488 Pista vs 360CS and 430 Scuderia | Page 3 | FerrariChat

488 Pista vs 360CS and 430 Scuderia

Discussion in '360/430' started by JB1997, Aug 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DARIES

DARIES Karting

Aug 16, 2011
    I have both the CS and the Scuderia and I have to say that I love them both.
    I've owned the CS for 11 years and the scuderia from new. they are two very different experience, and thats what I love about these special editions of each model. Its just crazy how they keep improving from one model to the next.
    But they are not for everybody since they are very raw.
    I love these type of cars which give you that race feel experience on the road and can also be used on the track.
    Hopefully I will be able to add a Speciale and a Pista in the future to the lineup, since they are also two amazing cars.
    If you are really in it for this type of driving experience, if you have the time to drive both, if you don't mind looking after older cars, taking care of them ($$$) and working on them, than get the CS and Scuderia.
    But if you are in it just to own something special and you are just comparing the price of 1 car vs 2 cars as a bargain than just buy the Pista, it will be easier to manage, it will make your life a lot easier and which means that you will enjoy it a lot more.
    All that aside, right now I would just buy a McLaren 720 for almost half the price and which blows all these cars away, best bang for the buck.
    Just an honest opinion from a guy who owns a couple cars.

LightGuy, dustman and lewishou like this.
  2. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I’ve owned my CS for 10 years and care for it with an open checkbook at the dealer. I’ve had zero issues. All maintenance has been by the book and the worst bill I’ve had was was the belt service which was no big deal. I’ve had It un-stickied. I have the headliner replaced. I bought new tires a few years ago. No surprises.

These stories of $15k services..... that’s not my experience at all.

jehu999, Oengus, tomc and 1 other person like this.
  3. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
  4. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #54 freshmeat, Aug 15, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    I think in either scenario of Pista vs Scud+CS you would be living quite the good life.

I can totally relate to your disappointment in the sound dept, and that is only natural for anyone going in looking at a Pista expecting NA noises. For a turbo, force induction V8 it sounds pretty remarkable especially when you compare it to the likes of say a McLaren! It’s all a matter of context and perspective, because say someone like me who owns a Scud and CS, I lust for the Pista because it presents a giant leap in performance and offers the sound compliance I need for most the tracks in my area which neither Scud nor CS could hope to satisfy.

So, I could care less about the sound because my non-stock Scud is unequivocally the best sounding NA V8 (F355 really close), even better than my former fully Tubi’d CS. The Speciale doesn’t even come close, it’s way too synthetic and lacks the old-school shrill I’ve come to love from the yesteryears of pre-hybrid F1.

The Pista imho is also one of the nicest non-Pininfarina designs to come out of Maranello where every angle of the design looks like it came from the same sketchbook and doesn’t look like some fish/insect caricature.

If I could only choose 1 of any of the 3 models discussed, I’d pick the Scuderia. It has respectable, contemporary performance (my lap times in it at Sonoma are faster than a 458 Italia w same tires where I was the pilot in either) and the F1 SuperFast gearbox is so unique and will never be replicated again. It also has many of contemporary qualities of the latest gen Ferrari from the LED shift lights, F1 controls on the steering wheel and heck even the same identical race seats as the Pista! All this while still feeling as raw and analog as a CS.

Let’s also not forget it’s the only lightweight V8 co-developed by a 6-time F1 world champion by the name of Michael Schumacher...I’m an avid F1 fan (most of my posts on here are in the F1 section) so that pedigree and story behind the Scuderia just blows my mind every time I sit inside the cockpit and admire all that is Schumie.

I’m also quite the fan of Frank Stephenson’s work and he designed the F430, along w other staggering cars like the Maserati MC12, McLaren P1, 675LT etc He’s retired from the car design industry, so who knows if we’ll ever see another groundbreaking design from him ever again.

There are no losers in your predicament, it’s an awfully good pickle to be in! Happy hunting!

JB1997 likes this.
  5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  6. Scud + 360CS all the way! There is no better visceral (and affordable) modern-classic Ferraris than these two. Great band-for-the-buck. Take this is from someone who also owns a F12tdf, in addition to a Scud.
    BTW: if you can comfortably-afford to buy these three cars, cost of upkeep should not be a buying factor. If you are concerned about upkeep cost, buy a Porsche GT car instead...much lower long-term cost-of-ownership vs. Ferrari.

7. redwood

redwood Karting

Apr 30, 2018
    Brisbane and Edinburgh

Can't agree with you more. CS is just a blast. Ditto Scud. No question Pista is better faster etc, but if you actually want to open up these motors and drive them like Enzo intended, you're much better off in the older cars. Pista is just too much for today's roads.

8. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Having owned a Scud,as with any aging hi performance vehicle,maintenance should be be a concern from a convenience perspective. The integrated coolant/oil pump tend to leak and that’s a 6500 U.S dollar repair. The CF motor covers tend to tarnish. PPI is a must with belly pans removed.
    Insofar as Pista being too much for today’s roads I disagree. Speed can be moderated to suit the road conditions much better than the Scud.

9. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    I have your stock F430 coupe and am quite satisfied with it. Never been in a Scuderia but the fact it is 200lb lighter tells me the car will be more nimble. Do I have any interest in a Scuderia? No

10. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Sold Pista.
    Sold Speciale.
    Sold Performante Spyder.
    Added a CS....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Anything with a Stradale is the answer.

JAM1, Oengus, Mediterranean and 2 others like this.
  12. Mediterranean

Mediterranean Rookie

Jan 3, 2011
    Spain
    Full Name:
    Louis
    CS is a legendary car. You have to see it carefully, drive it and hear it to understand well because it is the most special of all IMHO.

rpmtifosi, Oengus and FORZA 62 like this.
  13. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Love it!!

Stealthssfc likes this.
  14. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I have a Pista and a Scud (I have had a couple of Scuds) the Pista is a great car and I really like it but it is totally different then the Scud which is a true beast some say the CS is even more so but when I start my Scud up in the garage wow it sounds fantastic .. hard call but the Pista will go down in value so buy one when you want while the Scud and CS will be fairly stable price wise ... SO tough call ... I might add a CS one day...

jehu999, ShineKen and marknkidz like this.
  15. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Enough said.....

brookliner7 likes this.
  16. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I love these cars. Congrats

17. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Yes. Drove mine tonight. Glorious

18. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    That's not what Pista owners want to "hear" Larry :).

LARRYH likes this.
  19. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    what can I say it is what it is .. but I really like my Pista.. a lot ....

ShineKen likes this.
  20. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I have a good friend with a "very" small stable of extremely fast cars. Owns a 360 spider but took delivery on a pista in January, He states that it is the only car that he has EVER driven that scares him. BTW...he is a great driver. I would get the pista.

21. jehu999

jehu999 Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2011
    Coastal Central Fl
    Full Name:
    James
    Not in the same league as most of you guys. Never driven a Scud and the Pista is out of my price range. But I have a CS and a 6spMT V12 Vantage which for me is a perfect combo. They are both beautiful and fast enough for street enjoyment. They are also SO different in driving characteristics. When I drive both back to back, I realize how special is the CS. My wife will reluctantly ride in the AM but no longer wants to accompany me in the CS, which is fine by me. With this combo you can buy both and save money for repairs or other toys. I bought both of these used and saved some depreciation dollars. Good luck in your search, you really can't go wrong with any of these.

plastique999, nickorette and dustman like this.
  22. marknkidz

marknkidz Formula 3

Oct 7, 2004
    so cal
    Full Name:
    mark
    Just added the Scud to bunk mate with the CS... havent had a lot of seat time yet.. But, i can tell ya the Scud has much more power, and the shifts are INSANELY quick compared to CS.. On shifting, i thought the CS was fun (i do like the kick ya get!) BUT!! the SCUD is like Mike Tyson punching you in the back when under hard acceleration... each gear change feels as if you are jumping to light speed (again Pista and newer cars are in a different league all together, understood). The Scud feels larger and heavier than the Stradale. The CS feels much more like driving a Go-Kart, you can really feel the difference in the weight. Sound wise, its tough as my CS has a Capristo level III on it, so it sounds like a BEAST all the time (my vote for best sounding V-8 ferrari of all time). The Scud has stock exhaust and really comes alive upon valves opening up.. but, check mark to CS on sound.. I know a lil off topic, just wanted to give OP some food for thought, i was in same position... I dream of the Pista, its absolutely gorgeous!! and performance... WOW!! but in the end the choice was simple for me.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

-K1-, Stealthssfc and ShineKen like this.
  23. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Congrats!
    I just got a CS and find it not exciting enough in the sound dept. What can you tell me about your CS with exhaust?
    Thx,DW

ShineKen likes this.
  24. marknkidz

marknkidz Formula 3

Oct 7, 2004
    so cal
    Full Name:
    mark
    Dustman.... all this is so subjective. All i can say, is I went on a run years and years ago in Malibu, 20 Stradale's!! (was in Forza mag, largest gathering at one time of CS's) guy following me said it was the BEST sounding CS he's ever heard (he was in CS as well).. Now im in CALI so have to run CATS.. it has the high pitched scream of an F-1 car, i never miss a chance to be on the throttle thru a tunnel 7K rpm and windows down! ahhh the small pleasures in life!! if ya ever make it to So. Cal reach out and will take you for a spin... ya can decide for yourself.

25. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    DO what I did and buy the Pista, then save up and get a nice driver CS. The Scud is middle ground and doesn't do sound as well as the CS nor is it as rip roaring fast as the Pista.