Bosch Throttle Body Health Check | FerrariChat

Bosch Throttle Body Health Check

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by EastMemphis, Aug 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I created a gadget that can perform a health check on the throttle bodies in our cars. This checker covers any Bosch part number 0 280 750 xxx.

Things that I've checked:

Potentiometer variances.
    Two potentiometers with the primary going from low volts to high volts is checked against another potentiometer going from high to low volts as the throttle plate moves. These two readings should agree to within (I believe) 200mV. I'm checking for a 50mV variance.

Lag.
    The lag from zero to full throttle indicates the health of the motor. The older the motor, the slower the response and consequently, the higher the amperage drawn from the ECU.

Amp draw.
    The ECU controls and powers the throttle bodies. If the power required to turn the throttle body motor exceeds the ability of the ECU to supply it, the ECU can literally melt (as per 360Trev), and be destroyed by pulling too many amps. Knowing how much power is being drawn can indicate a failing throttle body.

Failing gears.
    The tester will fail immediately if the gears are stripped.

The tester records all readings on a microSD card in 5 and 10 millisecond intervals for later analysis.

Here's a video showing it work:

2. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    Very nice work! Love what you're doing and your documentation of it.

3. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    This is version 0.20 hardware, still breadboard but using a single 12v supply. Software seems pretty stable for this point in the development cycle.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Mor, 24000rpm and albkid like this.
  4. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hello East Memphis:

Your diagnostic testing device is quite interesting. Do you have plans to manufacturer it for in-home use or are you planning on a diagnostic service available to customers if one sends you their throttle bodies.

It you would be great if an in-home device was available that did not require removing the throttles from the engine. Of course, cost might be a determinate in how you might wish to market your device or service and the choice a customer would make.

An inquiring mind would like to know.

Regards,

Jim

5. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm in the process of packaging it up as a standalone box. The tester's connector is the is the same as in the car so it plugs into the throttle body. In theory, the test can be run in the car without disassembling anything other than taking off the connector.

Mor and albkid like this.
  6. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Sounds great.