Do you use your factory car cover? | FerrariChat

Do you use your factory car cover?

Discussion in '360/430' started by CoreyNJ, Aug 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    I haven’t had the opportunity to drive my car for the past week and a half due to crappy weather. When looking at the layer of dust on it in my garage, I was thinking that I might put the cover on, but figure it’s a pain in the butt to put on/off.

Do you guys actually use the car cover or do you just rinse the car with RO water or something before you go for a drive?

Cheers,
    Corey

2. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    What factory car cover? I was lucky mine came with both seats lol.

3. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    In my garage the car stayed nice and clean without a cover.

KC360 FL likes this.
  4. BlacktopRacing

BlacktopRacing Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    I only use it when I anticipate not having an opportunity to drive it for more than a week AND, it happens to be extra clean. In other words, I use it very rarely.

whatheheck, FerRrari and cole328 like this.
  5. marknkidz

marknkidz Formula 3

Oct 7, 2004
    so cal
    Full Name:
    mark
    Always!! i am so OCD.. i even put a clear plastic cover over my factory cover in garage! CRAZY i know... now to figure out why i cant sleep at night! :)

FerrfanFL and ScottJon like this.
  6. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I use it all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

John_K_348 likes this.
  7. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Since the car might not move for a month or more, I use it all the time

one4torque likes this.
  8. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

9. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    All the time. Is easy to put on and off, and the car is ready to go when I am.

10. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Corey

I would not use any cover unless both car and cover are absolutely clean

Even that being said ..small swirls or scratches will occur

If the dust bothers you and you want to have a clean car every time you go out

Wax, seal, ceramic coat your car after a good polish and then use a quick rinse with distilled water and blow it with a leaf blower and then drive

I am looking to do this since I always pick up dirt even going around the block and I rather leave it dirty then cover it

When it gets bad enough a quick foam wash with a distilled water rinse and blow dry on a smooth coated car is quick and easy with the right tools..like a foam cannon and a portable power washer

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

11. tmvatlanta

tmvatlanta Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2017
    Covington GA
    Full Name:
    Tam V.
    I wash it with Optimum No Rinse after every drive then put the cover on. I only put on the cover right after a wash.
    It’ll alwyas be ready and clean for the next drive.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

SoftwareDrone likes this.
  12. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    How does Optimum No Rinse compare to the Griots stuff?

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/brilliant+finish+rinseless+wash+64+ounces.do

I use that on both my Porsche's as a drying aid after I wash them due to the curse of dark cars (black and midnight blue metallic).

I haven't tried using it on the Ferrari as I have been only using Griots Brilliant Finish in a foam gun and then just drying it the old fashioned way using large towels.

Thanks,
    Cheers,
    Corey

13. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    All the time. Quick wipe with waterless spray (Griot's something) and cover on (the soft-on-the-inside red OEM stuff)

14. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I don't use my oem cover as ranch cats are to hairy to want to cover it. I use a cheap costco or other cover to keep the car clean ( or cats off it) while not driving it. My oem hasn't ever been out of the bag...pretty bad I know but I drive the car all the time!

15. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You can perform open heart surgery in my garage. Having said that, every time I drive the car (which is often), as soon as I get home, I either wash and dry the car, or dust it off/quick detail it, then put the cover on. If I don't have time to wash the car, I'll quick detail the roof and put the wadded up cover on the roof until I have time to wash it. So when the cover is on, it gives me a sense of completion.

Kevin Rev'n likes this.
  16. Apollo 11

Apollo 11 Karting

Feb 11, 2019
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I only drive mine on the weekends, so I put it on during the week. Only takes about 1 to 2 minutes to put it on. Not a big deal.

I wash the cover about once a year. Throw it in the washing machine, then let it air-dry on a close line.

17. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    when i first got it i would put it on after each wash. now i almost never use it

sparetireless likes this.
  18. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    If I know it will sit for a long period of time so most of the time its off, daily I use Griot micofiber duster works Great even on a Nero exterior.

19. unreelviper

unreelviper Karting

Jan 9, 2014
    DMV
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have a spider so I don’t use mine at all. The red felt on the inside of the cover, gets on to my soft top and it is a pain to brush out. I bought an aftermarket cover without the felt lining.

20. PKIM

PKIM Karting

Jan 1, 2004
    Redlands
    Full Name:
    Paul
    My car is 100% garage kept and I always use the cover. Car is ceramic coated so I also use the no rinse after every drive followed by F12 coat.
    I

21. Dean Palmer

Dean Palmer Formula Junior

May 21, 2010
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Dean Palmer
    Even though my car is garaged in a clean, temp and humidity controlled space, and is also ceramic coated, I will not put on a cover unless it's freshly washed. Too many years of seeing covers mark the car, and also the cover pics up the dust even if the car is not immediately damaged. I'm also still a bit sceptical about the ability of ceramic coating to prevent micro abrasions.

22. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    My car did not come with one as 3rd owner. But I got a fleece lined cover for my 348 that fits with a little blousing at the front corners due to the newer molded lines on the 360. But I highly recommend one. I use it every time unless the car gets dirty on a trip. Luckily most of the road grime sits below the belt line so you can still use it after a weekend spin. My garage dates from 1923 and faces into the NW, continental arctic wind from Canada. Even with insulation and weather strip on the garage doors it still is plenty drafty and dusty. In fact I should replace the weather strip as it's perished. Get a cover and use it. It will save the paint even just from UV exposure. Comes in handy when I have to leave the car out in the driveway when I am working on another one.

Apollo 11 likes this.
  23. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Funny thing that it looks like OEM covers are available again. There are a bunch on eBay! I use mine often but then I also do things in the garage that can generate dust so better safe than sorry. Anyone use the cover king brand that has also used the OEM? Are they made well? Comments?

24. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Cover King and Covercraft are both good, with Covercraft the better of the two.

Kevin Rev'n likes this.
  25. Hobacks427

Hobacks427 Karting

Nov 2, 2014
    North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Yes, I do use mine all the time. But never unless the car has is clean (even after short drive). My garage has windows so as a minimum the cover keeps uv exposure down.