on the check engine light?

Thanks!!

Jay

17. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Yes- I didn’t like it myself.

18. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I don't have any exhaust smell but again my pre-cats are in-tact and I suspect capturing a lot of that. You don't have a Check Engine Light on your 1988 so no worries there.

19. jaytheferrariguy

Aug 11, 2020
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    Just outside of Milwaukee! :)

20. Clyde Romero

Clyde Romero Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    I own a 512 TR 1993 with 110K on it
    the transmission has never given me any issues if you drive the car correctly
    double clutching works
    let the car warm up before you try 2nd gear
    expect to replace the radiators they leak at the bottom
    install relays to the fuse board to keep the high amp start up for the fans away from the board

good luck with your car

21. 355 Giallo gtb

355 Giallo gtb Karting

Mar 14, 2015
    California
    Full Name:
    Rob p.
    i have an extra set of capistro cat bypass that will really change your sound to very aggresive. i then put on a full capistro exhaust. less agressive where i live they will cite you with to loud of exhaust.
    $600 for the pair including shipping. let me know if interested.
    rob

22. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    This is the first time I heard of this, interesting. What is your opinion about rev matching then? I was taught and have always done both DC and rev match when the car is not yet up to operating temperature on all manual transmission cars so this is a real revelation to me. Thank you.

23. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    both shafts in the gearbox ( so input and output shaft ) may have the same revs when shifting without synchros
    some decades ago when there still has been gearboxes without synchros you often hear when someone was shifting. this you also can hear today sometimes when they not push the clutch completly.
    I always say then shifting may be not a secret - everyone may hear it :)

MOSS likes this.
  24. dkyranakis

dkyranakis Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2013
    Centreville, DE
    Full Name:
    Demetri Kyranakis
    My Testarossa has the crack in rear window also. Was there when I bought it In 14. Thinking of fixing it at some point. Anyone have a feel for difficulty or price on this? Thx.

25. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    mine is broken since I bought it in 2005 but I don´t care about this. may be next time engine out for servioce I will replace it? still have a new one here since 12 years

dkyranakis likes this.