Ferrari Today - There's Something Missing | Page 10 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Today - There's Something Missing

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Rossocorsa1, Jul 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    There is nothing missing from my 458 Spider. I love this car.

Life begins at 9,000 rpms. :D

x z8 and Texas Forever like this.
  2. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

#227 NuorderSG, Aug 14, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    Sorry...if you ever tracked it, or did spirited driving on mountain roads, you'll realize it's missing good brakes.

x z8 likes this.
  3. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    It has carbon ceramic brakes, same material as a Formula One car, that stop a 458 from
    60mph to a standstill in 80 feet. I thought you were going to mention cowl shake and I was prepared to agree to an extent at least, but as far as brakes go, I can’t fault them or consider them below par, unless below service temperature.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

4. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Fair enough. Though, the materials might be great, but it's a system inclusive of electronics and software. Again, the shortcomings are relative....not discussing in absolute terms.

I am comparing against the PCCB system which is massive and has the right amount of pedal "feel" and electronics to allow the driver to dial in the amount of braking needed...much better than anything on the 458, IMHO.

Though, perhaps the Speciale might be a better comparison...but never driven one on the track.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  5. robstand

robstand Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 13, 2019
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Robert S.
    A C8 Laviolette can easily top $300k. In 2013, they were going for $150k on eBay.

The Spyder is around $250k.

6. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    But, but, he has a Ferrari. Nobody lives forever. Why not enjoy while you can?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

7. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I admit I probably should have never owned any Ferrari, and I found each one I bought I kept for less time than the one before. I understand you people feel some emotional attachments, or just feel emotion when you drive, but just imagine you feel nothing. The only thing you judge is how good the machine is for the purpose you have for it. You probably cant because emotion plays a part in every decision you make and everything you do, whether you know it or not. I have studied normal humans behavior (even learned to mimic it to some degree) for longer than some of you have been alive, and while sometimes I envy you, most of the time I don't really understand you. Ferrari's are nice to look at, but I find them underwhelming machines that are only passable when pushed to limits you cannot or should not reach on the street. I have already made my newest Porsche Targa 4S into a better machine than the 458 spider I just got rid of and when I am done with the 4C spider it will make most modern Ferrari's feel tame. Driving a car with over 650hp that weighs less than a Miata with no traction controls that recently almost (the front wheels came of the ground at 120mph) killed me probably would not be most peoples idea of fun. Fear is the only emotion I can truly feel and so I build machines that do just that (even though no sane person will even get in some of them), and to test my skill. There will come a time when I cannot handle those machines safely and perhaps then I will find a purpose for another Ferrari. Until then I have said goodbye to Ferrari ownership, I wonder how many of you would even own one if you were like me incapable of feeling emotion from a machine.

NuorderSG and Texas Forever like this.
  8. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Emotion from a machine... I’ll have to think on that. The only talent I have is I can drive machines. I’m not the best, but I can drive. (You don’t want to see me try to play golf.) Does a car or a motorcycle speak to me? Yes. I cut my teeth riding ‘60s Triumph motorcycles. If you took a corner a little too hard, they would start doing a hula just to let you know you were pushing its limits. Same thing with an early 911. So yes, a car or motorcycle speaks to me.

My problem with modern cars is the limits are so high I’m not comfortable going that fast on public roads. So I dial it back and enjoy the feeling of every thing working the way it is supposed to. Listening as the tires just start to howl. Miatas are great for that. Porsches are fun. But, a Ferrari is more fun. But, like the song says, you gotta love the one you’re with. Hell, the reason I keep my POS Jensen Healey is it reminds me of those old Triumphs. Fun is fun, but if you have too much fun, you’re going to get hurt.

I dunno if that answers your question. I like driving Ferraris because they are fun cars to drive, not because I feel any emotional bond.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    ^^^^^^
    This!

Except, I regularly "have too much fun", but like another song says, it's hurts so good! :)

Texas Forever likes this.
  10. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I started this thread because I was curious to read varying thoughts on what emotions the Ferrari brand illicits in each of us and why. I took a dive a few years ago and ordered a bispoke 488GTB. I loved the process and the car, but there was something missing. I sold it after a year and a half and decided to delve deeply into the areas where my true passion lies - the cars that I loved as a teen. I couldn’t be happier. But, that isn’t to say I don’t think that the modern Ferrari company and its products aren’t remarkable. Most importantly, though certain generations may not hold intense enthusiasm for it, rest assured, millions of young boys AND girls, and young adults all over the world dream of Ferrari’s just as we did when we were younger. Like many things in life, our passions are often formed in the early years.

Gary Sandberg and imahorse like this.
  11. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    I've definitely noticed that most car enthusiasts gravitate toward what is popular when they are a teenager. Hell, I just turned 30 (I still am trying to come to terms with that ) and I don't really feel the need to pursue a weekend car newer than the mid 2000s. The cars of today are completely different machines than those of 20 years ago.

12. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Took great pleasure in reading your post and agree with most of your analysis.

I do feel an emotional attachment to a Ferrari, but not to begin with. I don’t go inside a Ferrari with a pre-conceived idea that it’s going to be great because it’s a Ferrari and they all are (they’re most certainly not).

I feel the emotional bond ends up being a consequence of how much fun you have and not the other way round. If I have fun, personally I find it impossible not to develop some sort of affection for a car.

Kindest regards,

Nuno.

13. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    We care for someone with a similar logic over emotion situation so I can say this is familiar to me. Only he does not even acknowledge cars. Interestingly, this week I was looking at the shape of the F12 in the garage while covered in cotton sheets (don't use the cover) and its design is quite striking. This time I ran my hand lightly over some of the sculpted panels. You can feel the beauty in the shape. Of course this is of zero interest without emotion but I have much respect for the talent of the designers who could achieve this level of competence. On the practical side I would not own it if it were not for its V12 powerplant and crazy power. I do enjoy reading your posts and it also gives me insight into what's might be going on in his head.

14. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Fun, like everything else you feel everyday is an emotion. I have never felt fun, anger, sorrow, or anything close to what you feel every day. Everyday is essentially the same. All of of us that have what I do tend to be different, it is not a disease where everyone gets the same symptoms. I am very highly functional, (many people have no idea I am what I am I am very good at acting normal), but you cannot even understand what it is like to not feel emotions, your emotions would not let you. In some ways I would have probably lead a very different life if I were normal, but not having emotions get in the way makes my mind able to focus in ways a normal person cannot, and I learned to use that to do everything from invent things, to study patterns in the markets, write books, poetry, music. I learned about everything from science to history. I do consider myself to have somehow beaten the odds (I did die a few times before I was 20) to still be here, and to be able to have done what I have and to have been able to help many people and animals. I do not expect any of you to understand to even think without emotion is something you a incapable of, just I am incapable of the opposite. In order for something to be useful to me it must serve a purpose (to an extent I even see people that way), and if a car (as an example) no longer serves a purpose I no longer own it. I don't know what is going on in the persons head you are referring to, but I usually become interested in something because I think I can make it better, and then I figure out how to. When I say better, I mean better to serve my purpose for it.

Solid State and Texas Forever like this.
  15. bernieb

bernieb Karting

Apr 16, 2007
    Alberta Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernard J Bonertz
    Are you a true sociopath...or a product of immense self discipline?

16. Gary Sandberg

Gary Sandberg Formula Junior

It was this thread that got me to thinking and then posting my ferrari experience. I agree that the company has changed as has the entire corporate world. The branding has perhaps surpassed the importance of the product in some cases.

But, as a 16 year old kid approaching Ferrari to review my designs and for them to say yes....... My automotive heart belongs to Ferrari

tomc and Texas Forever like this.
  17. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    After being studied by eighteen doctors for a scientific paper, I cannot tell you (or could they) exactly what I am. I am incapable of harming anything, anger, jealousy, hate, joy, happiness, sorrow, or almost any feeling or emotion you deal with everyday. I have lost many people in life never felt a thing, and morning is also something that seems like a waste of time to me. You live, you die, that is how I see things. I do help many of those less fortunate, why you ask because I do know what it is like to beg for food, sleep in a dumpster, be beaten with a baseball bat for my shoes, and to die multiple times and be brought back. I like to think I'm just luckier than most, and I need to learn new things every day. Do any of you truly know what you are?

18. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    One captivating aspect about modern Ferrari is the Icona line. While I’ve heard a lot of speculation about what’s to come, I have not seen anything recently. And, of course, I wait with great anticipation for the LaFerrari successor. I’d be lying if I didn’t say the anticipation for these cars isn’t extremely exciting.

19. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Because I'm a driver, not a lover, new Ferraris or new whizbangs for that matter don't interest me. You can't (or shouldn't) drive these cars on the street at anywhere close to their limits and my track days are over.

Now, if Ferrari built an updated version of my old Maser Spyder, see pics, with an DCT and improved handling, I'd get excited.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Okay, I'm not a shrink, but clearly you're a curious cat. Is curiosity a trait or an emotion?

21. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

They already do. It's call the Portofino. Enjoy.

22. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Nope. Two seats only.

Gary Sandberg likes this.
  23. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

Okay, you didn't specify that. Regardless, anyone who likes open top driving should experience the Portofino. I'm personally more of a coupe man, but the Portofino is a remarkable car.

24. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Perhaps. But a sports car is a top that drops over two seats. It is a 100% impractical car. It makes no sense. That is why it makes sense.

imahorse, Gary Sandberg and G. Pepper like this.
  25. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I don't think of it as curiosity which is not related to emotion. My brain works differently and I need to keep learning every waking moment. It might be how to make pickles, or the theory of relativity, I will study almost anything. I have become a person of great knowledge, that 99% of people could care less about. Car forums (I have no other social media contacts in fact I think they should all be out out of business since they do far more harm than good), are my way of being among people and I read more of what others write than post myself.