Apple Carplay on Lusso - hardwired only? | FerrariChat

Apple Carplay on Lusso - hardwired only?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by sandman03456, Aug 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sandman03456

sandman03456 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    If the car is already spec'd for Apple Carplay, can Apple Carplay be used via Bluetooth on a Lusso or must a cord be attached to the phone via the center console?

2. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Wired. Wireless Carplay is a relatively new addition to the automotive world. I only really started hearing cars featuring it starting with 2020 model years.

Porsche, BMW, Kia etc. have just started introducing it into their cars. The feature is usually paired with wireless charging due to obvious synergy. I don't see Ferrari adding wireless carplay anytime soon.

Ironically, the FF was the first car ever to get Carplay. One of the few times when Ferrari is actually ahead of the curve for infotainment!

3. padebus

padebus Karting

Mar 22, 2014
    Wireless only possible when using “CARPLAY2air“ adapter. It’s working just fine

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

4. sandman03456

Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    What is this device? An add-on piece of equipment or an app or both?

5. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    So will this work with a 2015 ff without apple CarPlay, just the iPhone 11 Pro.

6. padebus

padebus Karting

Mar 22, 2014
    for Sandman, it’s an additional small device available via internet, not an app. It connects automatically when you activate the carplay in the Ferrari infotainment system. I assume it works on the FF too. All the best.

sandman03456 likes this.
  7. padebus

padebus Karting

Mar 22, 2014
    for Papou, without Carplay installed in the Ferrari infotainment it’s not working.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

papou likes this.
  8. sandman03456

Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    Just ordered one. Company based in China. Thanks for the advice.

9. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    BTW I love having carplay. Yes it's hardwired but damn it's worth having. I think it's the right way to make car electronics.

Caeruleus11 and sampelligrino like this.
  10. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    Highjacking this thread because I dont think it's really worth creating a new one for this, but anybody knows if there is a way to have Apple CarPlay actually use the entire width of the screen? As it is it leaves about 5cm of unused screen on each side. On my BMW, it takes the full width and that is the same ratio than the Lusso screen so for sure it's not an Apple CarPlay limitation. (+ it's wireless in the BMW...)

11. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Bumping this thread since my other thread hasn't got a response, my Ferrari dealer showed me a genuine accessory brochure for GTC4 Lusso with the usual carbon pieces, car covers, etc and Apple CarPlay. He said Italy can supply and the dealer will fit for an all-up price of $A6400 which is $US4350.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  12. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    Sounds about right, The FF has the same aftermarket option for about 45000 sek (local currency) so it is about @US4500.

It is clearly cheaper to by a Pioneer or Clarion without Ferraris help - same features and then some more, like Android Auto, wireless of course.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  13. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Except then you have to make sure the power level is suitable for the speakers in the car- and if you need to replace the speakers, then you are better off with a separate amp, and it never ends. We are now at the time where you can’t order these cars as you like, so we are having to make follow on decisions from the original one made on whether to order the hi-fi and/or CarPlay. Its almost always the better choice to get these things from the factory.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

14. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I’ve asked my dealer if the factory kit will work exactly as if it was installed in a new car. If it does, I’m interested. I’ve got CarPlay in most of my cars and although I don’t always use it, I like to have the option.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. veelangs

veelangs Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2021
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Vee
    I got a Sony A7000 installed in my FF and it's one of the few aftermarket headunits I know of that works with the factory amp and speakers. Other than the xtra wiring harness and adapters it was relatively plug and play. It doesn't play too nice with the wireless adapters though, I have the newest ottocast adapter and I couldn't get the sound to transmit, just the image :(

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  16. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I’ve ordered the factory kit on the proviso the dealer will uninstall and give me my money back if it doesn’t work exactly the same as an OE fitment. It will take 2-3 weeks to get here but I’ll post it up once it’s done.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  17. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Duff Ace and Caeruleus11 like this.
  18. Duff Ace

Duff Ace Karting

Oct 19, 2020
    Tampa FL
    Full Name:
    Adam Taylor
    Sooo is there a way to get the Apple car play screen on the full display?

350MH83 likes this.
  19. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    Not that I have found. I know people in the BMW community have found a way to recode Carplay so that it's fullscreen. But obviously not so much push to get a similar solution on the Lusso... The market is not the same size!

20. tontondavid

tontondavid Rookie

Sep 19, 2022
    Full Name:
    David Leng
    hello,

Was the price with or without installation?
    the dealer I asked in New York said it was 30k to get it retrofitted !

thanks

21. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #21 mhh, Sep 19, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
    Price was with installation. I wasn’t offered a price without install. I paid the same as I would have if I’d ordered it on my original build.

22. tontondavid

tontondavid Rookie

Sep 19, 2022
    Full Name:
    David Leng
    Thanks for your reply. Do you happen to have the part number or any info on where to get the part? I assume you’re not in the US right?

cheers

23. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I’m travelling in Italy at the moment and will be home in Australia at the end of the month. I’ll see if I can find a part number. The kit was bought from the Ferrari factory through my dealer.

24. tontondavid

tontondavid Rookie

Sep 19, 2022
    Full Name:
    David Leng
    Cool.
    Thank you.

25. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name: