360 - Front bumper repaint | FerrariChat

360 Front bumper repaint

Discussion in '360/430' started by 550nitis, Aug 16, 2020.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    Getting quotes to get the old girl fresh again. Went to a shop here in LA and they are asking $7,500 to repaint both rocker panels, front bumper and a paint correction.

Does this seem like a good price?

2. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Does that also include the hood and fenders? Or literally just the bumper and two rocker panels below the doors?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. DeTomasoGTS74

DeTomasoGTS74 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2016
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Oengus and Caphill like this.
  4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i wld think 2500 does the job

Oengus likes this.
  5. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    Literally the bumper and the rockers.

6. SRLC716

SRLC716 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 15, 2019
    Buffalo
    Full Name:
    Sam
    That price is utter absurdity. $2-3k max for that job, and that should get you a top notch result.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Oengus, Caphill and Husker like this.
  7. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Find someone who actually wants the job.

Apollo 11 and SoftwareDrone like this.
  8. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Folks often think of a price they want or "should" pay but often it is not based in the reality of what it actually costs. I do this kind of work and have been doing it for about 30 years now. I've posted before on the subject. Prices on materials have skyrocketed. Labor is highly contingent on location. Cost can also be directly related to how picky you are.

I'm currently having a 1937 Cadillac grill re-chromed for a project. A local shop will do it for $1500. The Finishing Touch in CA does concourse restoration on chrome; their price is $3500 to $4500. And believe me, you will see a huge difference between the two examples-- to say the least.
    Food for thought.

Need4Spd likes this.
  9. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

wow , I paid $60 in China. And that includes labor for removing the bumper. Not the best quality but acceptable.

10. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    That is an absurdly high price. Keep looking.

Oengus likes this.
  11. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Id pay whatever it takes on a f40. On a 360 no reason to pay 2 or 3x.

12. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    On [insert car make and model] no reason to pay 2x or 3x.

13. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    Reached out the dealer...the dealer and they said it was high. The odd thing it's that it's coming from a great body shop that is known for giving fair prices.

14. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    #14 KC360 FL, Aug 18, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    That should tell you something... "great work" is never the cheapest. And the dealer is qualified to assess pricing on such work? how?
    As I said in an earlier post, they probably "thought" it was high. Again putting an arbitrary price on what folks "think" it should cost is of no value without those folks having any experience in what it is they are "thinking" of what the costs should be.

Always interesting to me how folks here so concerned with resale values of their Ferraris but are willing to compromise on the quality of the repairs both cosmetically and mechanically.

15. SpencerMarks

SpencerMarks Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2017
    Woodstock, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Spencer
    Please explain how in the hell 7,000 $ makes sense to repaint a single front bumper and 2 rocker panels. I’m sorry but just because we own a Ferrari doesn’t mean we should accept ridiculous uncharges such as these.

ItalGerBrit likes this.
  16. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Happy to explain...

Remove all parts. Prep and repair as necessary. Prime, sand and reseal parts. Paint parts and hope for a perfect match-- which without blending into the surrounding panels will be nothing short of dumb luck. Wet sand all parts. Modify or fabricate fixtures to secure parts for buffing. Buff all parts. Reinstall all parts.

The OP said that the price also included "paint correction" which if done correctly includes wet sanding the entire car to remove "orange peel" from the paint. A process that is as timely as it is risky considering the unknown thickness of the clear coat that is remaining on the original paint after years of degradation and waxing. Something my shop will not do for the reasons stated. When we wet sand the paint on cars we build and buff it takes about 40 hours. We start with 1200 or 1500 grit wet sanding and move onto a 2500 grit wet sandpaper-- over the entire car. Then we follow with a wool pad buff and that is followed by a foam pad finishing polish.

I hope that explains "how in the hell 7000 $ makes sense" for what the OP is asking to have done.

Do you do this kind of work, Spencer? Is that how you have come to the conclusion that $7000 is a "ridiculous upcharge"

17. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    If they are wet sanding the entire car, then yes 7k makes sense, but if it's that bad wouldn't it be close to the price of just repainting the whole car and ensuring a match. Couldn't be more than 10k to properly paint the entire thing since there shouldn't be any big body repair work or replacement parts.

18. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin

Hey KCG I have a question about painting just the bumper and not being able to make a good match without blending into other panels. I don't understand why one couldn't paint a test area on the bumper and see if it is a perfect match to the rest of the bumper paint before painting the whole bumper. I never got into paining but I am curious why this cant be done.

19. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    It can be done. But it usually requires an expert in color to be able to tint the base coat to a near perfect match. And it will involve multiple spray out cards in direct light (a daylight balanced LED light spray booth) to be sure of a perfect match in proper lighting to the panels you are trying to match it to. And even then with the different flop adjusters and transparent or opaque dyes in the color coat it can look different at different angles in various lighting situations.

I only say it can't be done because most folks (painters) are not usually at the level of a true "color" person to do that.
    I recently had a man bring me a 1965 Mustang from Washington (I'm in Florida) because of a repaint of the hood from a carb fire. Nobody in his area he could find could or would attempt to match the paint. We were able to mix the match but it took a whole day to get it perfect to the front fenders. Mix, tint, spray out and repeat-- always keeping enough paint in the mixing cup to do the job in the event you get it perfect. Not much good to you to get it perfect but end up not having enough paint to do the job!

Regards, Ken

Need4Spd and Kevin Rev'n like this.
  20. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    #20 KC360 FL, Aug 18, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    We only paint the cars we build. Painting the car usually approaches $30K alone once the car is ready for the spraybooth. But remember we will totally disassemble the car. Glass out, all hardware and latches removed, everything. We will base coat (color) on all parts inside and out separately. Then we place all the parts onto the vehicle with only enough bolts to hold them in place. Then we follow with the last 2 coats of color to assure panel to panel match of the layout. Parts are then carefully removed and set out once again separately and clear coated inside and out. When we are done there is absolutely no way to tell the paintwork from the original factory painted car-- but of course we still have to totally assemble and wet sand and buff the entire car. And when it is done of course it is head and shoulders above any factory paint job.

Affordable paint jobs are a thing of the past. As with everything prices have gone up. Most bodyshops shy away from paint jobs-- they know there is no money in it when considering the time, effort and expectations of most customers with a "special" car. Even if it is only special to them.

Need4Spd and Husker like this.
  21. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    OK so here's a funny story. My wife used to have a red BMW 328i (it's been quite a few years, but back then it was a newer car). The thing had shading - one door panel was off from another, or from a fender, FROM THE FACTORY! Car had never been repainted, but the darn panels didn't quite match and it drove me nuts! Like nails on a chalkboard nuts! I took it to a body shop and they said "no, that's factory paint...but we can fix it." :D

Ken have you heard of such?

22. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I’m actually repainting my bumper now. I'm into this for about 1000 just in supplies and paint...rosso corsa from ppg. I expect great results from a highly rated italian spray gun i shipped from italy for my Italian car. Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    I can see 30k on a restoration of a vintage car or a show car, but a street driven car even a Ferrari doesn’t need this kind of work. My Red 2012 Mercedes was fully repainted the same color under warranty due to a clear coat failure and the dealer told me the bill was about 9k to Mercedes. I don’t see any tape lines or any indication of the repair other that it actually looks better than it did when new.

Cheers,
    Corey

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

24. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Absolutely. Have heard about it and seen it.

25. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    And they probably matched the factory surface "peel" without any wet sanding or disassembly of any parts. To add, as it is in most cases, a matter of how particular you are. No disrespect intended, but to be sure a 2012 MB is not in the same category as a Ferrari and indeed is probably not as "special" a car to you as your Ferrari is. As they say, "the devil is in the details."

Most Ferrari owners are quite discerning and do not regard their cars as a DD trade in in the near future. Which is why so many times new perspective buyers of a 20 year old Ferrari are so concerned about paint thicknesses.
    So given the price you were quoted (around 8 years ago?) for a respray; that's probably about right. But to add, I'm betting that same respray would be significantly more today.

Regards, Ken