430 - Ferrari F430 vs F8 Tributo Comparison Test | FerrariChat

430 Ferrari F430 vs F8 Tributo Comparison Test

Discussion in '360/430' started by nickorette, Aug 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    #1 nickorette, Aug 15, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    Ferrari of Toronto gave me an invite to drive the new F8 Tributo. Interested to see how the game has changed after 3 whole generations of mid-engined V8’s, I drove my F430 down to the dealership. Oddly enough I find them a bit difficult to compare because the F430 has moved into modern classic territory and no longer has to be the bestest, fastest or have to keep up with the latest offerings. It can represent itself on with own driving experience without having to compete. The F430 represents peak analog while the F8 represents the peak modern technology and engineering.

Not sure how Pinafarina does it, but walking away from my parked F430 I can’t help but look back. It has an aggressive stance with wide bulging air intakes; those wide hips and tall backlid slip down and focus onto a sloping and wide hood. The lines all flow correctly and there is a cohesion in the design language. There isn’t an angle that doesn’t look right. I spent some time inside filling out paperwork and perusing the Bianco Fuji Portofino and Rossa Corsa 488 GTB they had in the showroom before I’m told the car is ready. I walk out and see the Rosso Corsa F8 sitting in the sun. The design is striking. The S duct makes a big difference to the front end and it looks stunning and modern. I wasn’t a fan of some design elements of the 458 and 488 but from a design point to me everything on this car makes sense and really elevates it above the previous two models. This looks like a special car.

Getting into the F8 the first thing you notice is the jump in interior quality. I’m OCD and my cars have to be perfect. In the F430 my carbon was polished, sticky no more done, my leather was properly cleaned to get away the shiny and bespoke leathering dye applied to any bolster/seat wear. The interior is as good now as it came from the factory. However you can tell that the F430 looks more handbuilt with how the stitching waves ever so slightly, the sun visor fitment and other slight imperfections most probably wouldn’t notice. The F8 is perfect, not a single thing out of place. Interior design is much more modern as expected and feels more expensive. It is well appointed with carbon and alcantara everywhere.

The scuttle on the F8 is much higher, you feel a bit more cocooned into the cockpit. On the F430 the scuttle is low and placing the front end is a little easier. At 6’1” and my hair often brushes the rooflining on the F430, but everything was clear on the F8. Rear visibility is also reduced, the rear window seems both farther away and smaller. Side mirrors are good in F8 so you never feel nervous changing lanes in traffic and the car quickly shrinks around you.

Maneuvering in tight parking at slow speeds is a breeze in the F8. The dual clutch making no fuss of precise movement. In the F430 it is basically like trying to maneuver with a manual but you have a hand tied behind your back not being able to modulate clutch and gas precisely and independently. My car also wasn’t spec’d with parking sensors so that doesn’t help either.

First impressions out on the road is that the steering is much lighter in F8. It is very easy to turn but precise. Doesn’t give as much feedback as F430 but at the same time I wouldn’t say it was numb or anything. You never feel like you’re playing a computer game which can be a criticism of some EPAS systems. Damping is much better in F8. The car is not bothered by undulations and bumps however you don’t feel as much of the road surface being transmitted into your seat. You could possibly get similar levels of damping on F430 by switching over to slippery road mode but then you’d lose the throttle and steering response. While I didn’t get the chance to hustle the F8 down a bumpy back road, I get the feeling this car wouldn’t be hitting bump stops or bottoming out as the F430 often does.

Opening up the F8 it’s amazing at how fast this machine is. You’re pushed hard into the back of your seat and your stomach gets light like you’re on a roller coaster. The car pulls hard to the redline and keeps pulling but it’s all very smooth, easy and it never feels like it’s getting out from under you. The F430 feels raw and violent, like a stripped out racecar. You accelerate hard and you can feel the engine like it’s bolted to your spine. The front end lifts significantly under acceleration and your senses are on high alert as everything feels like it’s been turned up to 11.

Throttle response is pretty good on F8, you can tell there is a tiny bit of lag if you are looking for it but in general I think most wouldn’t notice. The F430 on race mode is next level, you can literally just flex your toe and the car is moving forward instantly.

Part of the reason I liked the F1 in the F430 was because of the satisfaction during shifting. The little kicks gave me more interaction with the car then say a PDK where sometimes I wasn’t even sure if I changed gears it was so smooth. Oddly enough the F8 also has a satisfying kick –not from the shifts but how the car accelerates hard after the next gear is selected.

Brakes are easier to modulate on the F8. There is more travel to work with vs the CCB on the F430 that require more precision pedal work to get exactly what you want out of it. They also squeak a bit but that’s normal I’m told for 1st gen CCB.

The F8 sounds good, the hot tube allows you to hear the V8 soundtrack and makes you a part of the experience. They didn’t engineer in fake pops and gurgles that a lot of other brands have done which makes it sound more authentic. I wouldn’t say it is a loud car and opening the windows didn’t seem to make much difference to volume. The F430 sounds like a race car. It is very raw but is also multi-layered and complex. It makes very different sounds depending on where you are on rev range and how hard the engine in working.

Overall I think the F8 is an amazing accomplishment. An excellent piece of engineering that allows for literally all of the bases to be covered. Looks, speed, ease of use, comfort, sound, feel, this car has everything and really goes to show how far things have come in the past 15 years of development. The F430 was released 3 years before the first iphone came out yet somehow still feels relevant and timeless. This car nowadays represents a more singular and focused raw driving experience, an intoxicating and addictive analog connection that is tough to match. Strangely these cars are different enough that one could have both in the collection and not feel like there is too much overlap.

Special thanks to Ferrari of Toronto and Louie for the drive. It was a pleasure to take the F8 out, they are friendly, knowledgeable and I would highly recommend anyone in the market in Toronto to get in touch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

F8 Review:
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/ferrari-f8-tributo-review.627293/

Attached Files:

Sean Chen, CAV 430, Themaven and 16 others like this.
  2. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    I take the F430 all day long.

3. SRLC716

SRLC716 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 15, 2019
    Buffalo
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Really enjoyed reading this. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

DOWORKFCAR, catdog, cole328 and 2 others like this.
  4. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

The 430 has too much electronics to be considered a classic...heck the youngest 430 is 11 years old. The first modern classic for me is the 355.
    Id take the 430>tributo but I like the tributo looks much better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sean Chen, Gated and nickorette like this.
  5. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    Well-written article, thanks.
    The F8 looks designewise like the direct successor of the F430, the other way around the F430 design seems very strong and timeless to me.

Sean Chen, nickorette and 9650max like this.
  6. nickorette

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    That's interesting but I think you're right! The large air intakes on the F430 does make it have a strong presence, but the F8 definitely looks like more of a successor then the 458 and 488

7. dweintra

dweintra Karting

Aug 16, 2012
    Seattle, WA and Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Don Weintraub
    catdog likes this.
  8. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    as owner of a 2007 F430 spider...I too love this thread! thanks for the review ....i am never selling this car.

Sean Chen likes this.
  9. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    Well written. My issue with the twin-turbo ferraris is they lack sound or better yet they sound like a Lexus. The F8 is fast,newer, "better", but what is lost by all this technology being pushed? Just the other day I was in my 1956 190SL 4-cylinder and a new Ferrari, not an F8 started tailing me and then pulled next to me. The car had paper plates, so it was new. My 190SL was LOUDER than the Ferrari and when the guy accelerated, you could barely hear the car, I was shocked and dismayed. There are a few videos of the F8 on youtube you can view.

Hawkeye likes this.
  10. catdog

catdog Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2010
    @nickorette, thank you for the post, it was really nice to read...

this is the guy, Frank Stephenson, responsible for the F430 design which I also love and here a youtube video explaining how he did it ... Enjoy !

Sean Chen likes this.
  11. nickorette

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    Interesting, thank-you!

Sadly not a lot of modern content on the F430. AutotopNL did some nice videos recently though I'd recommend

12. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    Pininfarina

13. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    You could just modify the twin turbo's exhaust. Turbo cars don't really need mufflers. Turbo's are pretty good mufflers. Trouble is all you achieve is louder woosh woosh pop pop noises. Very hard to make a turbo car sound good. These days though, performance and emissions are everything.

imahorse and nickorette like this.
  14. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    My Alfa Quadrifoglio twin turbo has
    a muffler bypass feature in race mode.
    Sounds nice but in no way the scream on a naturally aspirated car with an aftermarket exhaust.
    Maybe Im old school but on a performance Italian car thats a must have.

nickorette likes this.
  15. seareveler

seareveler Rookie

Mar 3, 2012
    Miami Beach,FL & Kennebunkport, ME
    Full Name:
    RJ Slager
    I have a F430 and I plan to keep it indefinitely for all the reasons in the article. I skipped the 458 and 488 as I was not excited with the looks. I traded my Lamborghini in and ordered a F8 last December and am waiting for her to be built. I have added headers on the 430, reprogrammed the ECU and have kline 200 Cats and exhaust on order to get her to peak performance and good sound levels. I picked her up, a 2006 spider, in 2012 with 5k miles. I added extra carbon trim and now have 9k miles on her with a recent ceramic treatment and she looks showroom new. I plan to keep the F8 indefinitely as well. The F430 is at our Summer home in Maine and the F8 will reside at our Miami Beach home. They both fit there locations. Maine laid back and Miami fast paced and exciting. So I get to look forward to and enjoy each for about six months a year. I cannot think of a better retirement plan than enjoying both creations.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Sean Chen, dweintra, bupilot and 4 others like this.
  16. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I just spent four days at Ferrari Challenge hanging over a fence listening to them —488C (one 458C and one F8 pace car)accelerate up hill— they sound good on the downshifts.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

17. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    The 430 is the better looking car in the pics above. Starting with the 458 Ferrari got too “spaceship-y”. The 458 shape is great if it had wings. It just looks weird with wheels.

430 is a beautiful car.

nickorette likes this.
  18. nickorette

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    The F430 definitely has cleaner and more defined lines, they have better purpose and flow. While I like the design of the F8 over 458 & 488, in my opinion it is overstyled in comparison to F430

cole328 likes this.
  19. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I really enjoy Gordon Murray’s version of automobile styling. The car is all about the driver..... I dislike the look of most new cars. The Senna is the worst looking car I’ve ever seen.

Performify likes this.
  20. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    I am of course biased, as an owner of a 2007 F430 spider...but I Agree! I am keeping (and driving as much as possible) it for as long as I can Always puts a smile on my face when I crack a shift at 8,000+ Lot of car for $109K