F12 Paint Bubbling | Page 14 | FerrariChat

F12 Paint Bubbling

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by acadmd, Mar 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. popsmuf

popsmuf Karting

Jun 20, 2006
    SoCal
    I’m looking into jumping into a F12. Quick question on the paint bubbling

In addition to the rear mesh grills, would the front hood grill also theoretically have this issue? It would also be metal on aluminum contact there correct? Anyone have experience on the hood grill?

2. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    theoretically it could but i believe that the engine heat keeps the moisture away and that is the electrolyte that causes the corrosion to start. i have not heard of any problems with the hood.

Adamas likes this.
  3. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    actually their official policy is only repair under original 3 year factory warranty or extended warranty. you could purchase 1 year extended warranty for 5500 i think and they would then cover it.

4. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Yup, I am aware. Just seems they should do the right thing for a problem that is well known and plagued many cars.

5. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    if you purchased from an authorized Ferrari dealer make them fix it. if it was 3rd party i'm afraid you'll have to write a letter to corporate HQ and try to get them to take care of it. if you have previous history of ferrari ownership it may help.

or spend the 5500 to buy the extended warranty.

good luck sir!

6. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Dropping mine off today. They agreed to warranty repair. It has CPO/extended power warranty until '23. Before buying, I noted that the CPO brochure says it offers at least 1 year coverage for bodywork.

of2worlds likes this.
  7. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I just realized that yours took 6 whole weeks to get back?

8. jr-f12-15

jr-f12-15 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2020
    Tomball, TX
    Full Name:
    John Refalo
    Yes, the shop was very busy. Just a couple local Ferrari approved body shops in the area that are allowed to do warranty work. I was told that they would not warranty it if anyone else has worked on it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using FerrariChat.com mobile app

ryalex likes this.
  9. Jljr

Jljr Rookie

Feb 25, 2018
    Miami Beach
    Very interesting and informative discussion; hopefully all reported issues will be addressed and Ferrari will modify in future production.

I’m curious as to occurrence of same problem in previous models as well as in 812 SF where mesh inserts utilized. There are no other reports in other models/years mentioned in this thread.

10. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Yeah it seems like they have a designated shop in each region and that's it. Supposed to pick up mine today, mercifully it was only 8 days.

11. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    My hood on the front of my F12 bubbled up.

I am not sure it is the paint, I thought it was the Aluminum underneath???

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Back today, it was delayed because they redid some pieces of clearbra for me too, which I appreciate. It looks like they redid the whole rear fender and roof, at least the one side. Can't tell if they blended it at the crease on the roof. It looks 4" deep.

Basically perfect except one thing I noted with my polarized sunglasses - the fuel filler door looks original and the new paint seems to have slightly more silver flake in it than the fuel door. Unless you were looking specifically for it I doubt anyone would notice.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Much gratitude for Exoticar for the fantastic work and my bro at Ferrari of LV for arranging the warranty coverage from FNA.

colonels and jr-f12-15 like this.
  13. RDItalian

RDItalian Rookie

Jun 17, 2019
    Nor. Cal - Sacramento
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    A while back someone mentioned on this forum there was a survey conducted to try and track what model years were affected, colors, etc. anyone have a link to this survey or general results?

14. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    mine is a 2016 and was affected and they stopped making F12 in 2017. the older models have longer exposure to galvanic corrosion so they show them more often. i believe all years have susceptibility.

15. ffanl

ffanl Rookie

Apr 22, 2017
    poland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The 2014 f12 with 20k km mileage that interests me has been repainted twice :) First time in Scuderia Praha dealership, second time in Maranello, Ferrari did a great job, because it happened for the third time haha. This is a f*cking unfunny joke.......

16. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    amazing but not absurd
    they never issued recall on parts so the black mesh is still steel and the nuts/bolts used are still the same and possibly the source of the electron transfer.
    the paint shop must focus on getting ALL the corrosion off the metal or else it will continue to bubble. this was the only Ferrari specified fix.
    the paint shop should also focus on getting a thick enough barrier of paint to separate the steel and aluminum parts from touching. not mandated by Ferrari.
    the paint shop should lower the steel mesh so it doesn't run against the lip of the aluminum body panel edges. not mandated by Ferrari.

my car had to be re-painted 2x within 6 months with the second time using the last 2 recommendations as well.

17. ffanl

ffanl Rookie

Apr 22, 2017
    poland
    Full Name:
    Mark

I really aprecieate your answer @colonels. It would be so easy if somebody produced a "plug & play" aluminium mesh... I don't thnik that tinker repairs/stopgap are not best solution, but I'm afraid of third job which will be done in dealership. I have to show them your and other users posts otherwise it will come out the same.

18. Danh89

Danh89 Rookie

Jan 11, 2020
    I have a ‘13 F12 which I can’t see this problem has affected as of yet.

I have however suffered a minor issue with accidentally releasing the auto handbrake when getting out thinking I had put it on and the car kind of rolled into my partners car... o_O so it is in the garage and needs rear bumper removing to re-position the exhaust tips properly and some minor paintwork.

would people recommend whilst this is happening that I precautionary install the spacers anyway?

thanks

19. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    to get to the mesh inserts is a PITA and requires removing a great deal of the trunk and parcel shelf interior i believe. there was an individual that did it himself and posted images then had to sell his F12. i would message him.

rockitman likes this.
  20. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
  21. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I blue taped my vents to minimize Internal vent overspray leaving 1/8” Open gap between mesh and body panel vent outer edge. Precisely sprayed the vent perimeter and sopped up excess. You can’t even see it. Makes me sleep better at night. https://www.wd40.com/products/white-lithium-grease/

22. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #347 Wheels1, Dec 8, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
    There was nothing on my car 2 months ago and now this. Dealer said, because the car is 4 and 3/4 years old and the paint warranty is 4 year they would not cover it, they said the extended warranty does not cover this.
    After hearing this from the service dept. I rang them back and explained I only bought the car in July and I have spent well over a quarter of million pounds with them in the last year and they agreed to look at it as a good will gesture!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

colonels likes this.
  23. DRYHOLE

DRYHOLE Karting

Jul 12, 2004
    Dallas + Seaside, Fl
    Full Name:
    Dryhole
    What month and year was your car produced?

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Sorry to see that; that’s annoying.

Does the dealer not have an obligation under the Consumer Rights Act, as they are required to repair etc any fault that occurs within 6 months of purchase?

Whilst the “fault” may not have been obvious when you purchased it, it is probably reasonable to assume it was already corroding when you bought it; and I believe it is the sellers responsibility to prove otherwise, not for you to prove.

Not sure on your relationship with the dealer but a “reminder” / “kicking” as appropriate of the above, never mind any warranty, might be in order.

Trust it’s sorted soon as it’s a lovely looking car!

Wheels1 likes this.
  25. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    January 2016 Mark